EPA Contaminates several Rivers heading to the Grand Canyon

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 8 years ago

Watching the 6 pm ABC News this evening, I couldn't believe how the media just slipped in the information about the EPA breaking a pipe, and this arsenic contaminated water is going 100 miles from the source.

I am concerned how the media is down playing the fact that the EPA has just damaged a drain pipe in South Western Colorado and it has traveled 100 miles this past three days! EPA's fault, and didn't notify anyone and just now the media is telling us, but they slip it in and avoid the seriousness!

This could be great concern for farmers and people who shower and drink the water sad

And where is President Obama making an announcement? This could be even more serious because of the drought and wild fire conditions in Arizona, California and Utah. We have Hubber Friends who live in these areas. 

Any suggestions?  Need to get the word out, I believe.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How much leakage was there?  A cup?  50,000 gallons of highly concentrated solution?  A cup of arsenic tainted water in the Colorado won't be detectable in 10 feet, but will still cause a panic.

Jo_Goldsmith11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

It has polluted the river completely. Turning the water an orange looking.
        There are other chemicals besides arsenic, and it doesn't look good.

The link to the story you can find here.>> m.deseretnews.com/article/765678998/Plume-from-EPA-mine

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

OK.  According to your link there was no pipe, there was an accidental breach in a debris dam and containment ponds are about finished. 

No one knows the contents of the liquid, but are doing tests.  No one knows the seriousness, but no harmful levels have yet been detected from samples taken.  So what "seriousness" are they avoiding? 

Two towns have shut down water treatment access to the river; Obviously it was not "hushed up", but notification made.  Not by Obama, agreed, but to the people that needed to know. 

Not sure what you think should have been done.  Should Obama fly to California and announce everyone is going to die?  You don't seem to think they should keep quiet (and they didn't), so what DO you want?

I think a lot about how the country depends on California for it's food.
            Yes, we have ships that bring some of the food. ( imports).
            The farmers in California have stated to the media, that they had to plant less this year. They are in the 4th year of drought. And "last year, this farmer who was interviewed stated now, next year he will have to minimize it more. "This is money out of my family's table".

And with the bottled water? Why do we need bottled water for everyday?
            Do you ever see the commercials about all the plastic bottles that can go completely around the earth many times?

All I am trying to say, is where does this end? Let's see where all the issues that need immediate attention land in the card game we play with Washington and these politicians.

What do I want?

I want an earth that will be here for my grandkids. And a earth that isn't on the brink of war. The people on the earth to go about living their lives and respecting everything that is given to us.

I want one honest person with good moral character to be President and each member of Congress and the Senate to hold the same moral character with a sprinkle of wisdom and humility to get the things done that need to get done already!

Life should be about fulfilling your dreams. Any dreams. And when you are living in poverty, struggling day in and day out. Worried about the Parents and how to work and take care of them.

I want real honest to God leaders who have an answer or at least can sit in the same room together and discuss all options, brainstorm and use their upbringing on how they were raised as the ideas brought to the table.

If you wish to judge me?  Please judge me that I am a "ideologist".

Best Wishes :-)

2. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I saw a photo of the orange river on my Facebook feed and immediately thought it was photo-shopped. (didn't read anything but the title) ... because... It seems to me that there are people who are trying to ignite hysteria.  And, this smells like one more of THEM.

Wow!

@ wilderness & colorfulone

I am so taken a back by your responses. I thought it was important to get this issue made aware of, because some of us who are on here have friends in these areas.  And if one isn't getting on the computer much, or they are shut ins. If you have a way to contact them and let them know what is flowing down in the river for  100 miles and more.

I am not "hysterical", and you need to realize it is offensive to me.
      As for all that is going out in the West. With the wild fires, the drought.
      And for some who grow food for a living. The crops must be suffering.
      I know our pocket book feels a little lighter more often now, when I leave the grocery store! 

Here, in Ky. Chicken Breast is $13.00 for a pound! I am not kidding! sad

If there is this "bird flu", that so many chickens needed to be killed, and the chicken supply had dropped as a result. They send prices higher. And a dozen of medium eggs is $2.00, yet a small is $1.50? 

Well, anyway. This is all I was trying to get at.
      That we all need to look out for each other. 

Have a blessed week to you both! :-)

3. colorfulone profile image77

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12578842.jpg

Erin Brockovich -  "Well it's official, we were lied to! Did we expect anything less?

Some 3 million gallons of toxic wastewater, triple previous estimates, have poured from a defunct Colorado gold mine into local streams since a team of Environmental Protection Agency contractors accidentally triggered the spill last week, EPA officials just released."

No one has been fired or no one demoted, no fines, not even an apology?
    DEMOCRATS IN ACTION?

I didn't mean to seem insensitive Jo and I do apologize to you.

It's okay. Thank you for the apology though. :-)
      I know, this is what I saw on the news! A picture like that one you left.
      I was like "oh, wow".  And began thinking about those who are friends that we may stay in touch with. And see if they know to be careful with the water they drink. I would think that there has to be some way to stop the flow of water from running so many miles down and ultimately ending up in Lake Powell or the Colorado River.

It's not just the democrats. It's the republicans too. I said to my husband
      "President Obama needs to interrupt his "vacation" and make some kind of press announcement and go look at the site where this problem first began.

So much for the EPA! sad  I think they are in the pockets of some democrats.
      I am not aligned or affiliated with any party, anymore! Both sides have their faults. It 's the actual person behind the status I am more worried about, you know?  Have a Happy Monday. :-)

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

It was an accident, which they were not rapid and clear about communicating.  And the blame should be shared with whoever was responsible for the mine that was abandoned so the contaminated water was separated from the river nothing more than a dirt mound.

Yes, the EPA need to be reprimanded but many of the news stories are acting like they created the pollution or deliberately released it.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

Of course no one wants to reveal or focus on this little oopsy! its business per usual, don't you think?
    Its so easy to keep the veil up, to shield the truth.
    I guess.
    PS I suppose you think Obama could perform a real miracle and clear up the water with the wave of his hand. lol

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A one day delay in communication is certainly bad, but the mining industry is 88 years in cleaning up their mess.

Damned if I know what your rant about Obama has to do with anything.  Bureaucracies tend to be basically the same under any regime.

1. Max Havlick profile image66
        Max Havlickposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jo Goldsmith's seemingly innocuous and sincere concern to "blow the whistle" here on a huge potential crisis in the health of large numbers of other people than herself deserves our respect and would seem to warrant no disagreement. 

Fortunately, however, we are blessed to lived in a country where strong comment on any issue of importance normally generates a wide variety of responses, a healthy sign, and understandable in view of the wide variety of our people's interests and backgrounds, and this diversity we also respect. 

As in this case, the HubPages community excels in providing a forum for a large-souled person like Jo to express such a concern and to stimulate such a discussion.

6. colorfulone profile image77

Russell Begaye, the president of the Navajo Nation is going to sue the EPA to the full extent of the law.

I am sure there be more law suits.

7. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

I hate to tell you guys this but if mining companies are allowed to exploit the earth  to the last ounce  of gold , copper , zinc , whatever  ! AND then file bankruptcy  for protection ..........It is then the EPA that ends up footing the bill !  That by the way  is on  your  dime  . Don't blame the EPA    , blame congress  , blame the defunct mining companies !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)