Word Count Missing?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (18 posts)
  1. heidithorne profile image92
    heidithorneposted 6 years ago

I love the new cleaner hub creation interface! But I noticed that the Word Count is missing (or maybe I just don't know where to look for it). That was a helpful feature. Is that coming back?

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Do you refer to the Total word count that shows up when you are building a hub? It used to be in the right-side of the hub when creating a hub or editing it just below the other measuring points that let you know which stage you have achieved or crossed till that moment like images, videos, polls, and tables, etc.
      I have not gone to the edit mode or created a new hub in the recent period. Is it not visible there now?

heidithorneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Venkatachari M! I hadn't posted in the past couple of weeks either and just noticed it was missing this morning. Hope it comes back. Have a great day!

2. Marketing Merit profile image93
      Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I can't see it there either and agree that it was extremely beneficial, especially as a checklist before submitting a hub.

Hello Marketing Merit! Glad I'm not alone. Thanks for chiming in!

3. Au fait profile image84
      Au faitposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Go to the edit version of any of your hubs.  In the upper right side you will, or should see a some boxes under "Need some Goals?" 

The box on top is a long rectangle with large numbers (word count) on the left and small numbers (image count) on the right.

In the small box under the long top box, either the word count or the image count should show in it depending on where you move your curser. 

When you move your curser over the numbers in the first rectangular box on the right, the image numbers will show in the small bottom box.  When you move your curser over the larger numbers in the upper rectangular box, the word count should show in the small bottom box.

If you don't have the boxes I describe I don't know what to tell you.  They are on all of my hubs.  I hope this will help you.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13636008_f248.jpg

1. Marketing Merit profile image93
        Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's there for old hubs, but not if you start a brand new one.

1. Au fait profile image84
          Au faitposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Haven't done that for a while, so I didn't know.  Thanks for cluing me in. smile  I hope they get it back for the new articles because word count is an important issue here.

Hi Au fait! Totally agree that this feature is an important one to get back on the new interface. We'll keep our fingers crossed and hope the HP folks are reading this forum. Thanks for chiming in and have a great rest of the weekend!

4. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The word count should show up directly below the Need Some Goals section in the upper left. Are you not seeing it there? You must be using the HubTool on a desktop or laptop computer for it to show up. The mobile version of the HubTool does not include it.

Thanks for checking in, Christy! The attached will show what's happening on a desktop.
        https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13637727_f1024.jpg

Thanks for listening! Hope it comes back.

1. ezhang profile image81
          ezhangposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi heidithorne! Rest assured that the word count hasn't been removed. The reason you're not seeing it is because the counter doesn't show on a brand new article. It should make its appearance once you've added enough text to the article (you may need to refresh the page to see it). smile

Thanks, ezhang, for jumping in!

I did not see the Word Count appear at any point while I was publishing my last 2 hubs (which were 800+ words each) using the new Hub Tool interface. But the count appears now a day after they were published in what appears to be the old Hub Tool Screen. I created those last two hubs in the new hub tool interface which is where the problem occurs.

I'm attaching another screen shot of the Hub Tool for the test article I uploaded to the discussion earlier. Notice how it went back to the old Hub Tool when I went back to edit. Hmm...

I'm guessing you folks are working on the new Hub Tool interface (which is much cleaner looking).

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13637864_f1024.jpg

1. Venkatachari M profile image83

Heidi Thorne, I also witnessed this problem now while creating the new Hub. It was not visible at first.

I also tried to write about this Missing Word Count issue as a topic. Constructed the Title, First Paragraph with one photo capsule and tried to find out that missing count. Then I changed my screen resolution also. But it didn't appear.

But, when I logged again to this draft from my statistics page it showed up just like your above image. So, may be you need to log out and log again for it to show up the word count also. This is what I experienced right now. The word count is 102 words as I constructed only a small paragraph to test it.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83

E Zhang, It need not be of many words. Mine showed up with only 102 words and one image only. So, only you need to log out and log in or refresh your page whatever it may be. I logged out and logged in through the statistics page.

Hi Venkatachari!

I also experienced that same situation. I just entered almost 1,300 words in the new hub interface and it still was showing nothing. But then when I saved it as unpublished, and went back in to edit it, the word count showed up. That's a good enough workaround until the new hub interface is in full operation. Thanks for sharing in the conversation and have a great day!

2. Terrielynn1 profile image84
    Terrielynn1posted 6 years ago

hi. my word count in the new aricle set up didn't show until is was passed 800 words. maybe your's is the same. I really like the new settings.

Thanks for joining the conversation, Terrielynn! I'll have to check out that 800 word issue. I did see in some work-in-progress hubs that it was tracking lower counts after saving unpublished and then reopening again to edit. I like the new settings, too! So much cleaner and easy to manage. Have a great day!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)