Obama again

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (50 posts)
  1. HubChief profile image71
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

So hows he done so far in your opinion..

Is economy recovery destined the way things are today,
    or
    is it Obama's team getting successful
    or
    is it a silent ticking bomb still to explode and we woudl end up in deep recession?

its a serious one... a lot of uncertainity cloud today has got a lot of turmoil, having a constructive discussion would bring some relief to us about what we all think.

so no unserious ones please.

Seems round 1 discussions already went in? this is round 2!!

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image60
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am very concerned when it comes to Obama,..For one thing the people on his team, is not a team I want playing for me. To many changes are being made to our constition, he's got Kissenger working for him, and Kissenger was bragging how Obama can bring on NWO when our econemy falls. So in all honesty I think Obama is going to ruin the U.S.

2. BudHasherdashery profile image60
      BudHasherdasheryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Obama so far has done a deplorable job, and broken (or is about to break) every promise made in his campaign for the White House. 

The economy is still in the toilet, and his refusal too fully fund and implement E Verify means we have over 7.5 million illegal aliens working in our economy while some 12 million plus LEGAL IMMIGRANTS AND CITIZENS find themselves without a job.

He promised to bring our troops home...moving our troops from one theatre of war (Iraq) into another (Afghanistan) is a promise broken, not a promise kept.

Raising our taxes here in the middleclass...have you watched CNN today?

Health Care reform as he envision is a raping of the middle class, and deliberate Baby Boomer Genocide.  By the way, why should we Americans pick up the tab to give 12-25 million illegal aliens health insurance?

Remember his STIMULUS PACKAGE?  The only people to have benefitted from it were A) illegal aliens (they got 300,000 jobs out of it) and B) the uber rich owners of corporations. In the meantime, the bank bailout could have been used to repay the mortages of 80 percent of all LEGAL AMERICANS with mortgages...want to talk about stimulating the economy?

I voted for him, but Obama sucks as President.

HubChiefposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what are the expectations?

Can we all have wishlist or action plans that we would like to have?

2. packerpack profile image58
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

Well being in India it is difficult to analyze the condition but one can get a fair idea especially if you are in IT and majority of your clients are American. Going by the latest development I have a gut feeling that it has started receding (actually recession never hit India in true sense like it did to USA or European countries). But if someone gives a clear cut answer to the above question then I would say that the answer is based on some assumption or the gut feeling (just like I did). I have heard and read at a number of places that the amount of damage done by this recession will take a real long time to heal not before the end of 2010. It will be then that picture will start becoming clear. Right now I think it is too early to come out with any conclusion.

Just imagine the amount of damage done. We have some companies going down even today. Recent GM downfall is an example. Hence we should give some time for the whole thing to come in place. In that sense I would say it is too early to judge Mr. Obama. Give him some time. It is not as easy as rebuilding a coffee shop, he has to rebuild the whole economy, whole of the strongest economy in the world!

3. HubChief profile image71

agree that its not easy to run country

But seems he is already lived 13% of his time as president. so his direction could be visible to be clear. I donot think he woudl come and say well you gave me only 4 years and this what i coudl do... I think time needs more delibrate efforts which he seems to be making. I want to make sure Ia am not teh only one seeing positive signals but other ones are also noticing.

I think you confirmed that some lower momentum in recession is already there as you see from outside?

4. packerpack profile image58
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

Well off course there is a limit to everything. He just cannot say to wait for his term to be over to see the change as stated by you. But then 13% of his time in office is still not sufficient to bring about the change that will turn the market as a whole but definitely it is enough of time to show that he has taken steps to improve things as stated by you again.

So far knowing others opinion is concerned, it depends how the other person takes the tings as, how well informed he/she is etc etc. Different people will give you different opinion.

And so far my opinion is concerned, it is just based on gut feeling!

5. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Totally agree with you Packerpack. If only people would give him a chance.

How has he done so far?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/17959

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For how long? When do you start holding him accountable for results?

6. HubChief profile image71

thanks for the link Lady_E.

7. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Wait.  Ask that question again in a year.  What's funny is that you assume that one person can decide how an entire economy does.  Nobody can do that.  Papa Obama is about to get a sharp lesson in that little fact over the next year.

That's what he's counting on. If he holds out long enough (stretching the 'It's Bush's fault' line to the breaking point) the economy should recover on its own (unless he really does manage to distort the cycle with his FDR-on-crack program) and he'll be on TV taking credit for it and entrenching bad ideas that will cost generations of Americans to come.

1. packerpack profile image58
        packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not think the damage is minor enough to get repaired on it's own. If comes back to normal then it has to be because of the effort from the present administration and if they take credit I don't see anything wrong in it

LOL. History.

2. nicomp profile image61
          nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The government can't repair anything. "On it's own" is the free market, which will recover or not recover in spite of the inane activities of the feds.

Do we really want the same people in charge of our health care that can't even run a 'cash for clunkers' program without bankrupting it in a week?

2. ledefensetech profile image67
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think things are going to be better in a year?  The reason I say wait is because of inflation.  Just wait till that bites us on the rear end.

In a year? Yeah, probably on the up-swing by then unless all this ridiculous spending and distorting artificially flattens the curve. Unless the Fed completely drops the ball inflation can still be managed to a certain degree.

1. ledefensetech profile image67

We'll see.  We're still at about 1932 in our new depression.  In fact I really think the Dow is due for a nosedive in the next couple of months.  The Alt-A reset is going to upset a lot of applecarts.  Still we'll see.  I think they and by extension we, are screwed.

Is your analysis based upon the gut feel or real data. The Dow is showing positive direction, the job less claims are reducing. In fact today morning teh manufacturing stats seemed positive. What is the fact it in your mind that is showing red alert?

1. ledefensetech profile image67

My analysis is based on my reading of history.  Even if we only look at the last meltdown the US faced in the 1970's we see economic indicators all over the place.  People thought things were getting better, then the bottom would drop out, get better, drop out.  All because the Fed was targeting specific interest rates.  Keynesian economists at the time thought that they were doing the right thing by inflating the money supply, but they were in fact prolonging the agony.  Ever hear the term "dead cat bounce"?  The only "recovery" we've seen are banks moving money around.  Real recovery will consist of us making things again, not just moving money around.  Still we'll see.  You hold on to your hopes and cherish your dreams, I'll trust less the words of criminal politicians and more my analysis of history.

2. HubChief profile image71

We are talking about team. Since Obama is the leader, he is responsible for his team's action. it management principle, isn't it? and what do you intend to say by "sharp lesson". Is it positive or negative?

3. packerpack profile image58
      packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree here. Do we realize how big the problem is? All we want is result without taking into consideration anything. Some greedy created a mess and he came forward to clean it .... now instead of understanding the problem that he has to deal with, all we are concerned that the mess be cleaned as soon as possible...... reviving economy of America is no joke. It hardly takes a minute to ruin things but to build the same, it takes lot of patience and planning. He is not just supposed to bring the economy back on rails but also has to ensure that this do not happen in future again

8. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

The choices of the electorate in the next few years will also play a role in how this plays out, of course.

9. Joelle Burnette profile image71
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

It's still too early to judge our President. After all, too many people gave Bushy boy 8 years and they still wouldn't come to the realization he had done nothing but bad for our country.

To be fair...(as a democrat) I believe a significant proportion of our problems stem from the lousy Democrat leadership in the House and Senate. They are getting in the way of progress. Moreover, the democrats are experts at shooting themselves in the foot and they are the ones holding our President down.

I wish, I wish, I wish...for once, the democrats would pull together and get something done like so many republicans have done in the past.

Again, I say this even though I have worked with Nancy Pelosi, etc.

Yeah, no one criticized President Bush for 8 years.

...  roll

It is not about critisizing. it is about brainstorming:
        Should we be alarmed of the political direction
        or
        Are we sure, we are hedaing in right direction?

Having that analysis now would help people be aware of the challenges ahead and avoid implicit assumptions of "everything seems fine".

2. Eaglekiwi profile image76
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually Internationally they did, but no one was listening smile

Try am Obama nickname with the word "boy" in it and see how that goes over.

1. Joelle Burnette profile image71
        Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In terms of intelligence and maturity, I've always seen Bushy boy as sitting at "the kids' table" and having a difficult time keeping up, thus, the nickname.

There's no way to compare the two presidents based on Obama's intelligence, therefore, the only people who would add "boy" to our current president's name will be wearing a very tall, white and pointy hat.

Comparing the two men...hmm. It's like trying to compare Stephen Hawking's brain to that of a gnat. Or more appropriately, a mosquito...after all, Bush proved he could suck dry his host and leave an annoying rash.

Yeah! After all, Obama attended Harvard! And Bush...oh right...

...and Bush was just the Governor of a large state while Obama was...a...community organizer...and served part of a term as Senator...

You're right, how could you even compare the two?!

I'm just curious...have you ever actually listened to both of them speak? Bush can't produce a coherent sentence to save his life (does he know what "coherent" means?). I'll never understand how people like yourself can't believe that at man who taught constitutional law at the university level isn't more intelligent than a man who...did what? Run several businesses into the ground and then found god? Well, that makes it all better, doesn't it?

You don't become the editor of the Harvard Law Review (here's a link in case you don't know what that is: http://www.harvardlawreview.org/about.shtml) by being an idiot and having crappy grades when you're not getting pulled over for drunk driving...oh right, like Bushy boy who was a lousy student and only got into Yale by being a legacy. In case you don't understand what being a legacy means, I'll make it easy and fun for you...go watch the movie "Animal House."

Gosh no, I've never heard either of them speak. roll But, do you mean with or without the teleprompter?

And what is this 'harvard' you speak of? Some kind of sports team?

1. nicomp profile image61

I am completely baffled by Libs who insist how well BHO speaks. Every other word is "uh" and he pauses interminably at awkward moments. He seems unable to speak extemporaneously at press conferences, as was Bush.

I hope he was a little more dynamic in the courses he taught at the University of Chicago Law School.

Feel free to peruse the link you provided; there are about 80-90 editors of the Law Review at any given time. BHO was not "the" editor, he was "an" editor. He was "the" president of the Law Review, which is an elected position and not based on academics.

Like it or not, BHO has not released his SAT scores, LSAT scores, or academic records at Columbia or Harvard. You may choose to extrapolate from his position as "an" editor of the Law Review that he is uber-intelligent, but I'd appreciate a little more transparency around this issue.

Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion, but BHO admitted to using cocaine and pot in his own book.

Again, don't let facts interfere with your viewpoints, but Bush was an average student, as indicated by his "C" level GPA. I can guarantee you that the tenured professors at Yale couldn't have cared less who his Daddy might have been. He may have been admitted as a legacy, but that doesn't carry any weight in the classroom of a self-respecting teacher.

The humorous part of this thread is how Libs insist on comparing BHO with Bush. So what? You hated Bush; why do you set your sights so low?

"nyah nyah, he's better than Bush"

What else you got?

3. rastrother profile image39
              rastrotherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah but like i've said before. can osama i mean obama dodge a sneaker like bush?

Interesting comments, but I have a difficult time following your logic since Obama refuses to release his college transcripts and he consistently calibrates his words improperly when he strays from the teleprompter. Both men attended Ivy League schools as undergrads and as graduate students, so that's a wash. Bush attended flight school and qualified to pilot the F-102A Delta Dagger; not the most modern jet in the fleet, but probably not a ride granted to any ol' mosquito.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
            Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, there was a problem finding Bush's military records so we don't really know how good a pilot he was.

10. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I think he's doing the best job he can and I do think he was the best candidate for the job. That said, has he fixed everything yet? No, the country is in decline, serious decline, and he's one guy. This has been coming on for at least 25 years and no good solution is on the horizon.

We can't be a country that primarily moves money around as our main industry and export--and not even good money either, but securitized debt. That's crazy, but that's where we're at, and where are the new jobs going to come from?

Everyone acts like someone (Obama, Wall Street, whatever) will wave a magic wand and people will get out there and spend again. Spend what?

We're accustomed to V-shaped recessions, or at worst, U-shaped recessions.

This will be an L-shaped recession.

At some point we'll bottom out and stay there for a long, long time.

you are so very right. Anyone who thinks the economy is going to be fixed in a month, or even a few months to years, is (I'm not so sorry to say) a schmuck! People have a short memory that our economy was railed straight down into hell by the previous administration with little regard for the people they would hurt -- namely, any Americans who didn't have government contract ties to Bush and his greedy buddies.

Now, just to be fair to our village idiot Bushy boy (nothin' like his dad whom I respect), it was the Clinton administration who took away some of those trade and other restrictions that left the door wide open for Bush to finally stick it to the rest of us for the sake of keeping his friends rich and sucking off the government tit.

Moreover, why would you think anyone can or should get a free ride without sacrifices (taxes) while the economy tanks. The money has to come from somewhere. After all, how much per day did Bushy boy spend in Iraq? Million, trillion, what's the difference after they close schools in our district and cut back or close hospitals, etc. Hasn't something been closed in your area because the money was going to Iraq? Not the soldiers, mind you, the contractors.

Ok, so how long do you give him? I have noticed the conspicuous silence from Obama supporters every time I ask such a question.

2. tksensei profile image60

How do you know that?

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Psychic I guess.

On a more serious note, explain where the jobs are coming from--the ones that will put people back to work so they can spend, spend, spend and prop up the 'consumer economy'--and I'll take back the prediction.

Otherwise, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. smile

The same places they generally come from, unless the current government succeeds in taking us in a direction where such jobs are discouraged.

1. profile image0
            pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What places would those be? The auto industry? The industries that depend on the auto industry? Retail? Housing?

Maybe you should stick to analyzing dog chow.

11. cherrymeekins profile image58
    cherrymeekinsposted 14 years ago

I think its still too early to really say... I am very proud of him just making it this far, but at this point there is still a whole lot to be done. I think he has taken sum major baby steps at paving the road to a better economy and so forth,but its a long way coming for things to be A1..or will it ever be???

12. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I already figured this discussion would be made the moment he was elected...so I told you so ppl.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

And my daddy, and my daddy, and my daddy... smarter then yours!!!! lol

14. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

OK I think all of us would benefit from looking at the hard facts this guy Political Math as he is called has over 1oo,ooo views on some of his videos and has been asked by congress to speak at the capitol about the budget but has been barred because it is not popular to hear that the Obama plan is spending at a rate 4x as much as Bush had and he has out spent nearly all of our presidents combined to date. I don't post links often or lightly to forums but this guy has been personally recommended to me from 4 of my close friends over the past two  weeks and I have seen alot of great logic in his thoughtful process of our current budget. I encourage you to check his videos out and simply listen to the money as he explains the  truth dollar for dollar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFV5Tx4LxBM

15. rastrother profile image39
    rastrotherposted 14 years ago

dang it i only said that to get a rise out of people and even that didnt work ;(

16. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I don't have time to teach you basic economics. Good luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)