Copyright Notices on Hubs - Why does it default to "no notice"

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

I've been going through and radically updating lots of old hubs lately.  I've found that several of them have been here for a long time with "no notice" on them. 

I know I'm still protected by copyright law even without that notice, but wouldn't it just make more sense for the default setting to be set to having the copyright notice turned on?

1. LillyGrillzit profile image79
      LillyGrillzitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

On my older hubs I put my own copyright notices within the body of the article. Those will default to no notice. In the last couple of years HP provides a copyright notice, unless there is already something resembling one written in. That is the best I can figure.

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think it makes more sense not to have a copyright notice appear, to prevent one from showing up on a Hub that contains material the writer can't copyright (like other people's images). You have to consciously set the copyright notice to appear, which means you're making the determination that everything in the Hub originated with you.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

@lisavollrath Had a great explanation.

It defaults to no copyright in order to give authors the chance to control what is on their Hub and also because we don't want people to take content without permission and then a copyright symbol to automatically and inaccurately show on content that they do not have rights for.

This way an author has to explicitly acknowledge they own the rights by adding the notice.

Update: Images was not the best choice of words. I changed to to content, as it usually applies to textual information.

1. ChristinS profile image39
        ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense - thanks

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Matthew Meyer. I do not understand it. What is defaulting to no copyright? And what is explicitly acknowledging?
        I never use this copyright notice on any of my works at other sites also. But, knowing is not bad, I hope.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

We are talking about the option to display a copyright notice on Hubs.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83

Is it necessary to have copyright for my content and display it on my pages after obtaining one? I hope it is an understood and obligatory rule that no one should copy content of another one. Then why have a copyright registration and show it publicly? Is it not enough that HubPages enforces copyright law?

1. chasmac profile image90
              chasmacposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, it's not necessary. That's why they've made it optional. Whether you display it or not doesn't affect your copyright in any way. The reason it defaults to 'no show' is so that people who use others' content  without permission won't automatically have a copyright symbol attached to it, supplied by HubPages. By choosing to show it, the author is confirming that they own the copyright. If they use someone else's content, illegally, they can't then make the excuse that "I never claimed copyright for this content - HubPages added that sign automatically".

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any copyright registration. That's why I was worrying on seeing these comments here. Now, I am relieved that it does not affect.

1. chasmac profile image90
                  chasmacposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No Problem. By the way, do you know where that option is? It's In Edit Mode under Display Options - the same place where you organise your Hubs into groups.

Thanks again for the information. But, I may not need to use it anyway.

3. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Please explain then why the only alternative option I have for 'no notice' is a notice which states a year - which happens to be before the hub was created on the one I've just been looking at.

I don't need to provide year in my copyright notice so:
        1) why is HubPages including one
        2) how do I edit this out?

I couldn't find any answers in the Help section which defaults to this thread!

so 3) why isn't there an official help article for this issue?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

The feature was designed with two options for Hubs.

1. Authors can include a copyright notice with their name and the year when the Hub was first published.
          2. Authors can choose to not use the supplied copyright notice (-no notice-)

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Given that there is no need to do it I would see it like any other module.  One I don't use on my hubs or any of my other online content.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

I vaguely recall HP suggesting to us several years ago that individual copyright notices were not needed, and not particularly advised.  The information above seems to contradict that.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Per the US copyright office a copyright notice is not necessary to assert/defend your copyright (it did use to be a requirement many years ago).  And in this context it may be seen as covering material on the page that is not copyright to the hubber.

4. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

So we are not to use the notice if all of the text is ours but we've used and credited images by others on the page? That would have been nice to know.

5. RonElFran profile image96
    RonElFranposted 8 years ago

WRT using the HP copyright notice on hubs containing properly attributed images to which the hub author does not hold the copyright:

Think of all the books you've seen (textbooks are a great example) that are chock full of images that the book author does not hold copyright to. The same with newspapers and magazines. Seems to me that in normal practice, no one expects that the copyright on a book or article is intended to automatically cover included material (including quotes, BTW) that the author indicates comes from another source.

I see no problem including the copyright notice on a hub that has images obtained elsewhere - IF the author has permission to use the image, and proper credit is given so that it is clear the hub author is not claiming ownership of the image.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was thinking, Ron.  I always attribute my images, whether mine or not.  Even if they are public domain, I so indicate.
      I do not see that as a deterrent from using the overall © notice on the hub, exactly because the images are otherwise credited within the article.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When they are that is the case, but many people do not credit either because it is not strictly required or they just do not bother. Image crediting also not being compulsory (although it is recommended).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)