Democrats only vote for candidates to retain 'services'?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

I guess I get kind of annoyed when I constantly hear many conservatives say that Democrats get their votes from people who only want to retain their Government benefits.

I can think of a lot of people that would be concerned about maintaining benefits that: federal pensioners, retired military, social security recipients, medicare, etc.  Lets  not forget the Active military and the federal work force.

This presupposes that the Conservatives have such altruistic natures and do not vote for things solely in their interest. Really? What about the cultural conservatives, or the gun rights people? What about ideas of less federal regulation, that would benefit them and their businesses but impose burdens on the rest of us. What about the massive military outlay that enriches the corporate classes at the expense of the rest of us.

Our Constitution support the idea of one man/one vote. It does not speak of 'money' as being the equivalent of political selections made by the ballot.

So why are conservatives different?

1. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh my! You have been nipping from my martini pitcher haven't you?

What a mess.

When conservatives speak of Dems getting their votes from entitlement voters do you really think it is those folks you mentioned that they have in mind? I would think it is the welfare safety net programs they speak of.

Of course folks vote in their own interests relative to social issues, Right and Left. Would you expect it to be otherwise?

Also, our Constitution does not speak of "one man one vote." It speaks of proportional representation. I think it was the Court that that coined the term when it addressed that issue.

Drawing on my admittedly poor memory, let me ask you to revisit some of your thoughts on that "Democrats get their votes from people who only want to retain their Government benefits" point relative to your perceptions of your time in Hawaii.

GA

Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Who they have in mind, according to Romney that was 47% of the American electorate?

I don't think that many people are on 'welfare'.

Of course folks vote their interests, it is just when I hear conservatives talk the progressives interests are selfish and theirs are not.

My point is that everyone has the right to vote, regardless of why they vote for the candidates they do. Thanks, you are right about the courts coining the phrase.

Yep, I have had  problems with the Hawaii (Big Island) social services net, as it is more of a hammock. But there are no jobs, and people vote to sustain a system that enhances their survival under that circumstance. That is not unnatural. If you have a problem with it, you can move elsewhere. As the people have spoken, as to how they want county resources applied in that county.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image61
          tirelesstravelerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Last government statistics noted 51% of the population of U S don't pay taxes. Maybe not welfare, but not doing well

Don't pay federal income tax. But there are other taxes that they do pay. Sales tax, state income taxes for example. There are a lot of 'fat cats' that don't pay along with deductions for whatever reasons and elderly and others that simply do not have the income to tax.

Not all states have sales taxes.

2. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"I don't think that many people are on 'welfare'."

Did you include those getting food stamps?  Free/reduced lunch for their kids?  Obamacare subsidies?  Section 8 housing?  Free/reduced health care for their kids?  Free/reduced utility bills?  Free cell phones?  Help with day care?  Free mass transit?  There are a thousand ways to get what you are "entitled" to from government programs and it should not surprise you that half the country gets something (I do not include SS, unemployment insurance, etc. that you have paid for).

Getting something is not universal welfare....

I imagine that you are getting something as well, so what is it?

1. colorfulone profile image78
              colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The state pays my wages but I work many more hours in a week then what they actually pay me for.  Otherwise, I don't get anything from the government.

Thank you for that, the public sector still provides you with your means of support. You have a job, that is alot in my opinion, with all the benefits afforded public sector employees.

1. colorfulone profile image78
                  colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I didn't explain that well.  The state pays a privet agency that employees me, they pay me the bulk and keeps a small part of the money for operation costs.  I don't get benefits from the government, or paid by them directly.  Sorry about that.   

The government decides how many hours I can work per day and get paid for.  Believe me, I am not complaining, I am grateful.

This is a straight shoot, Colorfulone.

You are a government contractor, your job is funded by taxpayer funds from the State coffers.

I am glad that you are gainfully employed.

And gives something back (labor) in return.  What does the government get back for the food stamps given out?

So given that you are an older fellow you are not receiving anything from the state that is not subsidized by others?

Sure thing!  I get SS, which I paid dearly for for 40 years only to find politicians had "invested" it extremely unwisely (spending it on their pet projects) and I thus have very little left. 

Other than that, nothing.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image61

Big tax bills. Big fines for watering my yard, and burning on spare the air days to name just a little of what I get.

2. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The entitlements of corporate America were" not voted" in by conservative voters  , Nor were the extremely rapid expansions  of  the   government entitlement jobs voted into place.  Conservatives are about the very language and terminology of Conserving  !   Small non- intrusive central government , LOWER taxation  ,    a strong presence in military protectionism .   

It is the liberal nanny state of mind that has increased  taxations ,  diminished personal liberties  , driven the social revolutions that  formed the two -parent working necessity ! Jesus ......where does it end with liberal  gimmes ?   When will you be happy ? ---------- When liberal junior's grandchildren have  a guaranteed minimum income .   

Yes , no longer the conserving  , minimum wage or  basic social services ! Liberals won't be happy until there are essentially no taxes ,   no jobs required and  a guaranteed  nanny state  federal government regular monthly check ,.  There used to be a time when a government job even , meant lower pay  but longer term retirement benefits  .   That changed completely with liberal causes ,unions , expanded services , expanded government  employee-ship  ,   cell phone distribution ,"earned income "   tax breaks for larger families who get back from IRS way  more than they pay in  ., As if "earned "  were a term that any liberal that I know fully understood the meaning of !

You know I'm right - give it up !

2. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 7 years ago

We have reached the point where people are voting for cake and circuses. The few who stand on principal are called nasty names. What sounds like good things to vote for always pass in California. The problem is we have been voting the same things repeatedly. In 1972 we voted to increase the sales tax to bring the train to our area. I personally have seen this come up 3 other times. Still there is no train. - The good people of our town just voted a bond to help schools.  All school money goes through the state coffer. The state takes what it wants then tells the schools they get about 1/2. The money is coming from an increase in property taxes. The average property owner increased their property taxes by $24/ hundred thousand property tax assessment. There were three bonds with assessments like that which passed. I estimate my property taxes on 2 small houses will increase nearly $800 this year. Most won't know why their bill increased.
    There is no difference between conservatives and others. Mostly because information is not true . Our voter guide says on page 2 the information in the book may be accurate or not. Heard a song this morning. God is great, beer is good and people are crazy. Pretty much sums life in the US

thanks, Tirelesstraveller. Waste, fraud and abuse is not acceptable from either side. Where has all the money gone? Who is to be held accountable?

Part of it goes to commissions that were originally set up to last a couple of years and 35 years later someone is still being paid to keep the office open. There is lots of that kind of thing. There is also the shell game with educational money. Lotto was for schools. They gave the lotto money to schools and took the school money for th general fund.

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

Meme time!   

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13066398.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)