September Hub Traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (75 posts)
  1. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

The expectation and plan is for this to be a happy, fun thread. We shall see...

Last year my seasonal traffic increase began the very first week of September, but Labor Day was September 1st. This year the starting line is September 7th.

For those of us with non-summer-specific hubs, the weekly traffic increases should continue through the end of November. Those of us without product-specific hubs will see a drop in December. Then the real party begins in January.

For me, that's been the usual pattern. If this pattern doesn't occur again this year, then the party is indeed truly over. Drum roll...

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Last September was when my hub views went down to 1/ 3 of what they were previously. I hope this September is better rather than worse.

paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What with everyone being into work and school, hobby hubs might indeed suffer a temporary lull. I'm just guessing here.

2. SmartRunner profile image68
      SmartRunnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Greetings to all....!!
      I wish to join this forum because I wrote my first hub three days back and needs to know about traffics.... guide me....

2. paradigm search profile image54

It looks like Google is messing around again, http://mozcast.com/

And since when has traffic started being lower on Mondays than Sundays? https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=US

1. NateB11 profile image90
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

That MozCast is handy. First time I've ever seen it.

Writer Fox introduced me to it.

3. paradigm search profile image54

Wednesday... Wednesday... I see that leastwise HP already has the four 60:40 AdSense ads in place for the accounts doing straight AdSense. Hope I reach payout before the competing 0:100 noshare ads show up. Gonna be iffy what with the pre Labor Day traffic still being terrible. Once I do make it, back to the HP Ad program I go.

4. NateB11 profile image90
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

Maybe I have something to look forward to, then. Traffic has dropped a bit last month, more or less. If I remember correctly, the Fall can be good; unless a Google update slaps us.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I must be sleepy. I read your comment on the Fall can be good; unless a Google update slaps us and I thought you went crazy lol. Didn't realize you used Fall as a noun and in caps big_smile

Lol. Honest mistake.

I can't wait for this final pre Labor Day week to be gone. I need to make some serious bucks the rest of this year.

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 8 years ago

Good luck reaching payout in time. When is the new ad scheme going to be rolling out btw? I'm on the HP Ad Program right now, I reached the Adsense threshold last month or so.

Thanks. Looking really grim so far; this is probably the last time I'll use my HP accounts to get past the AdSense finish line.

The noshare ads are supposed to burst upon the scene come September 8th.

6. paradigm search profile image54

I'm hoping the traffic in the next few months will inspire me to start writing hubs again.

Don't you have a website of your own? I do write hubs on another account. But, that's mostly to test the waters for sub niches.

Yes, but HP Ads does so much better than AdSense.

So true there. Adsense is a disappointment relatively speaking.

7. paradigm search profile image54

Odd. Last week at the same traffic level, HP was ranked 94. This week at the same level, HP is ranked 111. I looked at the top 200 list, but didn't really notice anything.

https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=US

I wonder what 17 sites suddenly surged ahead and how much the impending Labor Day Weekend had to do with it?

As an example, I didn't notice a bunch of travel-related websites suddenly appearing; now that would have been logical if they had. Truly curious.

I was wondering about the rank. I was also wondering if HP's rank has fluctuated in the past and how much. In other words, I wonder if it's relatively normal or not.

I wonder if I should wander. But then I wonder wander where? Meanwhile, I've forgotten whether HP was in the 40's or 60's way back when in the glory days. The only thing normal about the internet is that nothing is normal.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
          Jayne Lancerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I seem to remember HubPages being at 46 just prior to Panda 4.1. I doubt it will recover any time soon (if ever) and am getting ready to move all my hubs to another website.

I'm going to see how sep-oct-nov goes before removing certain hubs.

8. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Inteersting!

Here's the top 100 sites  https://www.quantcast.com/top-sites

9. makingamark profile image70

Well that's very interesting - where did all the mega newspapers go?  (Same thing happening on the UK sites)

I think maybe some people have stopped sharing......

10. paradigm search profile image54

Well..., while "everybody" else will be spending the next three Labor Day Weekend days having fun, I'll be doing a whole bunch of involuntary business-of-living stuff. Sucks.

Ok, violin back in closet.

As for this week's traffic... Lousy, but better than last year's.

I really have no idea what to expect for the next three months' traffic. Some days I feel it will be the best of times. Some days I feel it will be the worst of times. Time will tell.

11. paradigm search profile image54

Well, cr@p. I just figured out why every hub of mine is so sluggish. HP is already displaying the noshare ads 4 days sooner than they said they would. No wonder my AdSense RPM is suddenly in the commode. I gave up and switched back to HP Ads. I'm going to have to depend on my WWNN site to get me home as far as making AdSense threshold.

Oh...

Hark! The noshare ads seem to have disappeared. So I'm back to taking another shot at the AdSense finish line.

Update: And the noshare ads are back. Oh, well. Out of desperation, I'll go ahead and leave AdSense-Only on for awhile. What a town.

12. ilikegames profile image62
    ilikegamesposted 8 years ago

September is usually quite quiet for me but hopefully everyone else gets some nice seasonal traffic coming there way.

You picked a good niche. I've seen others do very well with gaming. Interesting to know that topic has a lull in September.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Students back to school, maybe? Anyway, it's been slower for me, too, especially earnings. But Friday was surprisingly good. It may have been that I tweeted my book lovers article with hashtags about today's National Book Festival in DC. It was awesome, by the way.

I wonder what adventures await us today...

13. sparkster profile image84
    sparksterposted 8 years ago

September is usually the worst time of the year for me for traffic to hubs. So far this month, my hub traffic seems to have dropped by 50% compared to last month (and the several months before that). It seems to be staying around that mark. Same thing last year and the year before.

Yep, definitely gonna be pathetic for all (99%?) of us this weekend, https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=US As for the rest of September, I'm finding it interesting there are more differences amongst Hubbers than I originally thought.

14. paradigm search profile image54

Well, had a dynamite day out in the real world and got all sorts of business-of-living stuff done. Got home and gazed at my AdSense account, woeful it was; I can't wait for next week, critter better come through.

15. paradigm search profile image54

Well, hark! Our traffic actually went up yesterday. I hadn't expected that; was thinking we would be doomed through Monday. big_smile

16. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I was actually surprised my traffic was fairly steady and actually better than a few days ago. Of course my traffic is also pretty low overall compared to the 1000s of daily views some get.

17. Mark Ewbie profile image79
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

I don't care if it goes up, down or stays the same.  It is only a few cents.  Not worth checking.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!

One click on my website is often worth a week or more of HP earnings, and I get at least one click a day. Ironically the material on that site is mainly the contents of a couple of hubs that HP killed due to "lack of engagement".

1. Mark Ewbie profile image79
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's good going with just a couple of pages!

1. WriteAngled profile image73
          WriteAngledposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In the overall scheme of things, it is still pennies, which is why I'm not dedicating time or effort to expand the site. I must admit I was surprised though to see both views and earnings improved many times over when the content went from here onto an independent site.

Think of it as a sport. big_smile

Meanwhile, HP traffic goes up significantly for a second day in a row. But the ranking gets another 6 points worse. Odd times indeed. My high hopes for sep-oct-nov continue.

18. makingamark profile image70

You can't look at it on a day to day basis - there are always ups and downs. You need to look at at least 8 weeks data and preferably more to see the ACTUAL trend

This is true. But Labor Day Weekend is supposed to be a major demarcation point, so I'm breaking out the popcorn.

19. paradigm search profile image54

Uh, well, like, super hark? https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=US

A very auspicious beginning. Needless to say, tue-wed-thu will tell the tale...

20. paradigm search profile image54

And another hub of mine bites the dust, i.e., unpublished and soon to be deleted; a tech hub that had become obsolete. And this concludes its memorial service.

Meanwhile, a good traffic day, but not another dramatic increase, leastwise for me.

21. paradigm search profile image54

https://i.imgflip.com/qsn0b.jpg
    big_smile

22. Chriswillman90 profile image91

Looks like a very temporary increase but we'll see what happens now that we're beyond Labor Day weekend.

23. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 8 years ago

My traffic is pretty much the same. Didn't expect it to take off anyway, since they aren't seasonal topics. The only seasonal bunch is out of season right now big_smile

24. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

I was doing pretty well up until this morning, my traffic is tanked this morning - I hope it's just a fluke.  The ones that are doing well are one fairly seasonal one and the handful that get pinned all the time, otherwise things are pretty flat, but like others I am in the process of finding new homes for several of my hubs that are under performing here.

25. paradigm search profile image54

I must say, my traffic has become extremely disappointing.

Traffic is bad and CPM the worst ever. Not gonna make payout this month.

26. Chriswillman90 profile image91

Looks like the rank went up quite a bit if that means anything, but yes the CPM and overall traffic isn't the greatest right now.

27. Ibiza Style profile image67
    Ibiza Styleposted 8 years ago

are people checking the rankings of their hubs that drive this (now missing) traffic?

there seems to be this general consensus here that the Lord Google just giveth, and taketh away,and all we can do is wait to be smited.

but there will be observable reasons, its just a machine, and while it is true that we cant know exactly < i > how < /i > it works, we most definitely < i > can  < /i > observe its conclusions.

if your hub is not there any more, or has been replaced with a different hubpages candidate, then its not some animal algorithm magic, its a basic, solveable issue

28. paradigm search profile image54

In my humble opinion, all internet traffic has been weird this week. HP traffic drops 3 days in a row, but HP's ranking improves by 17 points during the same timeframe.

And then there's the whole weekdays versus weekend thing. Usual pattern for HP used to be weekends low and weekdays high. Now it's been the reverse for several weeks I believe.

My popcorn stash is running low...

1. Good Guy profile image84
      Good Guyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Every thing is low low low for me.  My affinity with HP is also reaching the lowest level!  LOL!!!

My Friday-Saturday traffic also currently sucks. Rant concluded.

I'm still maintaining some hope for the rest of the month.

29. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 8 years ago

Highly disappointed to see traffic declining at alarming rate.

30. Chriswillman90 profile image91

Worst traffic yet thus far. The numbers keep sliding this month.

31. paradigm search profile image54

Well, sports fans... This Labor Day week was a teeny, tiny tad lower than the week before Labor Day. I do believe this is the first year that has ever happened to me. If this coming week isn't higher, then I will have to start considering the possibility storm clouds are gathering...

32. paradigm search profile image54

https://i.imgflip.com/r11hn.jpg

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Or give him as much leeway as possible. :-D

2. lobobrandon profile image88

This works too. You'll get on the news. Too bad you won't be around to enjoy seeing those stats go up.

33. DasEngel profile image62
    DasEngelposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12642566.jpg

34. crb-tech-reviews profile image58
    crb-tech-reviewsposted 8 years ago

I am new on Hubpage. I don't how to earn money from Hubpage. Here is my hubs http://crb-tech-reviews.hubpages.com

1. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you want your hub reviewed you need to start a unique thread

If you want to know how to earn money from HubPages you need to start reading the help pages.

35. paradigm search profile image54

Is something afoot? Stay tuned... http://mozcast.com/

Meanwhile, my daily traffic total finally reached a certain round number I'd been hoping for. Hope springs eternal and I submit that we are all not doomed just yet. big_smile

Things are looking better for me too. Nothing like the way things were before last year's September "slap", but better than it's been.

Alas, that round number lasted all of one day. Then back to sadness.

36. paradigm search profile image54

Where is my usual seasonal increase in traffic? It's just flat-out not there!

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Traffic doldrums are usually the result of bad karma of some sort. lol

But I open doors for ladies and everything!

37. Chriswillman90 profile image91

I've been very disappointed thus far. I made progress last month but traffic is almost nonexistent for me. I never expected big numbers but I thought things would gradually improve over 8 months instead of the opposite. Oh well.

1. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I guess it depends on:
      1) whether you've written anything people want to read or are searching for answers on
      3) whether you promote your hubs outside HubPages.

Don't expect decent traffic unless you can answer "Yes" to both the above.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)