Proofreading on my Hub: Domestic Violence: Causes and Consequences

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Cricrinel profile image60
    Cricrinelposted 7 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please proofread my Hub Domestic Violence: Causes and Consequences (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thank you in advance!!!

1. SakinaNasir53 profile image96
      SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cricrinel! ☺
      Your hub is good. I would suggest the following points.

1. Write about something that you're truly passionate about or have knowledge in. Don't you think people might find a tons of articles on abuse?

2. Make sure your pictures are in the public domain  (copyright free). Pixabay, Pexels.com and Morguefile.com are great to use. Flickr is great too. Read Marisa Wright's hub on how to use Flickr properly.

3. Add revelant videos, tables and callout capusles wherever necessary. Polls are good too.

4. You can an app like Grammarly to spellcheck your hub. I find some grammatical mistakes.

5. You can include suggestions in solving abuse, if you plan to stick with this.

Hope this helps. Good luck! ☺

Cricrinelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Dear Sakina,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I believe I covered all your points in my article. Additionally, I'm a criminal psychologist so I have knowledge about any kind of crimes. I'm writing this article so people can be aware of the situation of domestic violence and in the end of the article I provide advises to people what to do in such cases.  Do you think you can provide me a more specific advice? I would really appreciate it from you.

Thank you in advance!
        Elizabeth

I think its okay. But you can add more pictures and another video. Leave the italics and bold.

Cricrinelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

oh great, thank you! I'll give it a try smile

Welcome! ☺

2. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Cricrinel, and welcome to HubPages.

Two things I noticed about your article. First, you say you are a criminal psychologist, but you don't have a bio that points this out. In an article like this, having the reader know that you have professional credentials in the subject area makes all the difference in the world. If you have those credentials, you should definitely say so in your bio. And it's not enough to just say you are a criminal psychologist; you need to list any degrees, professional experience, or licenses you have that back up that statement.

Second, you need to properly attribute your photos. You need to fill in the appropriate fields in the photo capsule to say where you got each photo, and to indicate its copyright status. Obviously, you must not use copyrighted photos without proper permission. Note that the fact that a photo is not marked as copyrighted doesn't mean it's not. Unless the owner of the photo has specifically marked it as public domain or as being under a CC license, you must treat it as being under copyright and not use it without permission.

Hope this helps.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

I will be frank here, as a psychologist familiar with the literature on violence I do not think your hub is accurate.  As a small example I would pull out statements like the following:

"Research shows that children, whose mother was abused, are victims of verbal, physical, psychological or sexual abuse."

You seem to be stating that all (100%) children of abused mothers are abusde in some way.  this is not correct, some abusers are indiscriminate and abuse all household members, others are very specific and abuse some whilst favoring others.  You need to step back from stating this correlation as 100% when the highest empirically-based estimate is 75% and the most reliable estimates are below 50% (See McKay 1994, Eddleson 1999) for a review, and individual studies that are more recent--pay most attention to research with large sample sizes based on diverse populations.  Most of the children probably do *observe* abuse, which is in itself damaging.

"Moreover, abused women have high possibilities to abuse their children."

If by "high" you mean "over 50%" (the received statistical use of the word) this is also untrue. In almost all of the cases above the abuser of the child is the same person abusing the mother.  Abuse by the child *by* the victimized mother has only been properly studied by a single researcher (Schechter) and it seem there is an increased risk but not what would statistically be described as "high".--about double baseline, which in the United States amounts to less than one percent.

In short, if you are going to write on a subject this important, and this sensitive, please cite your sources and make sure they are good ones.  Asserting that women victims of intimate partner violence are probably abusive mothers is, at best, irresponsible.  Language should not be used imprecisely and citations should be provided.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)