Traffic up; traffic down?? Make up your mind!

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (31 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

One of my hubs has fallen into the dreaded half-filled circle, yet it sports a red arrow indicating increased traffic.

WTH??  Make up your minds, HP!  Is the traffic up or down???

1. paradigm search profile image53
      paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Our lives have ended as we know it.

DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL--indeed!  I confuse easily enough as it is...help not needed in that department!  wink

Less than a month to go before the summer traffic doldrums end. Be not afraid. big_smile

What's worse, is this is a hub that had earned an HOTD award!!!

Our hubs are but candles in the wind...

As are we, and I'm tired; the flame grows weak..

2. Bredavies profile image62
            Bredaviesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The summer doldrums indeed.
            All metrics show decrease in the summer. I mean who has time to be on the internet, unless that is your income!!!! :-/

It is the worst.

It is bad..it's not my income; it's barely pocket change.  But,  time to be on the Internet is about all I do have...retired, rather housebound because of hubby's disability...no $$ to go do things that are fun and exciting...so here I sit..day in and day out...

1. Bredavies profile image62
                Bredaviesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That would be very irritating..especially with the constant up down motion of traffic. The bright side is come November I am sure your hubs will be back on the up and up!

2. Venkatachari M profile image86
                Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You have to keep on going, Dzy. Do not lose hope. Hope is all that we have, nothing more. And one has to get going somehow.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
                Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure there are lots of other things you COULD do if you thought about it.  Writing on the internet can be a real "false friend" - you can do it, and it makes the time go by quickly, but like an addictive drug, it also takes hold of you and becomes a great excuse NOT to do other, more productive things.  Been there!

You could be making and selling crafts online,  you could be doing mystery shopping (there are companies where you can "mystery shop" online), you could sell your skills on Fiverr.com, you could be growing your own vegetables, keeping hens - there are probably other things I haven't thought of. 

I know some of those things require getting off your keister and actually doing things which can be slightly annoying - but it's a case of "no pain, no gain":  that little bit of extra effort has the potential of a much greater payback than writing can ever give you.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I AM afraid because summer is my best time.  After that it's tramp, tramp, tramp!

1. Venkatachari M profile image86
              Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do not see any reason for seasons affecting traffic. The only thing I know is timing of traffic. I see evening time as good for online activity till bed time and sometimes it may be the early hours of day. Seasonal traffic can be only for seasonal event hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Not really.   People are more likely to be outdoors enjoying the weather if it's good.

2. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The half circle indicates lack of engagement - not traffic. So if the readers aren't commenting or voting in the polls, clicking on links, etc. they are not "engaged" readers.

3. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I thought half moon logo hubs are not visible

1. bravewarrior profile image88
        bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Correct. They become un-featured when they sit for a while with no activity.

2. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

The traffic is up on your hub but traffic that doesn't come from search engines doesn't count in the HP algorithm. An edit ought to bring it out of unfeatured status.

Thanks, Kylyssa--
        I've been editing hubs like a madwoman for the last week.  I'm not sure what I could add to or change in that one that would make any difference....It's a pretty straight-forward 'how-to' hub that was even a HOTD.....  :: shrug ::

Besides, I've had edits bring hubs back from the 'unfeatured for lack of traffic' hole within an hour or so.  I doubt it gets searched and found that much, that fast.  So there is something internal with HP going on with that determination.

Edit update to this post:  Pfft! Those stats are fickle.  I "edited" it and got it back.  The only change I made was to add a link to one of my related articles, and it's back featured...within 2 hours!

When you edit a Hub, it goes back through QAP.  The QAP team decides whether it's Featured or unFeatured based purely on quality, not traffic.  Nothing to do with stats. Once it's Featured, it gets a small window of time to get some more traffic, and if it doesn't it will go straight back to being unFeatured for lack of traffic.

If it was already HOTD, then how would that perceived "quality" change, prior to any edit??!!  And how would an edit that only added a link to a related hub of my own, get it over that hurdle? 

And if the basis is "purely on quality, not traffic,"  then why would the window depend on traffic?   If, as bravewarrior says, 'unfeatured' means 'lack of engagement' (which is not what it says when you hover over that half-filled circle), then that has nothing to do with traffic, either.  It makes no good sense to me.

It doesn't matter how high quality a Hub is, if it's not getting traffic it will get unFeatured for lack of engagement.  "Lack of engagement" is simply HubPages' jargon for "insufficient search engine traffic" - it means something else outside HP but don't let that confuse you.

If you then edit it, even the tiniest amount, that will send it back to the QAP team and, importantly,  remove the penalty for lack of engagement.  They will assess it purely for quality - and obviously, since we know it was a HOTD, it's going to pass. So it will become Featured again. 

But, of course, if you've made no significant changes then the Hub isn't likely to start attracting more traffic, so it will fail to meet the threshold required and will become unFeatured for lack of engagement again.

Gah!  Some articles cannot be updated or edited significantly, as there is nothing further to say, and the information does not change.
              This particular article is a 'how to' for shampooing carpets.  There is nothing to change or update, so I find that a rather tough situation...impossible to overcome the penalty.  sad

I think you're still missing the point. 

To force the Hub back through QAP and remove the penalty, you need to change only a sentence or two.  HOWEVER -

If a Hub is unFeatured for lack of engagement, it wasn't getting visitors, which means it wasn't earning any money to speak of, even when it was Featured.  Sure, you can force it back into Featured - but it will still get no visitors and not earn any money, so what's the point? 

If you can't see a way to improve the Hub so it will get more visitors and therefore earnings, then it makes no sense to invest time and effort into it - even the effort required to change a sentence! Some Hubs will simply never get traffic no matter what you do.

Okay--I understand that much.  But, does traffic figure into HOTD status?  Or is that some other obscure (and trade-secret) algorithm?

I may be wrong, but I understood that HOTD was chosen manually by a member of HP staff.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

My dear, patient and helpful friends.  I am so appreciative of all your explanations and assistance, and I hate to belabor a point, but I am still so confused.

My newly published hub is consistently showing a red 'up' traffic arrow; and has climbed closer to the top of my hubs listing.. (only 5 down from top slot), and yet, the actual hub score has dropped over the last day by 2 points.

Moving Up?  Lower score??

I remain, confusedly yours...Dizzy indeed!

1. Fiction Teller profile image61
      Fiction Tellerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Probably someone who tracks their Hub scores knows better - I only look at mine casually. But in the past, HubPages has said they had a random element factored in to their scoring system to prevent its being gamed. They appear to make constant changes to their scoring system for both Hubbers and Hubs. The effect of improving hubs is not a simple straight linear one. Their algorithm has to be based on statistics, and statistics are wonky, up-and-down things.

In other words, trying to take meaning from any "micro" point on your statistical graph will likely serve only to drive you bonkers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)