Iterating on Expert Reviews

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback on Expert Reviews.  Our strategy is to satisfy Google and readers.  Expert reviews are a tactic to help add credibility and improve our E-A-T (Expertise, Authority and Trust).

Based on author feedback, a review with AJ Kohn (SEO we hired), and what we have seen from the reviewers, we are making the following iterations as well as keeping a few bits from the original feature.  Please note, we aren’t done with this feature and plan on making additional changes as we iterate.  Here are some of the highlights and clarifications.

[*]Author communication.  Before a review is added, an email will be sent to the author communicating the review.
    [*]If an author has concerns about the Expert Review, they are invited to discuss it with the Premium Editor.
    [*]We won’t accept a negative review, instead, the premium editor will address concerns, facts, balance the article until it achieves a positive review (we may need to collect multiple reviews until we achieve the goal).  In our tests, we found that articles can be improved based on the reviews, so we are going to achieve a really strong article before a review is posted. 
    [*]The placement at the top of the Expert Review is undergoing design changes to avoid confusion with authorship, but we will still highlight the review.
    [*]We are going to add a link to the best page highlighting the expertise of the Expert Reviewer as part of the review.  We are doing this to help with SEO by associating the page with the entity in non-competitive query classes. 
    [*]We are adding them only to YMYL pages (for now).

Our community was at it's best for this test.  Lots of great feedback and questions—we read it all multiple times.  There are some really great suggestions like adding the author response that we want to see if we need with the changes to the process.  If we do, we will add them later.  We are undecided about changing what it is called.  We really liked the "Expert Response" however, there are some schema issues we are still sorting before deciding. 

A few other things we learned.  This process has the ability to improve our fact-checking, add balance to articles, identify supporting resources and generally help with a stronger article.  Second, the association with experts has the ability to strengthen our brand.  In very limited tests, experts shared their reviews which is incredibly powerful.  This has a profound potential for us as a community.

The goal is E-A-T, but we also want to drive more traffic to authors.  Anecdotally, the feedback has been that this does add trust to the article. In our second test, we will measure if the article ranks for expanded keywords over time and if it impacts traffic positively.  The plan is to add these reviews to about ten articles with these processes over the next few months.

1. Jessie L Watson profile image65
      Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm thrilled about this, TBH. Thanks for the due diligence.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like a much better plan.  Hopefully it will work as it is supposed to!

3. Venkatachari M profile image82
      Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Really, very interesting update. I welcome this and thank you, Paul, for bringing it up.

4. MariaMontgomery profile image90
      MariaMontgomeryposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I, along with several others shown below, want to know what YMYL is. Please educate us.

Thank you.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Maria, if you switch your view of the forums to Chronological (the button in the top right hand corner), you'll see the posts in their correct order and you'll see that the question has already been answered thoroughly.

1. MariaMontgomery profile image90

Thank you.

2. MariaMontgomery profile image90

I do not see any place to make that change. The word "chronological" appears nowhere on my screen. I do see the post you? shared that suggests YMYL is about health, finances, etc., but still no explanation of the words for which the acronym "YMYL" stands. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

There's a button in the top right hand corner when you're reading a thread (it disappears if you hit "reply").

2. Venkatachari M profile image82

Maria, just above at the top of this page on the righthand corner, below the menubar, there are two buttons. One is "threaded" and the other is "chronological". Those are the ones Marisa refers to.

And, YMYL stands for "Your Money Your Life" articles that deal with very important issues of your life like investments, insurance, health, etc. If anything goes wrong by following the tips provided in those articles, you can sue the author of that content for damages. So, the content provider should be very careful and expert while providing such articles.

1. MariaMontgomery profile image90

Thank you for the explanation of YMYL. There are no such buttons on my screen below the menu bar. Could it be because I am on a Mac? I have an old PC. I'll try it to see what is shown there. Thanks again.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
                Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm on a Mac and I see it. Look again. It's right above the "Unfollow" button.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

I though YMYL was not allowed on Hubpages?  We have had people in the help forums whose hubs were rejected for this reason.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

psycheskinner, YMYL has a very high standard in order to be accepted. If a hub does not represent Expertise, Authority and Trust (E-A-T) then it will be rejected.

3. EricFarmer8x profile image93
    EricFarmer8xposted 6 years ago

The changes sound interesting to me. I am curious to see what others think.

4. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 6 years ago

This sounds much better. Thank you for modifying the plan, Paul.

5. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

I saw the expert review as being rather a strange and alien add on in the first test. Someone said it was like a teacher handing down a judgement.

I hope you can find a way to make the review or response add value to the page rather being a mere stamp of approval. Maybe an interesting observation or two that gives a slightly different perspective. Or a civil disagreement on where to lay emphasis, whatever...

I like the idea of using the experts to refine the page and oblige it to reflect a balanced perspective.

Of course, what we really need is an example to look at.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

We will post an example when we have it ready.  The editorial part of the process is going, but the actual design in the page is still in progress.

6. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 6 years ago

Maybe a stupid question, but what is YMYL?

1. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Let me know when you find out please lol.

1. Jessie L Watson profile image65
        Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your money your life. I think....

2. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know what it meant either, lol! They say it's only stupid if you don't know and won't ask (whoever THEY are)!

3. Bedbugabscond profile image93
      Bedbugabscondposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If you want to learn more about the principles of YMYL or EAT, then a great place to look is at Google's Guidelines. There are four main guidelines that we all need to be familiar with if we want to understand how to rank well on Google's search engine. They can be found here: https://support.google.com/webmasters/a … 5769?hl=en

If you want to review the guidelines that explain a lot about what YMYL and EAT then see the general guidelines here: https://static.googleusercontent.com/me … elines.pdf

This is a long document, so use the CTRL+F function to look up the words, YMYL, EAT, Your money your life, and expertise authority trust. Or just read the whole thing. I hope this helps. These guidelines have really helped me improve traffic and earnings.

7. EricFarmer8x profile image93
    EricFarmer8xposted 6 years ago

It means your money your life. I had to look it up myself. So it is reasonable to be confused.

Thanks! I'm still confused. smile

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your money or your life (YMYL) topics are things like financial advice that could affect your bank balance or health advice (including dietary, mental health, relationship stuff etc) that could affect your well being.

2. EricFarmer8x profile image93
        EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

On Hubpages, YMYL would mean Hubs that deal with health and spending money. I imagine topics like mortgages, loans, budgeting, etc. I also imagine dieting, medical advice, etc.

Google takes this topic more seriously because of the impact they have on peoples lives. Like Paul was saying they expect more expertise and authority if one is to write on these subjects. You need to know what you are talking about.

The idea of expert reviews was to give our Hubs that authority by the authority of the expert reviewers. It seems now they are making it a process of taking the feedback and then editing the hub in a way that the expert reviewer likes it more. In a perfect scenario that would happen anyways. The idea being if the expert reviewer agrees with the changed Hub this would boost its authority.

I am going to assume their search engine expert knows his stuff and hopefully this new version will help everybody.  It should have our Hubs be ranked higher on search pages if everything goes well. Everybody wants that.

Oh thank you, that is so kind of you to go to all that trouble. I'm amazed, and I really appreciate the info!

1. EricFarmer8x profile image93
            EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have a lot free time atm so I have been doing some SEO research myself.

2. Venkatachari M profile image82

Many many thanks, Eric. I myself had to Google to find out the full form of YMYL. Then, I figured that it would something like this. But, now, I am fully cleared of my confusion regarding the exact context of that YMYL pages. Thanks a lot.

3. Titia profile image92
          Titiaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the carification and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know smile

8. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Paul said, "We won’t accept a negative review, instead, the premium editor will address concerns, facts, balance the article until it achieves a positive review."

This goes a LONG way to addressing my concerns, thank you.   However I can still see this being difficult to achieve if the article is communicating something innovative, and the chosen expert is is an old fuddy-duddy.

The question is, if the Hubber can present sufficient evidence to show that other experts support the article, will HubPages be willing to seek out another expert instead?

1. HoneyBB profile image93
      HoneyBBposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I had the same concerns Marissa. Mainly because many of my articles, I think, address new ways to interpret and solve old problems. Sometimes the old remedies don't work at all and after living through different circumstances and/or analyzing them thoroughly, I come up with processes I either tried and succeeded at or processes that I believe would have a more likelihood of success than the processes that have people going around in circles.

9. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

People have a very strange conception of what experts (in any academic discipline, at least) are about.

Whatever you think you know is likely to be shallow and outdated when you get a pro involved in the debate.

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 6 years agoin reply to this

One of the big problems as I see it, is that the "experts" are likely to be generalists, because that will be the cheaper option for HubPages. Generalists often don't have indepth OR up to date knowledge as a true topic expert would and are just regurgitating what they learned however many years (or decades) ago at college.

Take for example the article about the ketogenic diet which was on the list of those containing an expert review. The expert reviewer was a generalist dietician or nutritionist, not a ketogenic diet expert - who would be a true expert in the field and be able to offer a truly meaningful review. So it wasn't surprising that the expert review on the article was severely lacking.

What we're going to end up with, if HP are going to be editing content to get it inline with these generalist experts opinions, is a lot of very bland, uninspiring content that can be found anywhere on the web.

There's another reason to be concerned about the quality of the expert opinions - HubPages is using experts who are willing to give an opinion FREE.  Anyone who is a real expert in their field is unlikely to need the exposure enough to agree to that.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image93
          Bedbugabscondposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I disagree. I know experts who give free reviews to gain authority. Some of these experts do it to improve their online presence, others do it for pride, some do it to try to erase previous negative perceptions. I find professionals to be quite helpful in most cases once you have peaked their curiosity and if they understand the importance of a positive online web presence.

I think this really would be a niche by niche thing. Some niches would have a difficulty of finding an authoritative expert, where other niches might be easier to find.

10. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

Thanks for this detailed response, Paul. It shows that you appreciate our concerns and work very hard to see us as "partners" in making decisions that affect us all.

11. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 6 years ago

Great to see that all the comments were reviewed and read again. Next time maybe say this is happening...? smile

Expertise, Authority and Trust relates to the author ONLY i.e. the person who generates the content.

I think you're trying to make EAT about the site - and I can understand why - you hope to generate more traffic as a result.

Hence the notion that negative reviews will not be published and instead the Editor ( not the author) will revise the article until it can achieve a positive review.

However that goes fundamentally to the concept of "authorship" and challenges the concept of the notion of the writer as "independent expert/author" (i.e. the person with Expertise, Authority and Trust)

Your concept of how this works suggest that you are providing a site which has standards and criteria as to what it will accept - which is, if you like another layer of EAT.

HOWEVER your proposals as to how this works suggest to me (maybe others will agree also) that you are messing with copyright and independence and integrity of the author - and that is simply not on.

Put it another way
    * if the article has EAT that's because of because of the Author and the content
    * you can try having external "experts" make comments which lead to a non-expert Editor altering the content to refine your 'added layer' of EAT
    * however if you do that I confidently predict that some expert authors who are trusted by others will wonder why they aren't publishing their content on their own account and remove it and do just that.
    * which is what I call "a waste of your time"!

In other words - you can only refine content if authors agree to that
    You can suggest changes but you can't make changes - otherwise you risk losing content and authors.

It's their content and their copyright - and mess with the latter at your peril

Bottom line - you can't refine and add another layer of EAT (associated with the site not the author) if the original content has disappeared from the site!

That's like trying to wrap up thin air with nice paper and a big bow!

1. Venkatachari M profile image82

@makingamark sums it up perfectly. No content, no expertise!

12. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Are there any other sites doing this? Not necessarily content sites, but any site?

The novelty of the feature means it needs some kind of intro or framing as far as I am concerned.

As an alternative: forget the 'expert review' labeling and shift the weight to the author credits.

So, as an example:

A Very Interesting Article

by Jane Doe

with expert contributions from Bill Knowitall (Fellow of Cleverness), Mary Perfect (MSc, Dip Ex) and others

If you get my drift

Use an acknowledgements section to  credit and link to any expert who contributed, with a brief bio. Give an expert who had something useful to say a quote in a little box somewhere

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Exactly this.  My mainstream expert personna would be part of this because it is collegiate rather than critical.

'Collegiate'. That's a good word. And not a bad spirit to work in, either.

13. Jessie L Watson profile image65
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years ago
    1. Jean Bakula profile image91

What does it mean for someone like me, who writes metaphysical articles? I believe astrology because I've studied it for over 40 years and have proof that it describes a person to a "T". But not many have studied it as long and hard as I have, and think it's only where the Sun was on your Birthday. It takes me an hour or more to cast a chart, and at least 10-12 to interpret it. I do use a program for the charts now, but often find them wrong and have to redraw them myself to read them, because programs draw so many lines and add so much extra verbiage that has nothing to do with the person.

I also write about Paranormal subjects, being clairvoyant, or clairsentient, I have visions and odd feelings about people that come true. I can do a tarot reading and "feel" what the person is like and even know what their problems are and the best way to solve them. How can somebody be an expert on that?

1. Venkatachari M profile image82

True, Jean. There are some subjects which can never be linked with expert opinions. They are just factual as experienced and understood by a person. Very few people believe or try to believe such matters. Even if one believes, he will still be doubtful. And, nobody can establish it with any kind of argument or expert opinion. Astrology and Spirituality topics are such ones. You can't have expert opinions.

You are right, Mr. Venkatachari,
          Maybe I'll be saved by this reasoning, as spiritual and paranormal articles can't be scientifically proved. I have the proof I need to write and share my experiences, but that's all. I do have evidence people read my work though, and it helps them smile. That's worth more to me than money or an expert's opinion.

I do write about other topics though. I guess I'll wait and see like everyone else where those are involved. Thank you for replying.

I can't imagine that HP would decide that your work fell into the YMYL category. I reckon you should be safe.

For my own part, I would be much more willing to write YMYL stuff if I thought that any mistakes I made were going to be picked up by experts in the field.

I don't want to be responsible for someone suffering health or financial issues because I made a silly mistake.

You seem like a sensible and thoughtful person, I can't see you making too many "silly mistakes." Your articles are well researched. Don't be intimidated.

14. Milon Kariul profile image61
    Milon Kariulposted 6 years ago

Life is a easy things,after having been studied, you make it complex.

15. Specialkitty1 profile image57
    Specialkitty1posted 6 years ago

I do relate to the feeling.  Yet its the past that represents the way we write.

16. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image83
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 6 years ago

Will it not be like spamming the comment section?
    There is another problem with the comment section; where we cannot edit the comments of the visitors for poor grammar, spelling, capitalization etc. but retain them for their meaningfulness or other reasons.
    I think it is also a disadvantage created by some auto-correct in the court of Google.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

People own the copyright to their comments, if the language is too poor to post--deny the comment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)