Quantcast embedded code messed up somehow?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (45 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12844502_f1024.jpg
    https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com? … rafficCard

Whatever happened apparently started sometime on Wednesday, the 20th.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Trump.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 8 years agoin reply to this

My apologies, PS, I don't know your politics, but now you know mine!  Take care, ole pal.

paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I likewise suspected that dude from the start. lol

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

Quantcast reporting "zero" traffic two days in a row now.
    http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12845841.png
    https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com? … rafficCard

Wondering...

A. Is there a problem with the Quantcast tracking code within HubPages?

Or

B. HP page code is fine and it's Quantcast that's messing up on their end?

Or

C. HP has stopped paying Quantcast to be quantified and Quantcast just hasn't gotten around to updating that fact yet?

Meanwhile, Google Analytics working fine; thus no ensuing traffic-related riots around here. big_smile

1. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My blog is quantified on Quantcast and I don't pay them a penny.

Any payment relates to extra analytics that are available.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61

Well, "zero" traffic has been reported for 3 days in a row now. And now it's starting to affect ranking, down to 135 it is.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Somebody needs to be poked with a stick, but I have no idea who.

What the heck is going on?

4. paradigmsearch profile image61

I decided to be a pest, it's what I do. big_smile

I fired off a feedback note to Q, i.e., "What happened to the last three days of traffic for HubPages.com?"

Why on earth would Q tell you?

If you want an answer, wouldn't you be better advised sending a "glitch" note to HQ?

Alternatively consider the fact that most stats systems have problems from time to time - and they get fixed when the owners or interested parties are notified of them.

5. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

I pick C.

I am giving more weight to that scenario as well.

6. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

Interesting question. I have no answers.

7. paradigmsearch profile image61

This adventure has gotten me to exploring the Q Guides, FAQ's, TOS, and so forth. They repeatedly say it's free. I'm thinking of quantifying my website. It would crack me up to sit back and admire my US ranking of 417,265,879.

Anyone know of any reasons to not get tangled up with Quantcast?

You're wasting your time unless you get decent traffic - they won't quantify you.

"We" had already discovered and noted this earlier in the thread, thus my indicated migration away from scenario "C"

What with Q not asking for my email address, I didn't expect a reply. The content of the question itself was a notification to Q that something was amiss with HubPages' traffic tracking. Thus, Quantcast has indeed been sent a glitch note.

HubPages HQ has also been sent a glitch note, since that is the specified purpose of this forum thread category.

Alas...

-----

Meanwhile, Day 5 of no data and none of the principals are talking...

8. paradigmsearch profile image61

My hub traffic has been pretty stable lately, reasonable to think most other Hubbers are probably the same. Too bad it's not showing on Quantcast, it'd probably look pretty good. Oh, well.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My traffics has been up lately. Maybe Q is on its way out and not HP.  Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants.

Well, sports fans. Day Four of no data. I'm starting to gravitate back to scenario "A" and that HP just doesn't care.

9. paradigmsearch profile image61

Tuesday evening here...

It occurred to me to do a custom Q chart from January 22nd forward. The results were surprising.

It is now my belief HubPages is systematically removing all Quantcast tracking tags from their website.

Why they are doing that? I have no idea. Maybe the tags were negatively affecting load times? Maybe Quantcast has given advance notice of an impending TOS change?

Oh, well. Certainly been interesting.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You remember when HubPages used to have a page listing the best performing Hubbers and how much they were earning? 

Remember when Hubbers were free to share how much they earned on the forums?

Over time, HubPages has quietly shut down all discussion of how much people are making.   Now they are quietly shutting down any evidence of how much traffic we are actually getting.

Yep, this occurred to me as well. But then I wondered why didn't HP just flick on the hide-data switch instead?

I had another thought after I went to bed last night. Europe continues to be throwing privacy-issue hissy fits all over the place. And not just your average hissy fits, we are talking multiple lawsuit-level hissy fits. Haven't heard of any outright website banishment/blocking yet.

Having Quantcast tracking code on one's website may not be that good of an idea these days. Maybe HubPages didn't want to end up as collateral damage as things escalate further.

Or maybe it's just the issue of being too much of a pain in the neck and too off-putting to the visitor to comply with the additional reader privacy notifications required when Quantcast tracking tags are being used.

I pointed out to Weebly that they were not compliant with the EU regulations on data privacy (hardly something to term as warranting a "hissy fit"!) as they too have Quantcast codes on their sites

They pooh-poohed my suggestion that they introduced some code - as required by the LAW that warned people about tracking codes.

A few months later the warning about cookies appeared up top when sites were visited.

I think they saw the light.

If HubPages aare concerned about getting caught out by EU law then it should introduce the code - in exactly the same way as all major sites have done.

I'm guessing anybody living outside the EU does not see the cookies warning banner. However I do and I know precisely which sites have and have not paid attention to the law of the countries where they want to publish their websites.

Major sites were slow but they're all catching up now.

10. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

This is another post which has correctly been posted in the official help forum where it would be nice to get an answer from HubPages staff.  The problems are concerning enough, but the lack of response adds to the worries.

11. paradigmsearch profile image61

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5Buhp_Sdy1Y/VqokEUez24I/AAAAAAAAAbk/-FgF1zEK1-M/s1600/cat.jpg

12. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

It's comprehensively flat-lining isn't it?

Odd things happening to company websites have in the past often been attributed to somebody becoming an ex member of staff - and pulling the plug on the way out the building!

I remember a very funny example where a company fired somebody - as part of a round of redundancies - and forgot that he had complete control of their Twitter account. That one went viral........  I think a few companies learned a few lessons from that one!

So who knows - maybe there's only one person who knows what to do with the Quantcast code - and where it is / should be?

That is a very good one. Sabotage had never occurred to me. Definitely worth adding to the list.

13. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Perhaps HP no longer feels like giving a third-party and the public access to its traffic stats.  All they want to know about traffic can be extracted from server logs. And if they want more information about users' habits they can develop their own pernicious, evil cookies in-house.

Whatever their reasons, it's apparently low on HP's priority list to contact Quantcast about the flat-line.   Why don't they do like eHow and just make everything private? https://www.quantcast.com/ehow.com?qcLo … aphicsCard

This whole thing really is indeed a mystery...

A. What is happening?

B. Why is it happening?

C. Why is it happening the way it is happening?

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's worth worrying about since we know HP is getting more than 0 hits per day. Like every technical problem here, it'll get solved eventually, but not soon.   It's not out of the realm of possibility that HP switched to a private, paid, self-hosted non-web-based stats program. Something like Mint maybe. Website owners don't have to feed big data machines like Quantcast and Google Analytics.

They do however have to show validated verified traffic if they want to get decent advertisers. The owners words is not good enough for advertising buyers.

If they're just using the "anybody can have these adverts" type of advertiser they'll get less income.

14. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

I want a silo.

15. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Reagrdless of the reason or cause I am not really seeing the downside for HP letting us know about it.

I wish HP would at least confirm they are indeed removing all the Q tracking tags. They certainly don't have to tell us why. In fact, Q TOS may even be preventing them from publicly explaining their reasons.

Meanwhile, I looked at January 28th data. They're getting closer, but they still haven't ferreted them all out yet. Understandable, there's 7 to 8 years worth of treacle they have to plow through.

2. makingamark profile image70

I have a theory as to why they're doing it.

They don't want to see people advertising the site's slide in traffic.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/hubpages.com

You are not alone as to that theory.

Meanwhile, I never realized until now Alexa belonged to Amazon.

2. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I knew about Alexa, but didn't know the others were equally bad; Google Trends especially surprised me. As for Q, glad to see confirmation at least the quantified data is accurate.

16. paradigmsearch profile image61

Meanwhile, looks like HP has just about gotten them all...

17. paradigmsearch profile image61

hi?

18. paradigmsearch profile image61

Still a few critters to go...

19. paradigmsearch profile image61

An fyi and request to HP Staff...

I have been having a field day reporting about this elsewhere.

Quantcast discovered it, but apparently you still have not.

I would like closure here.

Please confirm your removal of Q tags. As previously stated, an explanation of your actions is not necessary.

20. paradigmsearch profile image61

The Exam

Locked in a room I was.

Two copper wires hung down from the ceiling.

A pair of long-nosed pliers lay on the floor.

Nothing else in the room.

The exam? To attach the two wires together; thus completing a circuit and unlocking the doors. Succeed or die. Simple as that.

Personally, I think these corporate Human Resources applicant tests go too far these days… Or maybe it’s just me.

I grabbed the end of one wire and reached for the other. Too far.

I picked up the pliers. Used them to grab one wire by the extreme tip. And again reached as far as possible for the other wire. Again the other wire was still too far away.

Human Resources informed me through the speaker they were going home for the day and would check back tomorrow.

I was hungry and thirsty. I also noticed I was starting to get cold.

21. paradigmsearch profile image61

And there is an answer.

22. paradigmsearch profile image61

But not from HP.

205 we are.

Critters still remain.

23. paradigmsearch profile image61

@programmers

As a former programmer, you have my sympathies.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)