Whats wrong with the American family , culture , Cannot be denied ?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13301812.png

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13301815.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13301818.jpg

As you all , like me , sit around the Thanksgiving , Christmas table this season and wonder why you've  experienced such a twisted , hyper insane , election ,  college term , family gathering , broken relationship , love affair ,  domestic spat ,  argumentative totally  disconnected  existence  ? 
    Look at the photos above and tell me what's wrong !

I would love someone here to prove me wrong !

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I thought who would approve of cell smart phones.

Every time we have a cell on us, the Government can watch everything we are doing. How else will the Government ever listen to what the public has to say or doing.?

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Not one person at our table had a phone in use. Even my granddaughter with her new boyfriend.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Awesome. That's the way it should be , My 39  year old daughter visited for ten before thanksgiving for days and lived on the cell phone ,  caused a bit of a problem , was told , Dad ! Everyone does this , better get used to it !

2. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's nice, and just how it should be at family gatherings.  There are many studies that show smart phones may cause brain cancer, mental illness, shorten memory and even brain damage.  Limiting time spend on those devices is certainly advised, but they are addicting to so many users.   Texting while driving is insane, or while having a dinner conversation across the table.    Its so progressive. 

I have only had a land-line for maybe seven years already.  I only used a cell phone for business away from home or so might kids could contact me if I was out.

3. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is one unique time that I can't prove you wrong. We all talk past each other rather than to each other. The cell phone culture has hindered authentic communications, rather than facilitate them. But it is the 21st Century, who can go back to that simpler time of slimline, touch tone telephones? A time where communication outside the immediate family were controlled by parents, who did not let you use or remain on the phone, willy/nilly. I always tell conservatives in a wholesome spirit that we can never go back, but have to move forward and adjust as we go to a changing reality in the socio-cultural realm.

Time changes Space....

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Go back to slim line touch tone? Heck, I can remember being a kid way out in the country with a party line. The operator knew all of us before we spoke our names.

1. Credence2 profile image79

Yeah, I remember getting bopped on the head with one of those heavy stand alone black land line phone receivers whenever I was on it without permission. It had the ancient dial feature. Think about this, today, parents give their Tweens these phones which allow interaction with a world that they are not prepared for. It is so much easier for kids to get into trouble......

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

LOL  It's the "progressive" way, isn't it?  "Progress" to individual phones so parents can't see what's being said.  So kids can be harassed until they suicide (just happened in Texas).  So we're tied to the job 24-7.  So we can pay 5X what we used to.  So Uncle Sam can track our every movement and know where we are at any given time. 

But it doesn't always work that way - my daughter found texts on her daughters phone (she looks it over periodically, as every good parent should and heck with privacy) and the grand daughter has now lost her phone for 6 months.  A lifetime for a 15 year old.

We can progress and adjust. Why give a kid a phone with internet access or texting capability? Parents can start by giving the kid a phone with a feature that show calls received or made and avoid all of the rest.

Hats off to your daughter for exercising  proper parental supervision.  When you are old enough to be responsible for yourself and your actions, only then is your right to privacy absolute.

1. wilderness profile image94

"Why give a kid a phone with internet access or texting capability?"

Because it's progressive.  No reason needed as long as it is "progressing" to something different. smile

"When you are old enough to be responsible for yourself and your actions, only then is your right to privacy absolute."

Not bloody likely, not in this world and with this government.  Not to speak of the Great God Google!

(My wife goes to great lengths to hide her Christmas shopping from me.  And Google promptly begins to supply me with ads to what she has been looking at.  Funny!)

I am progressive, politically, economically and culturally. But, being progressive does not translate into permissive parenting. 'Something different' is always inevitable with the passing of time, particularly in this day and age. Conservatives accuse liberals of an 'anything goes' attitude and I accuse conservatives of pining for the days of nickel cokes, beach party movies and Fred Flintstone taking Wilma to the drive in. I hope that both are extremes.

But, keeping your woman from buying too much stuff because it is on sale is a universal issue regardless of which side of the ideological ledger you come down on.......

You misunderstand.  She hides her purchases because they are my Xmas gift.  A surprise that she wants to KEEP a surprise, but google won't let her.  The first time it happened it was really funny that I figured out what she bought me, and how I did it.  But it's gotten old, and is more reminder now of just how much we're being watched.

Any other Xmas shopping we do together.  There is no "keeping my woman from buying too much stuff".  You don't stay married for 40+ years by playing strongman.  Nor do you keep respect for your spouse, whichever side of that control you're on.

I see. It is just a pleasant routine, a natural ploy during the holidays.

There are differences, strengths and weaknesses that me and my spouse have, but those differences compliment each other and make us more effective and successful in the world as a team than either of us would have been alone. Where my spouse is impetuous and spontaneous, I am more reserved and guarded. There are varying  times when one set of values are more appropriate in a situation than the other. There is no 'me Tarzan you Jane' in our relationship.

And that is the only a marriage can actually work.  Like you, we recognize our strengths and weaknesses and depend on the spouse's strengths to cover for each of us.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
                GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"...keeping your woman from..."

Oh my! Glad I am not on your side of the screen.

GA

Is it something I said? Yes, she is my woman through mutual betrothal and I am her man.

The terminology is offensive and not PC, for you do not own your wife and she is not your slave.

But I kind of agree with you - my wife is MY woman.  By her own choice, revocable at any moment.  PC be hanged - those looking to be offended will always find offense (not meaning GA by any means).

2. GA Anderson profile image89
                    GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Here, try this shovel, it has a longer handle.

ps. your marriage vows were pledges, not ownership papers.

GA

3. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Those  photos I posted ARE the direction of the new American family !   Its happening everywhere , restaurants, living rooms , schools , dorms , we have reached a collective point of the liquidation and dissolving  of valuable family or friending   time together . Of face to face communicating , I kid you not  . I spent ten days with  40 year old kids  and watched across the table as they  talked , even to each other , without lifting their face from the phones ,  not even trying to actually converse .
        And these people wonder why they are not hearing from me .

Rude Is the new ,In !

I am not in the least bit surprised about your example as to how cell phones are used.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)