Rules for Creating a Hub with Amazon Capsules

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 6 years ago

Hi all,
    I'm creating a hub around christmas gift ideas for a specific niche, based on my own knowledge of the products.

Can anyone point me to the rules regarding amazon/text ratios and any other info I need to know please?

Thank you smile

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I just finished an article like this that was featured and then moved to a niche site within a day or so, so what I did must have worked!

First, I made sure that I had at least 300 words of text in the overall article for each item I posted.
      I did a mix of in line text ads and capsule ads...I think there were three of each.
      I included a few videos that showed how to use the products.
      I made it a point to state my personal experiences with each and explained why I chose those over similar products.
      I placed the ads very close or within the text of the products I was discussing and did the same with the videos.
      I think adding the videos may have helped because they were instructional and showed how the products actually worked.

Susana Sposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Excellent advice thank you smile

Is there any reason to use a mix of text ads alongside the standard amazon capsules?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The moderators do seem over-anxious about Amazon products and it's absolutely essential to give a personal recommendation (using "I", "my" or "mine") for each one. Even then, you may find some get snipped.  However, if they are in-text links instead of capsules, they are more likely to be approved.

Ok noted!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Yes.  Doing this makes the hub look less spammy and also makes it more likely to be moved to a niche site.  Also, I never do this for the same product.  One for capsule ads, one for text ads, etc...and I keep them to a minimum. Makes the page look a lot cleaner, too.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Take a look at my Hub on the Basic Rules, that sets it out in detail. 

The ratio is pretty much irrelevant, because it's highly unlikely you'll be able to find enough Amazon products that meet the other criteria.

Great, thanks Marisa!

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

You could skim a few already sanctioned gift idea pages: https://holidappy.com/gift-ideas/

Thanks Will. I've been trying to find a selection to analyse and this is ideal.

4. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 6 years ago

It upsets me to read this, and I do admit that I'm odd. smile

I would never, never, never take the opinion of what someone had to say about a product. Why? Too much chance a) they're wrong b) they're brainwashed e.g. Apple c) they've got an agenda, e.g. earning a commission.

When I want to buy something, I want to see the specs. I want to see exactly what the product is made of, how it was made, what the techical information is, what the projected life span of the product is. I also want that in writing.

I don't buy anything without something meeting those specifications.

I understand that most people seem to want to know what other people think of a product and they're not in the least interested in what the specs are.

I guess it just goes against the grain for me.

Like going into a dress shop and the associate tells you how nice the dress looks and that everybody else is buying it. This, apparently, is what makes other people buy the dress. I, on the other hand, look at the textile, check the stitching, the seams and hems, the cut, etc. I am also perfectly capable of seeing whether it suits me or not, and I really don't care much at all whether nobody or everybody bought it.

The moment an associate tells me that everybody else buys a product, I drop the product and walk out. Not because of the product but because I don't want to deal with someone who is so smallminded.

And, yes, I'm odd. I grew up in a culture where it was not considered ethical to infuence others.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

You are probably smart to make purchases this way, but in this day of digital technology, many people prefer to buy online.  If they don't like the product for some reason, they can always return it and get their money back.  It's a matter of individual choice AND time limitations.  Few people these days have time to go shopping in brick and mortar stores and for many reasons don't even want to do so.

Also, as in my case, credibility is important.  People who read my work generally know that I have expertise in my niche, so they trust me.  The items I advertise are often those that are hard for people to find because they are very specific to my niche, so by showing them where they can get them, I perform a service.  At least that's how they must view it because they buy!

You have the choice to run Amazon ads or not.  Feeling the way you do, I assume you choose not to do so.  Again, that is an individual choice.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

I hear what you are saying - but I think you are talking about buying in a bricks and mortar store. For people buying online, the specs are not enough. 

When I buy online, I do look at all the available factual information about a product, but I'm always conscious those facts are supplied by the manufacturer or supplier. I'm aware they are trying to sell me something, so I am always a little sceptical - in exactly the same way you are sceptical of the shop assistant.  Buying online, I can't scrutinise the product to make my own final judgment - so that is why I look for extra feedback from other people, who have actually seen and used the product.

I do that by looking at reviews by others online.  I don't buy from Amazon but if I did, I wouldn't rely on their reviews, because I know those reviews are often planted by the supplier.  I go looking for people who appear knowledgeable on the subject, and see what they have to say about the product. If I were looking for RV accessories, for instance, I would be interested to read TT2's reviews.

Does that help explain things?

3. Susana S profile image92

Each to their own.

For me it comes down to understanding and helping the searcher.

A lot of people don't know exactly what they're looking for. They're often time poor and don't have the time to research and compare products thoroughly. Many also appreciate pages that provide recommendations based on personal experience.

5. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

Try to write about 500 words minimum per Amazon link/capsule.  Give a unique description if you do use a capsule.  Make sure the link/capsule is relevant to your article.  Do not make it promotional, rather instead make it like a review or how to type of article.

6. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 6 years ago

Yes and no. Specs are supplied by Amazon. Clothing has a tag which tells what the textile composition is. Computers tell you processing suze, etc.

Whether one sells online or offline, there are always interested parties who have a reason for giving a good review.

I found that out the hard way after reading numerous reviews, then finding the project was shitty. Eventually it came down to the fact that whenever a product can be sold through affiliate marketing, its 'reviews' are not trustworthy.

That said, if large numbers of people who have been verified as purchasers have said more or less the same thing, that counts for something. Interestingly, my comment (with link) saying that on one of my hubs was not considered suitable. Yet it really is about the only clear clue.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

The specs are not supplied by Amazon.   The specs are supplied TO Amazon by the supplier or manufacturer, and Amazon merely prints them.  I do not necessarily trust them.  Likewise there may be a size printed on the label, but it means nothing because sizing is not set by law.  The textile composition may be stated on the label, but it doesn't tell you the quality of the material.

I agree there are always interested parties who have a reason to give a good review, but that's why I always seek out the negative reviews as well as the positive ones.  As you say, sometimes you get fooled, and the product is no good anyway.  But what do you suggest people do?  Don't even look at the reviews, and just trust the supplier?   I take all reviews with a pinch of salt, but I think looking at them is better than taking the supplier on trust.

Your comment about verified purchasers wasn't considered suitable because HubPages' rules require you to express your review in personal terms.  You may not think that makes sense, (and neither do I), but it is a rule of the site so it has to be obeyed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)