QAP Duration Extended

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
    Christy Kirwanposted 6 years ago

Hi All,

Today I'm afraid I must be the bearer of some minor bad news. We are tightening up our moderation checks on new articles in order to do a better job of ensuring no spam slips through and becomes featured (which is great for both HubPages and Network Sites). However, it means that as of today, we're extending the potential pending time for new articles from 24 hours to 48 hours. This does not mean every new article will take 48 hours to be processed, it just means it may take that long once in a while when we get a high volume of submissions. We know the wait can be frustrating, but we believe the overall benefit to the site will be worth it. Thanks for your patience, and for keeping up the great writing!

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Fully understand your take on new articles and the need for increased quality - an ongoing quest! For us all! Thanks for the news. Onward and upward.

2. sallybea profile image97
      sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No problem, thanks for letting us know Christy.

3. faith-hope-love profile image71
      faith-hope-loveposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Works for me.  God Bless.  Keep up the Good Work.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't see a problem with this as long as moderators don't confuse "spam" with items that are necessary to make articles more beneficial for readers.

Also, although I think this is a great idea, I have concerns about two things:

1/  Older articles that have never been edited and therefore do not go through QAP but are still visible to search engines and

2.  articles that pass QAP even though they have very obvious issues. 

Recently I've seen posts about the second item and find myself wondering how those with problems are passing.   Can't tell you which ones they are or how many, but do know they are out there as forum posters have made complaints about them within the last month or so.

As long as hubs that are not up to current standards remain on the site or get onto the niche sites, it's going to continue to hurt all of us here.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Regarding the first point you brought up, you don't have to worry about the articles that have not gone through QAP, because it's been a long time since the QAP process is being used and hubs that were not getting enough search traffic were not featured anymore. So if there are hubs which Google sees as problematic, they do not get traffic and are therefore not being indexed anymore.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92
        Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

We intend to use the new process to more consistently enforce our existing rules, not to enforce more strict rules.

5. EricDockett profile image97
      EricDockettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have no issue with this, as long as, like TT2 said, editors and moderators aren't going overboard with what they are calling "spam".

Is there also a backlog for niche site submission reviews? I noticed some sites are moving along fine, where others seem to have slowed considerably. Exemplore and Owlcation are two that seem to have slowed.

Owlcation seemed to always take longer than the other imo.

6. rosevillaruz profile image73
      rosevillaruzposted 6 years agoin reply to this

hi christy, does this 48hrs pending time still allow us to share our stories on other sites even if the duration to wait is not up yet? in the past, though not yet featured we were allowed to share our pending articles on fb, twitter, pinterest, etc.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I hope there is no change in that facility which we have been enjoying till now as per the wording of the announcement.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Yes, you can still share on social media because the hub is still live on the website, it is just not featured (google cannot see it yet, people can).

7. CharlesN2C517 profile image63
      CharlesN2C517posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. It's good to wait.

8. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 6 years agoin reply to this

To extend the QAP time is a very wise decision and I support it. Thank you, Christy.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 6 years ago

No problem. I actually prefer it because one of the ways in which I figure out the kind of response my article will have is how many people from my various social networking sites read it. Then I tweak!  smile

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

Cool beans. Carry on!

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Anything passing QAP should immediately go to the appropriate network site. That way, it will not be subjected to any hubpages.com domain name association. I'm pretty sure I don't have to explain my reasoning behind this. Or is HP already doing that? I hope so.

Passing the QAP does not necessarily mean that an article is suitable for one of our sites. The QAP is a bare minimum to be published by HubPages, while making it to a Network Site requires meeting additional criteria.

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Yeah, Christy, this is a good suggestion right here. How about setting articles with a QAP of 8 and above (I think this is the stellar number?) to go into another queue for the niche sites and not get published on the HP domain? I'm sure people won't mind waiting the extra time if this is possible?

We do look at all new articles that become featured for inclusion on sites, though not all are chosen. We want to get to a point where we have the resources to edit all the articles that are not accepted immediately, but that's still in the far future. We see no indication that articles that stay on HubPages longer do worse than ones chosen within 24 hours of being published.

That is exactly what I was wondering: If the articles that stay longer do worse. But since you say they don't then all's good smile Thanks for the quick response.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I was always wondering about that too. I wouldn't mind waiting for new hubs to go straight to niche sites. But you put my mind a ease Christy. Thanks for that explanation. And as for the extended wait time to pass QAP, I don't mind. It's serves a good purpose.

6. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 6 years ago

Thanks for all your great work behind the scene guys. We all appreciate it! smile

7. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 years ago

I welcome this amendment to QAP. Even though I am sure it'll not slow the publishing time.  For most of my present articles it took only 4 hours time to get published when the publishing time was regarded as 24 hours.

8. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

Anything to help filter spam out is fine by me. There's also a ton of content to go through so I understand how challenging it can be.

9. therealplanet profile image59
    therealplanetposted 6 years ago

I think it's a great idea. If my article becomes featured then I know it's good enough. The overall quality of articles will be better, and also rank higher on search engines by tightening moderation.

Thank you for making HubPages a better place!

10. paolaenergya profile image92
    paolaenergyaposted 6 years ago

It makes sense to focus on the quality of the articles - therefore waiting longer is totally fine. Thank you for this update.

11. Coffeequeeen profile image83
    Coffeequeeenposted 6 years ago

Well that's totally understandable, and I don't mind having to wait 48 hours.  I can understand that a lot of hubs are submitted each day and need to be checked.

12. cmoneyspinner1tf profile image82
    cmoneyspinner1tfposted 6 years ago

I don't disapprove of any changes HUPages has ever made.  The changes are usually always for the better.  That being said …

New articles?  OR New writers?  Picked up on a thread elsewhere and it seems old loyal writers are getting eMails about their HUBs which have been around for a while not being up to standard.  Is this a fluke?  Seems to me if you have that tool where a HUB is not even featured, there's no need to upset loyal writers who have been with this site for years.  The fact that they been here for years and published HUBs and stayed active should count for something more than a SPAM Slap in the face.  That's how they interpret the eMails.  I'm just saying.  Quality is key.  But so is loyalty.

I have no complaints.  I just thought I should mention it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)