Why did I get a "We've reviewed your article" email?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years ago

A couple of days ago I get an email from HubPages saying my hub had been reviewed and it was fine. This hub was moved to a niche site 2 weeks earlier. Why was it reviewed again. Are hubs chosen for review at random. I think this is the first time I got this kind of email.

1. eugbug profile image97
      eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This has been happening over the last week or so. It seems hubs on niche sites are being reassessed to make sure they are still up to standard. Was your hub snipped before you received the email?

CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, not snipped. It was only moved two weeks ago.  I don't recall if it was snipped or edited them. I'm not sure, but I might have made a minor edit--correcting a type--after it was selected. Maybe that triggered the review. No and then I will see some small thing in a hub that needs to be fixed and I will change it. Nothing that would disqualify it from a niche site.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image91
      Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I know they have been going through all HealDove articles. I have gotten several emails about them. I also recently got one about a DenGarden article. It did have its one and only (highly relevant and personally recommended) Amazon capsule snipped.

1. eugbug profile image97
        eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Adding a link seems to trigger an instant review. I added an Amazon capsule to a hub on Turbofuture. The next day, two of the existing Amazon capsules were snipped but the new one was left in place. The removed ads were for cleaning products and relevant but even though I didn't have experience of the specific brand of products, I had explained their function in the text. 300 words per capsule is recommended in the help FAQ.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image91

This link had been on the article since I wrote it in 2012. It has weathered other edits intact, and I did mention my personal use of it in the article. It did get an occasional sale too. Oh well, such is life, what ya do?

2. bravewarrior profile image86
        bravewarriorposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That happened to me too, Sherry. They snipped the Amazon link to the product I wrote a personal review about. Please tell me how the specific product you review/recommend isn't relevant!

I thik HP is snip-happy. Better safe than sorry might to the operative motto. If the product is highly relevant to the topic of the hub and if your info in the description part of the capsule adds new information in addition to what you have already said about it and to what the reader could find on amazon, you should ask HP to review the snip.

1. bravewarrior profile image86

Good idea, Catherine. Thanks!

2. CYong74 profile image95
    CYong74posted 6 years ago

I had this happened to me twice of late. But both times, it was because I did some extensive editing. Both were niche sites too.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

Those emails are a little odd. I doubt if HP have the resources to review every niche site page so it might be about encouraging writers to update and review their own work. No bad thing. Or it might be that they are sampling the niches to assay the quality levels.

I have a feeling it is mainly a little prod to keep writers on their toes.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

There was a mention on the forums somewhere, letting us know that the editors were working through the niche sites which were affected by Fred.

The editors are giving us a chance to check our articles ourselves to ensure quality - if we don't, then the editors will make the changes they feel necessary.

5. Titia profile image93
    Titiaposted 6 years ago

Whenever you edit a niche hub they will review it again no matter if it's only one letter you've changed.
    I used the website 'write better headlines' when a link was given by TT2 (she got it from someone on the staff) to see if I could improve my titles (which of course I could).
    I used it on 'How to take care of lambs' which title only got a low score of 49. So after trying different lines the best one was:
    'How to take care of rejected lambs the best way', it scored 83
    Common 20%
    Uncommom 10%
    Emotional 20%
    Power 30%. 

I got an email that my hub had been reviewed and an email that it had been edited into
    'The best way to take care of a rejected lamb' which title I already had tried and it scored 77
    Common 40%
    Uncommom 10%
    Emotional 0%
    Power 30%

My first action was to change that title back to the one with 83 score, but then I changed it back again because I was scared they would remove my hub from the Pethelpful site. Immediately I got another email saying that my hub had been reviewed and found suitable for the niche site.
    I replied to the HP email to explain why I had chosen that first title, but no answer so far. So now I don't know what to do. Let it be with a 77 score title or change it to the 83 score title. What would you do?

1. Jesse Drzal profile image93
      Jesse Drzalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I would let them present the Hub however they please on any niche site.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image91

The two titles are so similar, and I actually do like their's better, just for the way it sounds. However, I believe we are free to reject edits as long as it doesn't cause the hub to violate any rule. They have warned us that putting back "spammy elements" can get our hub disqualified, but that does not apply in this case.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78

Thanks for the tip about "Write Better Headlines".  I will give it a try with my next new hub or when I review/update older hus before submitting for a niche site.

3. bravewarrior profile image86

The small change HP made to your title, titia, makes more sense grammatically. It reads smoother than your initial choice. I'd stay with it.

6. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 6 years ago

Hello!  Thanks for this post, Catherine.  As you know, our editors are the editor and curator for certain Network Sites.  Their job includes, curating for the site (choosing new, submitted, and articles that are on HubPages to be moved to their site), editing articles on their site (this could be snipping, Basic edits, or Premium Edits), running social media campaigns for their site(s), and maintaining the quality of their site. 

We have recently started looking at articles that already live on Network Sites to make sure that they still meet our standards and haven't been edited by the author in a way that lowered their quality.  We will be looking at all articles on Network Sites again and will continue to review them.  When we look at an article, we send an email letting the author know that we have reviewed it and it meets our quality guidelines.  We are still working out the best way to communicate this new aspect of the process and don't want to inundate authors with HubPages emails, but we thought we should let authors know what we are doing! 

Please feel free to let me know if we can improve this process.  We want to make it work for everyone! 

@titia- It's really important that titles sound conversational. Feel free to use the write better headlines tool, but only if the title make sense and is conversational.  We have heard this straight from Google.  smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this clarification, Robin.  I was trying to explain to another Hubber that this manual review process is a new thing, so it's good to have that confirmed.   Also thanks for letting us know it will be an ongoing process.

Thanks for the explanation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)