What does duplicate content exactly mean?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. al derecho profile image61
    al derechoposted 8 years ago

I know hubpages prohibits writers from having duplicate content. My problem is understanding what that exactly means. I heard from many that it means writers can't publish content here that already exists elsewhere, but can publish here first and then publish it elsewhere. My concern is if I were to write articles here, but someone were to steal it a week later and publish it on his site, would my article be flagged as duplicate content and be unpublished as a result? If so, doesn't that hurt hubpages by discouraging writers to publish anything here?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

No, provided you published the article first, you won't be penalised by HubPages if someone steals it.

However yes, it does discourage writers from publishing here now.   

Theft of articles has always been an issue on HubPages, but in the site's heyday it was worth the hassle because the earnings potential on HP was so great regardless.  Now that traffic and earnings are less impressive, that tradeoff becomes more debatable.

al derechoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So, if a site steals my content, hubpages doesn't require that I get it to remove the content (provided it was published here first)? I've heard people say they had to file DMCA complaints, but is it because hubpages requires them to do so or because hubpage writers choose to?

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is because the writer wishes to protect their work and because they wish to be a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem.  Encouraging thieves by allowing stolen material to remain published can only hurt the community as a whole.

But in reference to your OP, you cannot publish here and then publish the same thing somewhere else.  Outside of stolen material, HP does require that the material on the site be unique to this site, and if you re-publish elsewhere it is no longer unique.

3. TeriSilver profile image95
    TeriSilverposted 8 years ago

You don't have to file a complaint; it's up to you. Often, it's hard to do unless you can find the offending site's contact info (the "file complaint" button, next to where HP tells you the link of the stolen content, only works if they can link it, but if not, they provide suggestions on what to do).  I've had a number of articles scraped, and I've been able to get some sites to remove stolen content, but it takes a lot of time.  It's aggravating but there is little that you can really do to prevent it and Google has never been much help.  I had an instance once where I had republished on HP, an article that I'd previously published on Suite101.  Suite was gone, which left the piece mine again for republishing.  But shortly after I republished, I was tagged for duplicate content because another site had previously stolen my words verbatim from the Suite article. Because I always keep PDF copies of my work and have the original copyright date (of the Suite article), HP noted that the original work was mine (they reversed the plag-flag) and published the article.  Lesson learned.  There are a few others I wrote for Suite that I wanted to republish on HP, but that info was stolen by a number of sites and I knew it would be a nightmare to deal with.  Copyscape will help you find and determine what to do.

4. UnnamedHarald profile image94
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years ago

BTW al, just so it's clear, you can publish your original work on HubPages, but if you want to publish it somewhere else, be sure and delete it from HubPages first. Also, sometimes the DMCA notification of infringement generated for you might also include the email address to send the DMCA notification to if it's in HP's growing database of offending sites (oftentimes, though, it's unknown to HP.

5. al derecho profile image61
    al derechoposted 8 years ago

It looks like everyone here agrees that it's not a problem if someone steals a hubpages writer's content, and hubpages writers are not required to file a DMCA complaint. However, if hubpages doesn't allow a person to publish here first and then republish elsewhere but has no problem with content being stolen, how does hubpages tell the difference between what is stolen material and what is not? If I publish here first and then elsewhere, how would hubpages know whether it's stolen or simply republished by me elsewhere?

1. UnnamedHarald profile image94
      UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Since you must delete your Hub before you publish it elsewhere, HubPages won't know and won't care. If you don't delete it and publish it elsewhere then, yes, HubPages is going to care. If you want to have your article on HubPages, you can't have it somewhere else at the same time.

How does hubpages determine if a hubpages writer is republishing their content elsewhere or if others are stealing a hubpages writer's content? That's what I don't understand. Am I flagged and then have to explain to hubpages that my work has been stolen? Or do they have ways to detect what is stolen and what is republished by the hubpages writer? I don't want to write articles here only to have it stolen and have hubpages assume it's me who is the one republishing it elsewhere.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

People are misleading you slightly.

The rule is this:  when you publish a Hub on HubPages, it MUST be original material, not already published elsewhere. 

However, once your Hub is published, it's an honour system.  You must not republish your work anywhere else, BUT HubPages will not penalise you for it, because it doesn't have the resources to check every copy to see whether it's yours or a thief.  However,  it's a pointless thing to do, because it won't do you any good.

When you publish an article in multiple places, Google simply assesses all the copies and chooses ONE to include in the search results. The risk is that Google will choose the one with less earnings potential, so it's always best to choose the best place for the article and publish it there (and nowhere else).

Thank you for clearing that up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)