Not enough letters allowed in questions!

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years ago

I am constantly being cut off in mid sentence in answers. 250 is really not enough especially since you are the one asking the question and need to respond to ones that come in in enough language to understand each other and I really and truly wish everyone would urge HubPages to increase this! It is so frustrating! Don't you think?
    Ones that come in have plenty of room but not the ones posting the question (other than in asking the question) and in ones of great interest it is so aggravating to not even actually be able to finish a thought in response to someones comment!

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Jackie. It would be nice to have more space to reply to comments. Thanks for bringing this up.

Maybe you can start this thread in the tech section under suggested features so staff will see it and respond quicker.

Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If I had a brain Phyllis I would have done that! Will give it a try if no one has beat me to it! Thanks.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
          Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL - Jackie, you have a very good brain and always bring up good ideas.

I took a look around there and didn't see suggested features. I saw plenty but if you are sure it is there I will go back or are you suggesting I use that title? I would love to get this through. If you know where to go and want to do it be my guest! I will find you and protest too!

2. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A big Amen on that one, Jackie!  I have always been frustrated as I can't respond appropriately to an answer and then have to wait and see if they comment back to finish my response.  It is ridiculous to say the least.  I do hope HP takes note.  The only thing I can think of as to why they may limit it is because they would prefer us to start a forum for discussion in lieu of asking questions, possibly?

I know! I have so many questions where I respond and I rarely even get the 250 letters! I just did to one about Adam and Eve living to be almost 1000 and all I got in was 10! I made sure I had plenty of room but it always cuts me short. When I look at it it is in but when I come back it is not!
        From what I read about forums and questions I think I would rather always use questions unless it has something to do with HubPages and I believe that is how they see it too, could be wrong but I also like being able to delete remarks and bad words (which HP suggests we do when you get wise crackers) and maybe we would want to delete the question altogether and you can do none of that in forums.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This.

The purpose of the Q&A section is to inspire new Hubs.  It is not intended as a discussion forum.

Still no reason not to be able to finish a thought. ones coming in have plenty of room just not the question asker in response. What's the difference? I am just asking for equal room to respond. I am sure the questions have become more of a popular place for ideas than perhaps HP wants (I read their preferences) which I think is a good thing but I just am asking for many hubbers to fix this major problem and not have our thoughts cut off mid sentence! Please!

2. mattforte profile image89
          mattforteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

x2

I would not support a change for exactly this reason.

Even with the limit, the questions section of the site is FLOODED with complete trash that should be posted in the forums rather than on questions. (The questions site is supposed to be for legitimate, informational questions..."Is it safe to feed my dog raw meat?" would be an example....not "How can the US refuse to take in people fleeing the very enemies we're fighting?" followed by a paragraph explaining the scenario and asking people for their opinions. (That would be a forum post)

I rarely visit the questions section, but when I do....I end up reporting almost every question I run across.
          If you can't get your question written concisely enough to fit, then you should probably be in the forums anyway.

3. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

To begin with HP does not want back and forth conversations in Q&A.That's what the forums are for. Q&A is supposed to encourage the writing of hubs to answer the question.

Regardless of that opinion there is a place to reply and there are not enough letters.

2. Venkatachari M profile image84
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

Jackie, I also support this suggestion of yours to increase the space for comments on questions. I often experience difficulty in cutting short my replies to questions and comments. It is very embarrassing to leave the answer without completing. Sometimes, it does not communicate what I wanted to tell the reader.
    I hope HubPages will be viewing this thread and do us some favour.

Thank you Venkatachari! It really is quite embarrassing at times and the point too is they don't really even give us the 250 that it says because I will watch that carefully and it looks good when I leave but when I come back it is cut off! Like yesterday in a question response it looks as if I am saying Adam and Eve lived almost 10 years when I made sure it was a clear 1000 with space subtracted to make sure it all got in!
      It really does need fixed at least!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)