Why is Trump doing worse than predecessors on Job front?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (22 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image85
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

The five month jobs report is out and Donald Trump saw a gain of 863,000.  Impressive yes?  Not so fast.

Clinton 1st term - 948,000
    Clinton 2nd term - 1,400,000
    Bush 1st term - Lost 400,000 going into recession
    Bush 2nd term - 1,200,000
    Obama 1st term - Lost millions due to the Great 2008 Recession, turned around Jan 2010
    Obama 2nd term - 1,000,000
    Feb - Jun 2016 - 955,000

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not sure I'm following this - you're comparing a 5 month gain of 863,000 to a four year gain of 948,000 and implying it is much worse.  How does that work?

Or comparing a gain of 863,000 during a period of nearly record low unemployment to a gain of 1,000,000 during a period of extremely high unemployment while the economy recovered.  Again, how does that work?

This looks like playing with numbers, giving only a part of the whole story, to prove a non-existent point.

My Esotericposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I figured every one would understand that the time period is the same, save for the last comparison.
        But to be clear, each period is 5 months in length, Feb to Jun at the beginning of each term, save for the last comparison.  That period is as described.

As to the high unemployment, that is why I included the other data.

2. My Esoteric profile image85

BTW, I thought your side has been trumpeting for 8 years that unemployment is HUGE and 93 million are still jobless (Trump - 8/2015, 2/2017).

So which is it?  93 million jobless or "nearly record low unemployment ".

Can it not be both?  Given how "unemployment" is defined, I don't see why not.

Somehow I don't think so.  It can't be day and night at the same time.  It makes no sense to say unemployment is low to make one point, and unemployment is high to make another at the same time. 

However, you can pick one definition, whether it be the official definition or the Trump definition and then trying make a point using just one of them.  But two different baselines will fail every time.

Sounds like we're saying the same thing.  Using the same term (unemployment) for two very different things will result in nothing but worthless spin every time.  As I'm sure you know all too well, statistics and numbers can be used to prove anything at all...as long as one never understands or investigates what the number refers to.

Agreed, since I do understand statistics very well, I am able to discern when they are being used correctly and when they aren't.  In this case, those who say asserting unemployment to be high and low in the same breath base that on the faulty assumption that participation rate (what Trump is saying is huge) and the official unemployment rate are independent of one another.

The fact is they are not.  For Trump's number to be true then, because there is a loose mathematical link, then official unemployment must be huge as well.  Since unemployment is not huge, but very low, that implies what Trump says is wrong, which it is as has been proven elsewhere.

Therefore "Can it not be both?" you ask.  The answer is no.

I was referring to "unemployment" being the number of people listed on unemployment roles as actively looking for work and drawing unemployment insurance (typical govt. figure) vs the number of people of working age, health, ect. that are not working (figure produced by those wishing to show it is high).  Thus, depending on which is being referred to, it can be either high or low.  Or, if the "topic" is the two different definitions rather than an actual number of unemployed it can be both, showing the disparity between the two definitions.

There is a loose correlation between the two, but in recent years it has widened and loosened considerably as entitlements increasingly provide for needs without requiring work.  And for a while (not so much this year) we had thousands (millions?) that had been taken off the roles (insurance ran out) but were still looking for work.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Other than jobs funded by tax payer dollars can anyone tell me how a president can create jobs? Other than creating a job friendly environment? And, if this is the manner in which a president can affect job creation in America can they do it within the first half year of gaining office? I would think anything within the first year would be indicative of the previous administrations efforts on that front, not the current administration.

2. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

IDK if you believe Reuters but:
    The Trump economy in seven charts - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-e … SKBN19S2RG

seems too early to tell

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Has he enacted any significant legislation yet?

1. ptosis profile image68
        ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Spends 20% of his time golfing. hmm

Don't you really mean he spent 20% of his time on trips which included a couple of hours on the links?  I really don't believe Trump has averaged 5 hours per day swinging a golf club.

1. ptosis profile image68
            ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oh excuse me, I meant 20 per cent of his time as President at one of his golf clubs. Not actually golfing.

Today POTUS went golfing for the 20th time of his presidency. He has literally been on the golf course for 1/5th of his presidency. https://t.co/HJX5P7c5TA

— Jason Kander (@JasonKander) April 30, 2017

but I'm s-u-r-e that he was doing "Presidential Stuff" the whole time, thinking up policies and MAGA.

Baloney.  He has not possibly spent an average of 5 hours per day on the links.  Perhaps in the same town, perhaps in a motel owned by the golf course, but NOT "on the golf course".

2. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

And the remainder of his time attacking key Western institutions like the judiciary, science, the social safety net, and the free press.

He should golf more.

We don't have a social safety net, just a vast system of unearned (and often unneeded) entitlements.  The judiciary is badly broken, as shown by the latest SCOTUS decision and deserved a several slap on the wrist (or dismissal from the bench).  The "science" you refer to is unproven and very badly affected by $$ and the free press is as free as it ever was.

Try again?

3. AshtonFirefly profile image71
    AshtonFireflyposted 6 years ago

To be fair, it's been six months. And it's a gain, so I'm not entirely sure why there's a complaint. I mean I think the guy's a sleezeball but this seems a little weird. Also, the economy is influenced by waaaay more factors than what, I feel ,he's had time to affect.

Outside of a possible reaction by employers to the election of one they think will promote business interests, there is nothing Trump has done that can possibly have affected the employment figures.  Not yet.

But desperation drives some to find "reasons" to show Trump is ineffective if they can't show simple wrong.  So we hear things like this.

Wrongo.  The reason for this post is Trump's insistence that he has done the best job of any President in history (to use his hyperbole) in creating jobs.  This clearly shows he is fabricating a fake reality.

It can only be your reality if you choose to accept it.  And if you do so, knowing he hasn't had time to do much of anything, you deserve to live in a fantasy.

And it can only be your reality to think that he is failing because there hasn't been a massive job creation yet if you choose to accept that.  And if you do, you deserve to live in a fantasy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)