I have a trial session to be a waitress on Friday. I have never waitressed befor

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. bcook profile image61
    bcookposted 14 years ago

I have a trial session to be a waitress on Friday. I have never waitressed before. I need all advice

Any information from what to do with tips to offering advice on what the customer should order.. any cheat sheet would be great.

1. PlanetTVStudios3 profile image60
      PlanetTVStudios3posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Awesome

1. RichardWest1 profile image60
        RichardWest1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful

2. Solomon Burns profile image40
      Solomon Burnsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Look around you. Are your coworkers SMARTER than you? Or just a few days more experienced?

There is nothing unethical or immoral about popping a button for an extra tip.

Carry your tray on your fingertips for better control. Serve from the right as you go counterclockwise around the table. Take orders the same way so you can deliver the plates in order to.

Good luck and know that in a year, when you apply to a fine epicurean establishment, you'll make $2-300 a night off a dozen parties instead of $2-3 each from 100.

2. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Always have a smile on your face and make sure your customer is satisfied. I've never been a waitress before but if a waitress does those 2 points above. I always leave a big Tip. Good luck.

1. Annettewite profile image58
      Annettewiteposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi dear how are you.
      I will love to know more about you.
      here is my ID contact me to enable us know each other.
      [ graceannettewite@gmail.com ]
      I will be waiting to read from you .
      Grace

3. dabeaner profile image60
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

Pay attention. Be observant. Be pleasant. Be attentive but not intrusive.  Those are the most important things, but most waiters and waitresses are incapable of them.  It's a job that everyone thinks they can do, but most don't do it well.  Ensure the busboy refills water and that he removes plates when the diner is done with a course.  Look for when the diners may want your attention.  But don't hover; don't ask how their meal is when the diners are in the middle of chewing a bite.  Especially don't interrupt if the diners' conversation is animated.  Don't offer advice unless asked for.  If you are a vegan, a carnivore is not going to appreciate your recommending some processed soy mush.  Or vice versa.  Just remember, the customer is always right -- unless she is an a-hole. smile
    Good luck.

1. Solomon Burns profile image40

Great point.

4. profile image0
    TypingTornadoposted 14 years ago

the customer should order whatever he or she wants.  YOU should be yourself.  that will then afford you all the answers you need.  if you're a natural at waiting tables, you'll love it.  if you are horrible at waiting tables, you'll hate it.  'nuf said.

5. profile image53
    aharrisposted 14 years ago

Waiting tables is demanding work. Prepare yourself to be exhausted after your first few shifts.  Wear comfortable shoes. Like any job, there will be things you like about it and things you don't.

Remember, the customer is not the enemy.

The customer is why you are there.  Don't judge them and remain neutral about their clothing and manners.  Don't allow yourself to predict what kind of tip you will earn from anyone; accept any tip, large or small, with gratitude.  if you serve everyone as if they were your grandparents or a beloved cousin, you will be rewarded with repeat business and the knowledge that you are a class act.  You want these people to come back and request to be seated at your station.

Make nice with the kitchen staff, but keep your distance.  It is rough in there, and very old school.  Find a way to earn their respect and when you need a favor - as you surely will - you will get it.  One way to earn their respect is to respect their food.  Get those plates to the diners while they are still hot.  Say please and thank you.  You are not better than they are.  They are artists compared with what you do. 

Don't gossip.  Listen, but stop yourself any time you feel the urge to say something negative.  Be sure to do your share and then some.  Any time a chance to help someone else comes up, treat it like a golden opportunity, do them a favor, and don't talk about it then or later.  Just do it. 

Arrange your hair so you don't have to touch it while working.  Smile.  Listen.  Don't rush the diners.  A sense of humor is helpful. 

Good luck.  You have the chance to improve people's lives every day by the way you serve them.  You can make a lot of money that way, too.

1. Solomon Burns profile image40

All I can add is recommending dessert first and suggesting that the portions are huge so you can share one AND an appetizer if you like. THOSE are the profit margin items, not the entrees.

2. Timmy808 profile image39
      Timmy808posted 14 years ago

Dear Bcook,
      Becoming a waitress is one of those starter jobs where nerves come in to play, beaware its how you are percieved by the customers as well as other staff members and mainly by your manager, your posture, how you serve, how you greet the table guests etc, and your mood all count, you will see the difference in tips through the use of the above with an added smile and some lighthearted compliments or conversation but do not over step the mark by upsetting those who are dinning with there partner.   On customer orders quoting the memu specials for the day is simple enough for a customer as they will already have a memu to order from.   On tips the general tip it is between 10% to 20% of the service bill, which is directly for the employee or is granted by some type of arrangement between you and your boss, which is either sorted out by the tip being divided with the both of you taking a share or the employee taking all the tips percentage or by the business taking all of the percentage with your tips being paid to you through your salary also remember your tips are made up on a weekly basis therefore its wise to keep a record to get a correct idea of what you make in tips in case of any problems.
      If you have any problems contact your local legal advisor and they will advise you on what you can do to take legal action which will usually be in the form of a independent employment tribunal.

Good luck.
      Tim.

3. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68
      BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

Customer service can be a rewarding job.  Attitude is everything.  You should never make anyone feel they are putting you out.

Let the customer know you wish to take care of them and make their dining experience great by your attitude.  Exchange pleasantries but be brief and not tell your whole life story.

I once had a waitress that literally laid her head on the table I was sitting at while she was taking the order!  lol.

All that being said - have fun.  Your attitude will bring them back though even if there is a mix up in food or something.  People like good service.  At least I do.

4. denisewebster profile image41
      denisewebsterposted 7 years ago

Hello Bcook,

Waitressing is not an easy job as some might think. As I started my career serving tables here's a few tips:

1) Customer service. - "Customers come first"
      This statement in most cases is true. The business you are in depends on customers. Businesses compete relying on reputation, without customers there is no business.

SMILE - Do you want to be served by an unhappy waitress? Leave your problems at home, because for 9 hours of the day, you are a professional!

BE POLITE - "P's and Q's" is something people remember. Today people walk round with heads down and it grates on my nerves when manners don't cost a thing. Thank your customers for placing their order.

BE HONEST - If you have over charged or someone has left a big tip, question it.

2) Food orders -  "Run like hot cakes"
      WRITE IT DOWN - When people place orders with you, there's nothing wrong with writing it down. A quick repeat to make sure the order is complete and heard so there are no mixed orders. Write on your note pad the table number or even the surname of the customer.

TEMPERATURE - Part of the training should be an awareness on food temperature. When food has been cooked through, it should sit under a heater to remain at a certain temperature (I think above 64oc) However, it is important that food is distributed to the right customer as soon as it has been cooked.

3) When you start to pour larger/beer in the glass, angle the glass straightaway at 45o to the pump. As soon as the liquid fills half the glass, move the glass upright. This way you will serve a nice glass of beer. If you have little "head" on the beer pull the level in short spurts.

4) YOUR PERSONAL HYGIENE
      I know this sounds daft but be aware of your personal hygiene. Whilst  this area can be laughed at and ignored, washing hands and tying back hair is important to prevent risks of contamination in food.

1. shon1121 profile image69
        shon1121posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant answer.  Also found it hard work...you certainly get used to the shifts and being on your feet all day.  Best of luck,  think you will do just fine Bcook.

You will meet some lovely people in the job, both staff and customers.

5. profile image0
      JohnPLyonsposted 7 years ago

Keep your eyes open to what's happening on your tables, reacting quickly to a need.

You may find waitresses who've worked there sometime work slower and don't do this...ignore them. They're not on a trial...you are!

Be helpful and have a desire to help others to have an enjoyable experience.

Don't be judgemental of your clients, treat each and everyone of them as if they are the best tipper you've ever met. They might not tip you this time, as they have no money this week...but if they enjoy you, they'll come back again and maybe tip you twice as much next time.

Above all else. ENJOY you time with your clients.

Good Luck!

6. profile image55
      Hope Richmondposted 7 years ago

be nice, be honest and make eye contact. Too many people don't look at you when they speak, its the best way to get someone on your side and for you to look confident even if you don't know what you are doing. If you are honest and say you are new (without being totally incompetent) whilst being nice and friendly but making eye contact you are sure to do fine.

7. Susan Sears profile image90
      Susan Searsposted 6 years ago

Waiting tables is difficult work. I did it for many years.  I always think of it as service with a smile. In my life, it was a great learning experience. I learned to smile even when I was stressed or annoyed, that people are different- but that they all have something unique to offer and how to be observant.

For advice dress neatly, appear clean, wear comfortable shoes, have your hair groomed nicely, and tied back away from your face. Remember not everyone tips great - but they often tip better if they enjoyed your service - and this is a service job.

Most of all have fun - you may come up with some great writing ideas from your experience. Even though it has been many years since I was a waitress I still have experiences that stand out in my memories.

8. Neoalchemist profile image60
      Neoalchemistposted 6 years ago

Hi, your best ally is... your smile smile

I manage a recruiting organization in one of the biggest IT companies in the world. I can tell you, by experience, that the way you interact with people makes the whole difference.

Good luck

9. profile image54
      Anila shaheenposted 6 years ago

Just keep a light smile on your face while serving food and be attentive don't ask about the food quality or test unless or until they would not ask about it. Actually just show your behaviour, if you have been attanend so many guest at your home,than you would difinetly take pass clear your trile, because it's all about the hospitality.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)