Hubpages Image/Reputation

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. mattforte profile image89
    mattforteposted 8 years ago

Does anybody not find it absolutely ridiculous that anybody that types in hubpages.com is brought to a minimalist homepage, with the words:
    "I agree with Ben Carson, no Muslims as president."

Everybody has a right to their opinion - I'll argue that to the death, no matter how stupid the person or their opinion is. But that's just spewing hate on the FRONT PAGE of your website, and nobody seems to care.

Is the HubPages community OK with first time visitors getting a message of hatred as their first impression? Is the staff OK with this?

I'm certainly not. The forums here are already spewing with toxic hate from certain groups that I will not name - which for the most part turned me off of this community years ago....but to have it shoved in your face when you first visit the site is just bad form.

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Maybe there should be an automatic filter in place to weed out all hate related writing.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I doubt it was the intention of the team to turn people off.  I'm guessing that they really need to tweek their algorithms to do as sallybea said and also remove the Q&A posts from that section.  I often have seen some of those that are really distasteful to me and certainly would not help the reputation we are trying to build here

3. EricDockett profile image96
      EricDockettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

First-time visitors would not see it. It is a forum discussion and only signed-in users will see it when they go to that page.

But I get your point.  The topics forums are a mess and have always been. Personally, I'd like to see the topics forums and Q&A gone. They are indexed (at least initially) and make up part of the overall quality reputation for this site. 

But I assume they must  get a certain amount of traffic so HP is unwilling to kill them off.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Eric, are you absolutely sure only signed-in users can see it?   The forums are public, you don't have to be signed in to read them.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
          SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've just had a look at hubpages.com using an incognito window, and you see all the hubs but not the discussions.  So they'll miss out on "no muslims for president" but they will see the Military Diet, et al.

2. EricDockett profile image96
          EricDockettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's what it looks like to me. I get a different list when I'm signed in vs signed out. Try it for yourself.

But that doesn't mean visitors can't see forum posts or Q&A if they hunt around the site, or even find them via search. It just means they won't see them on the front page.

3. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

He didn't say the forums were inaccessible to logged out people, he said the front page is different for logged in vs logged out viewers. Specifically, forums and Q&A are shown on the front page only to logged in users. Visitors who don't have an account or who are logged out just see hubs on the front page. That difference has been in effect for a very long time, I believe since the front page was redesigned in the first place.

4. profile image0
      Farawaytreeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree. No matter who can see it, it appears as if this is some sort of gossip site for viral threads and trends, not actual useful information, which is what we are told we need to produce on the site (at least to be featured).

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

I am also concerned, not so much about specific forum posts but about the mere fact that Q&A posts are appearing on the front page at all.   

After all HubPages' efforts to ensure only quality Hubs are shown to the public, they go and display Q&A which haven't gone through any kind of quality filter at all.  Where's the logic in that?

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No logic at all, plus the related hubs which are sometimes 7 or more years old.

3. Ilonagarden profile image91
    Ilonagardenposted 8 years ago

If I were to give one major criticism to the site it would be the front page. It is boring, AND ridiculous. I think it gives an overall poor impression of what might be found here.

Really not sure just what type of reader it appeals to, but I find the navigation annoying, and if I weren't writing here I wouldn't investigate based on that front door to the rest of the site. The pages themselves have more meat to them with the related posts and their thumbnails.

I think a magazine style that is mobile oriented would work much better.

4. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

For the record - I read this thread initially while not signed in.

I think the Front Page of HubPages is absolutely appalling. It irritates me every time I see it.

The purpose of a front page is to get people to click further not run screaming in the other direction. (I'm referring to some of the front pages I've seen on occasion - they vary - and some are completely obnoxious)

I'd make an overhaul of that page a top priority - with a complete veto on all types of titles and images which feel might find distasteful or offensive.

1. mattforte profile image89
      mattforteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Off topic, but I do agree.
      I get the attempt at being minimalistic, but it looks like one of those shitty parked domains.

5. blargablarga profile image68
    blargablargaposted 8 years ago

0h god I'm glad that's showing up for everybody.  I totally thought HubPages had some kind of algorithm that marked me as a horrible person!  I don't blog about hate!  My hubs are about knitting and videogames.  So yeah, it /really/ bothered me.  I felt like I was being straight-up insulted to my face.  But that's because I thought it was targeted marketing and not the same for everyone.

6. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

I never go to the homepage so have never seen it, but it doesn't seem like a wise thing to have there. I will have to check it out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)