Why are subjective accounts (first-person) frowned upon in the writing world? Ho

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. naturesencore profile image59
    naturesencoreposted 15 years ago

Why are subjective accounts (first-person) frowned upon in the writing world? How does one articulate a personal event in the (preferable) third-person context, without losing its intrinsic qualities?

2. alekhouse profile image72
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

Although editors like it, not all writers prefer using the third person. Many writers, myself included, are actually very comfortable using the first person. The choice of which person is more appropriate is dependent on what type of writing you're... read more

3. Barbara Yurkoski profile image60
    Barbara Yurkoskiposted 14 years ago

Do you mean fiction or non-fiction?

If non-fiction, the third person is more objective, which is what is normally desired - except for memoir.

If fiction, I think it's just an issue of fads.  First person will become popular, then readers (or editors) will tire of it and third person becomes the trend.  But outside of trends, there are reasons for choosing one or the other.  First person can give the reader a more intimate connection to the story, but generally limits the writer to one point of view.

4. cindyleedavis profile image59
    cindyleedavisposted 14 years ago

you can write in the third person by writing in the first person.
    then change the tense of the words. the ideas won't change,
    but when it is happening will. by setting yourself outside of what is happening, you can still see, hear, touch, taste, etc.

I have probably not answered your question specially enough,
    it is a hard question to answer but I did my best. i have written in both and find it difficult sometimes to make it from one to the other,
    but it does and it can.   Good question

5. profile image0
    CiscoPixieposted 14 years ago

The reason "the world" frowns down on first person is because they claim it is biased and just how you feel. Personally, i love writing in both first person and third person. So to articulate it into the third person, observe the scene/act/paragraph whatever as an outsider (hence the term third person). Write down how you would see it happen but without the emotional attachments.
    Hope this helps.

6. profile image57
    Rosa Bergerposted 14 years ago

Whether to choose the first or third person really depends on the editor of the journal or book.publisher. In academic/professional writing, the author is supposed to have an unbiased position. In order to make that clear to the reader, no first person is allowed.

For a long time, authors used "we" instead of "I." The "We" is also called the royal "we" and I personally find it quite derogatory, especially when I disagree with the author.

These days, people understand that academics have their own sets of biases and preconceptions due to personal and other experiences. And these experiences shape the topic, the way the informatio is arranged, etc. However, personal experiences should not shape the outcome or bias the argument in any way.

Some publisher now permit the use of "I" in limited circumstances to lay open personal experiences, biases, and preconceptions in order to enable the reader to assess the article or book.

Writing without "I" is not particularly difficult, once one gets used to reading scholarly material, writing without "I" becomes second nature.

7. cteshome profile image59
    cteshomeposted 14 years ago

I think you should consider what you want your reader to know and what you don't. Consider what you want to reveal to the reader, when, how and where. First person narratives are one point of view, though they can, depending on the story, be reliable or unreliable accounts. In terms of conveying emotion and its "intrinsic qualities" consider using an omniscient point of view if it will fit into your story.

I think you should consider the character of the character telling the story. Is this person honest or a liar? Are they under some sort of influence or not? Are they mentally sound? In psychological thrillers (The Machinist, The Secret Window, A Beautiful Mind, etc.) we see the story from a first person perspective. Though this perspective is skewed and unreal. The viewer does not realize the unreliable character of the story teller until the end. This is a valuable and effective tactic in expressing and taking the viewer/reader through the psychosis an individual endures.

I have been "experimenting" with a limited omniscient point of view story teller who is a major character. As the narrator, he can only tell the thoughts of one or more major or minor characters in addition to things the characters do not know. As a result of my plot, this works best for moving the story forward.

So, if you want to know which person to use, discover your story first, it's characters, the plot and what you would like to reveal.

8. rosariomontenegro profile image68
    rosariomontenegroposted 14 years ago

If you mean fiction, then you have another solution: write chapters with "I" being the point of view of different characters. Like the lover speaking in first person, the beloved in first person, the jealous secret enemy in first person, the best friend of the beloved in first person and so on and so forth.

You do that for alternating chapters and you have an interesting but rather classic novel. You do that for every paragraph without saying who is "I" and you get a hell of a  novel that maybe some survivor critic from the XXth century will applaud.

If you are a writer, please forget about what others say and just write. Write!

Sorry, I just reminded myself of the second person. Of course, if you are writing dogmatic or moral essays, then second person is quite appropriate. If you are a writer, my daughter, follow the advice of the sages, and conform yoursef to usage and the manners of the litterary world.

Good writing naturesencore!

9. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

You're confused or have not asked your question properly.
    When it comes to old school, hardcore journalism, news stories do not generally include a lot of first person references because they are supposed to be OBJECTIVE and factual.
    When reporters are determined to voice an opinion they use the phrase, "in this reporter's opinion" or something along those lines.
    Anywhere other than a hardcore straight news story you are permitted to insert your opinion.
    Mind you, when i write paid website reviews we are allowed to use first person--not that I do much--and yet when we write articles on subjects for other websites for the same company they reject anything that uses the word "I" because they do not want it to be too opinionated.
    So to sum up:  Objective news stories: FACTS
    Anything else: you have more freedom

10. profile image53
    Pastbardposted 14 years ago

When you step back from a picture that you have created and take an objective view- you have the opportunity to see more than just a paint brush perspective. Using " I " when describing an personal incident can limit your perspective. Try to see your own story through a stranger's observations. This is the view point of a reader which lends its' wisdom to the fact that writing a story about yourself as yourself is more like a journal which can take away from your interpretive capabilities. Do it both ways and see if you can tell the difference. Write a paragraph using bot tenses, then read them as objectively as you can. You will see more corrections and be a better critic in the third person.

11. SandyJ profile image58
    SandyJposted 13 years ago

It would not be possible to tell a personal story in third person without losing the personality of it. If you have a personal story that is entertaining, or informational, and is not derogatory toward another, I think it's fine to write in first person, if it's in situations such as this. On the other hand, personal stories don't belong in academic writing, but that does not mean you can't produce a professionally, entertaining or informational, grammatically correct, blog or hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)