I'd like feedback on my Hub: The Transgendered bathroom issue, isn't a real issu

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (33 posts)
  1. NBYomi profile image77
    NBYomiposted 8 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub The Transgendered bathroom issue, isn't a real issue (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. lisavollrath profile image89
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Transgendered isn't a word. Correctly, it would be "The Transgender Restrooom Issue".

1. NBYomi profile image77
        NBYomiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL! Are you serious? That one grammar issue is what's keeping this from being a Hub?

If I didn't find any humor in this, as one who took writing courses in College, this would be embarrassing. But I'll go fix it.

Yes, I'm serious. Transgendered is insulting to some trans people, which you should know if you're going to voice an opinion on transgender issues. If your title is a slur against trans people, why would I read the hub?

2. RJ Schwartz profile image87
        RJ Schwartzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but you are incorrect

Transgendered - adjective

Just because it offends you doesn't mean it isn't a word Lisa,  It's another attempt at forcing people into using pronouns to describe people who cross dress and pretend to be something they are not - I'll never call a man in a dress - she - and neither will most of mainstream America unless the fascist government storm troopers force it upon us like they are doing to our school children.  Being transgendered is a slur on normalcy

Here's the GLAAD media reference guide for transgender issues:
          http://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender

To quote them: "You would not say that Elton John is "gayed" or Ellen DeGeneres is "lesbianed," therefore you would not say Chaz Bono is "transgendered."

I would venture to say, by your answer, that you don't know anyone that doesn't conform to the gender binary. I do. Reducing this discussion to "a man in a dress" shows a lack of understanding of transgender people and the issues they face.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87

GLAAD media reference guide is worth less than a roll of toilet paper.  It's an agenda driven stack of drivel. 

Actually I do know people who cross dress Lisa, just as I know gay people and blacks and Hispanics......the made up term gender binary is just another form of spouting mental illness.  There is no such thing.

If you don't believe there is a gender binary, then you believe there are more than two genders.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
                Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually I do feel that all these new terms are not helping transgender people.

I don't have any trans friends, but I have employed a few, and I don't quite understand why they feel it's necessary to invent a third gender.   If they are a man and they've transitioned to being a woman, why can't they just identify as a woman (or vice versa)?

1. theraggededge profile image87
                  theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ooh... Marissa. Can of worms!

I have been soundly told off by my daughter for referring to one of her friends as 'she', when the friend prefers 'they'.

In a lot of cases, I think it's a fad. In a very few it's a genuine case of neither one or the other.

It's very confusing for us stone-age mothers.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

GLAAD's "agenda" is equal rights for all humans.  Which is nothing to be ashamed of, in my book.

3. lisavollrath profile image89

Calling everything you don't understand, or refuse to accept, a mental illness doesn't make it so, or make you sound clever or edgy.

Refusing to use proper terminology when discussing a minority group's issues is insulting to that group. I would rather take my cue from GLAAD, which took the time to put together a media guide so writers could easily understand and use the terms that don't demean the members of that minority.

Having a different viewpoint isn't a license to be ignorant, mean, or insulting.

2. ProblematicFave profile image69
      ProblematicFaveposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Lisa that transgendered is an incorrect term. You also have a bunch of punctuation errors and the disclaimer at the top is unnecessary and distracting.

Also, you say this: "I'm not heavily convinced that Transgendered people having their own bathrooms should be a thing."

It's not clear to me that you understand the issue of transgender restrooms at all. It sounds like you're saying that people are calling for transgender people to have their own separate restrooms, but the issue is that some states want to pass laws to force transgender people to use the restroom that corresponds with the gender of their birth, and many people think that transgender people should be free to use the restroom of their preferred gender.

For example, according to the proposed laws, transgender boys and men like Benjamin Melzer would have to use the women's restroom and transgender girls and women like Jazz Jennings would have to use the men's restroom, whereas the people who oppose the law say that Melzer should be able to use the men's room and Jennings should be allowed to go into the women's room.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87

You not liking the term is irrelevant.  Transgendered (ohhh I said a naughty word) people are mentally disturbed and need professional help, not a special potty room.  Supporting anyone who clearly has zero path to change sexes is a waste of time.  Cutting off your man parts doesn't make you a woman, no more than taking the tires off your car makes it a spaceship.  It's a biological impossibility to change a person's DNA. Transgendered people are just stuck in a sad period of perpetual Cos-play - they are crying for attention as they are unhappy with themselves as human beings and think that changing identities will give them some sort of self satisfaction, but in fact it only makes it worse - normal people don't include them because they are mentally ill.  If you really cared about them, you'd get them help instead of encouraging their delusional behavior and possible physical mutilation.

"normal people don't include them because they are mentally ill"

I'm not sure which "normal" people we're discussing here, but I'm pretty normal, and I have no problems including trans people in my life. If I saw someone who needed help, I would reach out, but honestly, everybody I know is pretty normal and well-adjusted. Those who need the help of a therapist---cis or trans---generally have one.

Maybe I just see this issue differently. I went through a period where I had cancer, and my body was fighting against me in a horrific way. It felt alien, and I felt trapped in something that was not working for me. I wasn't mentally ill---I just had a problem that needed a bit of medical intervention. So, I'm sympathetic when someone says they feel as though they're trapped in the wrong body. I get that feeling. I understand wanting to fix it. It's not my place to tell someone they were born a man, so they're mentally ill of that doesn't fit with what their brain is telling them. It's also not hurting me if someone decides to transition to another gender. I'm not sure why it matters to anyone other than the person who is transitioning.

2. ProblematicFave profile image69

Gosh, who should I believe? A random guy on the internet who seems to take pleasure in being deliberately offensive and insulting, or a bunch of trained scientists and researchers? Wow, what a difficult choice!

Sorry, dude, there is plenty of evidence that sex-reassignment surgery helps reduce feelings of gender dysphoria, as well as many other psychological issues associated with being transgender.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 … x/abstract

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ … 030615.php

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24344788

http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 … 009-9551-1

http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 … 014-0453-5

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio … xual_Women

http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/25690443

Etc.

This said, I rather suspect that things like anxiety and depression have more to do with the fact that people like you feel free to call transgender people delusional mentally disturbed attention seekers than actually being transgender. tongue

You don't have to accept the scientific evidence that being transgender is a biological condition that can be helped with sex reassignment surgery, but there's no need to mock and insult them. They are people with feelings just like we are. Shame on you. It's a pity there's no such thing as personality-reassignment surgery. You could use a transplant of courtesy and empathy.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Well said

2. Ramkitten2000 profile image91
            Ramkitten2000posted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1111111111111

You said it!

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

Ah, now I get it.   I was very confused as to why this law was necessary at all:  it seems to me that if a person is presented/dressed as a woman then they would naturally use the female restroom, so what's the problem?

But if you're saying that in some states, a transgender person would be obliged to use the male toilets even though they identify as female, then I can see why Obama wanted to take action to prevent that happening. 

So thanks for making that clear.  Until your explanation, it just seemed to me that they were legislating for something that should be self-evident anyway.  But maybe that's because I'm an Aussie.

1. ProblematicFave profile image69

Yes, that's correct. The North Carolina law would force people to use the bathroom of their birth gender, regardless of how they identify and present currently.

2. Johnny James A profile image68
    Johnny James Aposted 8 years ago

I agree with the comments already stated.  Additionally, when you click on the "Source" links under the pictures of Chaz Bono and Caitlyn Jenner it says, "Chaz Bono Formally known as Chasity Sonn Bono" and "Source: Caitlyn Jenner formally known as "Bruce Jenner."  Hubpages might be concerned that you are not giving property credit to the source.  If you are going to use the "source" link then it suggests that the site you pulled the pictures from requires some mention.  Also, several of your bullet points under the picture of Caitlyn Jenner look like you may have directly cut and pasted the entire wording from another site. I say this because when you cut and paste from another site sometimes the html language will made a quotation mark look like &quot or &.

3. NBYomi profile image77
    NBYomiposted 8 years ago

Johnny James A and Promblematic Fav, I apologize as those weren't meant to be links for Chris Bono and Caitlyn Jenner. I was not paying attention to where I was posting those captions and that's how that faux pas came about.

Also the description for the cited sources? Lemme go fix that too.

Thank you all so much for your help. smile

I wonder why those photos are there are all, since none of them are speaking out about the issue. Just because they're trans celebrities doesn't mean they're relevant to the article. I'd look for some of the photos being done by everyday trans people about this issue. Some of them are pretty interesting.

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13052998_f248.jpg

Also, the whole "formerly known as" thing is called dead naming. For a very short time after a trans person transitions, it's OK, but these are all folks who have made their new names public long ago. Lana Wachowski is Lana, and referring to her former name is like me insisting all calling you by your maiden name long after you've taken your husband's. It's disrespectful. If you really need a way to point out that these are photos of trans people, "Writer, director, trans activist, and winner of the Human Rights Campaign Visibility Award, Lana Wachowski" would be a better way of doing it than dead naming her.

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

You could use this photo of transwoman Danielle Muscato.
    Coming to a women's locker room near you, ladies. Don't object or you're a hateful bigot.

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13053032.jpg

Obviously she hasn't transitioned, but what about people who have?

You could just as easily post a picture of trans man Benjamin Melzer. If this hateful law gets passed, he's coming to a women's locker room near you, ladies.

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13053156_f248.jpg

Or how about trans girl Corey Maison. If you were her parent, would you be comfortable sending her into the men's room? I think not.

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13053157_f248.jpg

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am fine with biological women and children who have not gone through puberty using women's facilities.

People like Muscato and Stefonknee Wolscht, -- who wears diapers and uses a pacifier, and claims to be a 6-year-old girl although he is a middle-aged man -- can use men's facilities.

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12773381.png

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that if someone who looked like Melzer walked into a women's restroom that you wouldn't be just as upset as you would if somebody like Muscato did.

How about an adult trans woman like Sarah McBride, Jamie Clayton, or Kira Conley in the men's room?

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13053224_f248.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13053225_f248.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13053227_f248.jpg

I'm not familiar with the case, but the six year old thing sounds like ageplay  (and/or ABDL - normal six year olds do not wear diapers or use pacifiers) to me - that is a separate thing from being transgender and it's practiced by  plenty of cisgender people (people who identify as their birth gender) too. I don't personally approve of acting out BDSM kinks like ageplay in public because it's involving the general public in sexual activity without their consent, but being transgender isn't a sexual kink, it's an identity. Studies have shown that the brains of people who identify as transgender have biological similarities with the brain of their target gender that cisgender people do not have..

Adult men should use men's facilities. Growing one's hair long and wearing makeup does not make a man a woman any more than wearing pants makes me a man. If they don't want to use men's facilities, they should lobby for their own bathrooms rather than invading women's facilities.

Despite his numerous obvious fetishes, Stefonknee Wolsch claims to be a "transwoman" and is a spokesperson for the transgender community in Canada. He has been featured in several films, speaking for the transgender cause. He was admitted as a resident to a women's shelter.

For every study claiming to prove "manbrain" and "womanbrain," there are more that refute these claims.

We've already done the whole "separate but equal" thing in this country, because white people weren't comfortable peeing next to non-whites, or drinking from the same drinking fountain. It was wrong then, and it's equally wrong now.

Speaking for myself, any woman can pee next to me, without worrying that I'm going to inspect her parts to insure she's in the right place. I don't care what she looks like. I'm sure we both just want to pee and get back to whatever we were doing.

If you don't feel that way, I suggest you're the one with the problem. The solution is to find a one-holer, so you can pee alone, and feel more comfortable. The solution is not to tell someone they can't pee next to you because you don't feel comfortable with them. It's not their problem.

(As an aside: because I live in a place with a very specific standard of female beauty to which I don't conform, I am often called "sir" in stores. Anyone who ever confronts me about using a ladies' room is going to get an eyeful of a very long, heinous hysterectomy scar that extends from above my navel to the top of my pubic bone, accompanied by a long, profanity-laced rant about uterine cancer in my very feminine voice. What someone looks like in no way informs you of who or what they are.)

Sex segregation is legal. This is a different situation than racial segregation, which is illegal. Males already have rights to use men's facilities. No one is denying males anything, other than access to female facilities.

If a male doesn't want to use men's facilities, then it is on him to find a one-holer. Males do not belong in women's facilities.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest if people do not conform to society's sex stereotypes. There are plenty that I do not conform to. However, one's sex remains constant no matter how they choose to dress, wear their hair, whether they like flower arranging or bull riding, no matter what medicine they take or what surgeries they have.

5. NBYomi profile image77
    NBYomiposted 8 years ago

The point of my hub is to advocate for transgendered rights to use the bathroom of their choice, and it appears I'mma have to be blunt with that stance,while also maintaining my stance that forcing your place in history is pretty darn stupid. Because people like Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Muhammad Ali, Bruce Lee, John Siegel, Joe Shuster, Dr. Seuss, and Amelia Earhart to name a few, didn't set out to make history. They became apart of it as the things they did were note worthy enough to be spoken of for generations.

And that's what I feel people don't get, as history isn't made by those who seek to be a part of it, but by those who live note worthy lives.

Plus, given what's been brought to my attention by SmartAndFun and Problematic Fave, I'm not sure I should finish editing the article, because they've made aware that individuals like The Wacholskis, Bono, and Jenner are a minority. Because there is insurance, which a job can cover, but people tend to be lazy... Which is my ultimate problem with this issue.

1. Johnny James A profile image68
      Johnny James Aposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If your goal is to (1) get your message out on this blogging site and (2) pass the quality assessment (if you have not already done so), then I would take the suggestions given to you on how to improve your article and go with it. I do not know the entire process of the quality assessment, however, I would assume grammar, punctuation, approved U.S. English spelling of words, etc would all come into play in the calculation. Also, just like in high school if you hand your paper to two different teachers to review they may give you two different opinions on how to format your article, move paragraphs around, etc. The great this about blogging is that you can get your ideas out there.  Worry about how other people react to your article later. 

How Quality Assessment Works
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Featured-Hubs

1. theraggededge profile image87
        theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Got to pick you up on this. HubPages is not a 'blogging site' and to suggest that it is gives the wrong impression. HubPages is for complete, stand-alone articles. Think of it as a magazine, rather than a blog.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)