Hubs Moved to Niche Sites That Are Still Being Edited

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image91
    Jean Bakulaposted 7 years ago

I just  got the "happy" news that one of my hubs about Cancer Moon Sign People has been moved to Exemplore. I don't feel happy, it was moved there months ago, and there was nothing wrong with it. It was well written when I wrote it.

I give links on hubs like this so people can find their own planetary positions, and the link I had expired. So I just spent an hour replacing them. But I don't know what else they did to "fix" it. It looks to me like they should be spending their time reading just submitted hubs or older ones that already have not been moved to niche sites.

I am getting way beyond frustrated. I spend more time on here than ever before, on hubs I wrote in 2011 and am starting to resent it. Once it's on a niche site, can't they leave it alone? The little blip in earnings isn't worth my blood.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Are you sure it's still being edited?

I've noticed that the green HubPro symbol never disappears from Hubs that have been moved to the niche sites even though they finished editing them ages ago.

Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa,
      Thanks, I see the green pencil never leaves. But many of my hubs that have been moved have no green pencil or mark of any kind. It makes it difficult to go back and edit them if I want them moved to niche sites, I can't see which I fixed and which I didn't, without keeping lists. It's a big time waster.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
        CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The green pencil just means that the hub was edited. It's fine for it to remain. authors get an email notifying them when the hub is edited, so they can review the edits. Also, I believe that there is a redirect, so the former link will continue to get people to your hub even tho it hs been moved.  But it would be helpful to be able to see which have already been moved so we know which ones we should edit on our own to raise the quality. Once I had a green pencil on a hub for over a month before the hub was moved, even tho I reviewed and accepted the edits.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
          CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

correction to my prior post. I have a hub with the green pencil symbol o it that was never moved to a niche site.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
            Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You've reminded me, so do I.

I have so many, it makes it really hard to go to my account page to see what needs my attention. I've had to resort to making lists. And at least 20 of the hubs they moved have no indication at all, no pencil, no red exclamation point, nada. So that'a another list .I can have a series of 12 hubs and can't tell which 6 have been moved. It's getting worse and worse.

You just have to go up to the top of your Account page and choose a site in the drop down box.

I know that. But I still have to search that whole site to see where it is and which hub was moved. On the ones they mark with the pencil or email to tell you they were moved, at least there is a link that takes you to the hub. Somebody just screwed up and moved a bunch of my hubs and didn't mark them at all, or tell me where they were put, or even show me the corrections made. It was a lot of them. It happened soon after they began moving them. They are sitting on my HP account page with not a mark on them. I can't remember them all without listing them. It's OK. I'm correcting and changing a few things, but have too much going on to do that much.

Glenn said he checked, and said the titles were not consistent. When I checked, there was a colon on one out of 12 hubs, so I don't think that's such a big obstacle for them.(This was one series of 12 hubs) They are being really sloppy about letting me know what they are doing, splitting all the series things, and putting some in categories that make no sense. I've written in, and either they don't care, or are overwhelmed.. I know you care, it's just several issues, and it's making it very hard for me to find my hubs to change the things I want. They are not being consistent at all. It would be helpful if the ones they moved that are not marked in any way were at least taken off my account page. It's wasting so much time to find one hub.

I'll live, I don't want to talk this to death.

I don't quite understand that sentence.

Go to your "My Account" page. Click on the box that says "select a site" and select "HubPages".  That gives you a list of the Hubs that are still on HubPages.  Even if they have a green symbol next to them, if they are still showing on that list then they have not been moved.

Now try selecting another site in that box - you will see a list of your Hubs that have already been moved to that particular site.

Don't get confused by the green pencil icon.   If you're a good writer, some of your Hubs will get moved without being edited at all, so they won't ever have a green icon.

Also the green icon doesn't go away even after editing is complete.  If a Hub has already been moved to a niche site, then you can be confident they've already finished all the editing.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

Jean, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

What do you mean about a link that expired? If you have links to other hubs and those hubs are moved to a niche site, the links are automatically changed to the new URL. Your don't need to update it yourself. Besides, links don't expire. The only way they become dead links is if the destination has been deleted.

4. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

The editor's nervousness is palpable. If they stifle writers they will surely lose out. After all, we are expected to write for love not money.

One Dozen of my hubs already moved to a niche site had all the links crossed out. The one link on each hub is essential to have so the hub makes sense. Once I looked into it further, the link was actually down, so it wasn't HP's fault, and I've replaced the links with new ones.

However, HP continues to take series I wrote in 12 parts and split them up on different niches. I've written in about this several times. I don't care if the twelve stay on HP, but don't split them up again into three niche sites, when they discuss one planet in all twelves signs. This creates a situation for me where my readers can't find the info they are looking for about themselves.

My Venus series is scattered through Letterpile, Exemplore Paired LIfe and HP. They are all fictional stories I wrote, and should be in one place, and not just stuck where they need more hubs.

I've had it.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Did you put all of them into the same exact topic category?

EDIT: I just answered my own question. I looked at three of your Venus Hubs. You put "Venus in Capricorn" in astrology and you put "Venus in Aquarius" in creative writing. HubPages simply placed them in the appropriate niche sites as per the topics you yourself selected.  Astrology went into PairedLife and the one in creative writing went into LetterPile, as would be expected.

Your title "Venus in Pisces: People's Love Lives" is the only one with a colon before "People's Love Lives" and that would have made the bot put presidence on the second part of the title, causing that hub to go into Exemplor. 

You need to keep consistency between the way you title your hubs, and the topic, if you want them to stay together.

Thanks for checking, I don't like to cause you extra work.

But that's not the whole story. Christy wanted some of them in Paired Life. Just because a couple goes out for a while, that doesn't mean they will be together for life.

And before the hubs were moved to the niches, HP changed many of my categories to things other than where I had them.

I appreciate your help, but it seems like the team is working at cross purposes. I've brought this category thing up with Christy several times. She's always patient and nice, like you, but I wasn't the one to put the pieces that were moved into the categories they ended up in before they were moved. I was shocked to see how some of them were categorized. I guess it doesn't matter, people are reading them.

I just don't know if I want to continue to write anything new.

I understand.  If you catch that they changed the topic, you can click on the pencil icon and undo that one change. Then send them an email telling them why you changed the topic back and why all the topics need to be the same.

But also fix those titles so you use the same formatting of the titles for all that belong together. Like I said, some have colons and some don't. Consistency also helps.

By the way, I never saw that pencil go away. It always remains. Just the exclamation mark next to the pencil goes away when you confirm their edits.

I'll try to be more consistent.

I wrote most of these hubs five years ago.

I love the callout capsules, I've become a big fan since you told me what they are.

How do I confirm their edits? I normally go with what they say, unless the picture is really hideous and has nothing to do with what I'm writing about. I didn't know we couldn't just use Google Images when I came here, and I'm spending an alarming amount of hours finding pictures.

And now I realize the links are not working on any of my Mercury Hubs either. But I was only about half way through fixing them up for other reasons, so I'm glad I realized it now. It's an Astrology mystery why so many of them changed.

Thanks as usual.

You can see the changes they made, capsules removed, etc., by clicking the pencil icon.

A safe place to find many useful images is from pixabay. All images there have a CC0 license so you are free to use them commercially.

There aren't many Astrology pictures, so everyone on HP who uses them use the same ones over and over. I'm creative, but can't draw well, or I'd make my own.

Since the Mercury and Venus hubs are fictional in nature, I have more freedom with pictures, depending on what I do with my characters. And I mention in the summary I was nagged to use that they are fiction. Except for the Sun Signs and Moon Signs, many of the others are fiction and I say so in the summary.

Using the category tool isn't that easy. It leads you to places the computer thinks you should go. Since I write on other uncommon topics besides Astrology, it's very hard for me to describe two or three categories that I want my hub in. I'm not changing all of them now after writing hubs in 2010 and 2011, I publish on other sites that pay me better. It's just a fluke of good fortune I'm making money again here, but I have no idea how long it will last. I've had to rewrite, change links, change pictures, and am unwilling to put the time in to do more, it's very time consuming. I spent 4 hours last night changing links that no longer work and pictures HP doesn't like. They don't even like Tarot pics, when any deck that's published is already in the public domain.

I will finish correcting the links, and if I can, more pictures. When HP adds one, it's something from the 1800s that is ugly and usually black and white. I've changed some back that are already on niche sites, but are legal usage, public domain. But I have to give most of my attention to sites that saw my work here and asked me to come there and get paid by the article. I like HP, but have to be practical about how I allocate my time.

I appreciate your help though.

2. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't disappear just yet. New copy editors, new structure for the site... I don't think they have had time to really work out what they are doing, yet.

I wouldn't stop complaining, though, lol.

Don't worry Will, I will continue to complain. I'm really crabby now finding links that work. And pictures that aren't black and white. And making format decisions made not by me, even though it's my work.

I will even complain for someone else who is shy about complaining smile.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)