Should Women Be Pastors? Should Women Preach?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (33 posts)
  1. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Should Women Be Pastors? Should Women Preach?

2. yes2truth profile image60
    yes2truthposted 14 years ago

No to the first question and yes to the second if they have the gift of teaching i.e. the Spiritual gift of teaching.

3. Miss D profile image60
    Miss Dposted 14 years ago

There's no reason why women should not be pastors, ministers, or catholic priests, for that matter. Religion usually tends to be biased against women. This is because they're not involved in any of the decision making.

1. profile image50
      lifedoesmakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

give me a verse that women should preach in church

4. bala99 profile image61
    bala99posted 14 years ago

Of course! Yes! for both the questions. Hey! they take care children and family! It is in them to minister!

Mother is the first teacher!, If she took care to teach you skills of life, she can teach you the good word!

5. profile image0
    ellie1142545posted 14 years ago

Many Denominations allow it now....Methodist, Episcopalian, Pentecostal, Lutherans, and I'm sure there are others that allow it....

The last church I attended, before starting to the one I'm attending now, had a woman Pastor....The Pastor before her was also a woman....

I started to attend this church with my Sister-In-Law, and 3 weeks later, my husband started attending with me.....We were there for 1 year....We received an invite to an Easter Program at the church we attend now, and we just knew we were meant to attend there....

When we attended the old church, the congregation was about 100 strong.....After we left, everyone else decided to leave....With in 3 months, the church was no more......It set empty for over 2 years before a new Pastor decided to give it a try....That was 5 years ago, and it's still going strong...This Pastor is a man....

Do I see anything wrong with women be Pastor's, and Preach?  No, but.....Whatever woman decides to become a Pastor and Preach....They need to make sure, that it is God calling them to do so....Other wise the same thing that happened to my last church, will happen again.....

6. twill4jc profile image64
    twill4jcposted 14 years ago

In the days of the Bible women were prophets, and Paul refered to one of the women as being great an outstanding among the other apostles! 1 Cor. 12:28, says "And God hath set some in the church, first apostle, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers". In Ephesians 4:11, "and he gave some....evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers". So if God called a woman to be a prophet why would'nt He call a woman to be a Pastor!

Besides the distinctions between men and women are physical and functional, rather than of their own essence.  A spirit has no gender. After God created man, He placed him in two physical houses, male and female. This means that man the spirit exist within every male and every female. All of us-males and females alike are man. The essence of both male/female is resident spirit within them called man.

For more info and understanding check out my hub under women ministers.

God bless

7. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Why not? I can't think of any reason why women should not be ministers, pastors, priests, bishops, archbishops or even the Pope.

8. petsnakes profile image68
    petsnakesposted 14 years ago

I used to say yes, but after studying what the Bible really says I have to say no to pastoring and yes to preaching if that is their gifting.

9. juliehess profile image60
    juliehessposted 14 years ago

I FEEL IF GOD HAS PUT IT IN YOUR HEART TO PASTOR,PREACH OR TEACH YOU SHOULD FOLLOW YOUR HEART ,100% YES

10. yolanda yvette profile image61
    yolanda yvetteposted 14 years ago
  11. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

First we need to understand the difference between being a pastor, and preaching.  A pastor is a priest or minister in charge of a church, or responsible for the welfare of a number of people.  A preacher is someone who preaches the word of God.  To preach is to make known by sermon, to deliver it. 

Now the final answer.  No, women can not do this, because women are stupid sinners, and men are perfect *sarcasm*

12. lkeipp profile image61
    lkeippposted 14 years ago

Yes and yes.  I think many women make better pastors, ministers and preachers than men do.

13. aceofhearts552000 profile image59
    aceofhearts552000posted 14 years ago

I don't see why a woman can't be  preacher.If she can be a mother or a teacher why can't she be a preacher? I have heard alot of female preachers and I'll admit some are better than some of the male preachers I've heard. The church I belong to now has a female pastor and I think she is good. So I say yes a woman can be a preacher.

14. amolefi profile image57
    amolefiposted 14 years ago

Abrushing1968, Timothy was not God, but a man like you. Men have always demonstrated their ability to be imperfect not only in the way they behave, but also the things they say. Just because sexism appears in the Bible doesn't make it right. The Bible has been heavily influenced by men over the years. Men have a strong desire to keep women underfoot, so as to feel in control. If the Bible contains any of these characteristics, then I would question it. God is no respecter of persons, so why would he show more favour to men? Women have been given a great job to do, and that is to look after boys, as well as girls, until there're old enough to take care of themselves. The only problem is that men then want to turn around and place underfoot the very hand that fed them.

Timothy is not God, the Bible is not God and any earthly thing that can be changed by the hands of men should not be place on the table of God as if he is responsible. The idea that women should not be teachers within the church is not an idea from God, but from MEN. If Timothy did say that then Timothy was a sexist disciple who was human, not GOD! There is a big difference. I do know that some of you out there are so mentally engrossed in the Bible that nothing else matters, but one must remember that it is only a book. The book should not be worshipped, it is God that should be!  Men aren't even doing a good job in the world, and then to expect them to do a good job in the church is another thing. We as men need to control the EGO and not the WOMAN. The EGO is the problem and it's sneaking into the church and caused all kinds of problems.

The Scribes and Pharisees had the same problem, they were so engrossed in the religious text of those days that they were oppressive to Jesus, because he didn’t fit the book they so cherished, and so their EGOS interfered. Eventually they would abuse Jesus for nothing!!! Is history about to repeat itself?

Yes women should have the same rights in the church as men!!!!

15. profile image53
    peacefullnessposted 14 years ago

yes women should be pastors and yes women should preach this is not just my opinion but i am a pastor and i do preach i do believe there are many places in the bible where God has choosen to use women for his own purpose including to house the Holy son of God he also appear to Mary first before any of the eleven apostles after his resurrection God is looking for availability not gender as long as you will be a mouth piece for God in the earth he will use u if he can use the jaw bone of an ass and the john crow or vulture for feeding the prophet and the donkey to talk to false prophet baalaam who can't he use we get too techenical with things missing the whole point listen up there is neither male nor female bond nor free, jew nor gentile let's just worship Him God in spirit and in truth lets support those whom feet are shed with the preperation of the gospel of peace amen.

16. aoiffe379 profile image61
    aoiffe379posted 14 years ago

When i look at John 4, I see a powerful evangelist/preacher in the Samaritan Woman. Her  invitation to come see a man led to a whole city coming to Jesus. He held a seminar/workshop/conference; and this was before Pentecost- the coming of the Holy Ghost! in order to achieve such results, she had the Holy Ghost already.It is said that you can television, telephone; but marvelous things happen when you tell a woman! Sometimes I am asked to minister; and I have to study as well as wait on the Lord just like the men. Often I am up early preparing the  message. The gospel cannot wait for the men only.Time is short.

17. bayareagreatthing profile image59
    bayareagreatthingposted 14 years ago

Yes I believe that God allows the gift of the spirit to be given both to men and women which of course would include preaching (evangelism) and being a pastor. That is the egalitarian view.

The evidence can be given, however, for both views.  Each viewpoint can have weight added to it by scripture reference.  That is one of the reasons for the debate.  I think there may be another potential reason too- I addressed that in the hub below for your consideration.

Ephesians 4:11-13
    It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Women-Go-Against-God-And-Preach

1. profile image50
      lifedoesmakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

just comments give me  a verse

18. JessicaHRea profile image59
    JessicaHReaposted 14 years ago

I think women should be able to preach. If God leads them to it, let them do it.

19. chontella profile image60
    chontellaposted 14 years ago

I am a Minister, Evangelist, Preacher (what do you call it?) The word  of God says, "beautiful are the feet that carry the good news of the gospel," However I see nowhere that it is written that a woman cannot preach it. There are too many lost souls for gender to be in the way of who is an instrument to salvation.

20. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 14 years ago

if the truth be told...your experience as well as existence is a message.  Whether man or woman, both sexes are capable of "preaching" to others. I am not into the whole church thing, but I believe that preaching really should be about ones experience and how they have learned as well as grown from it.  If you want to incorporate biblical teachings...so be it!  Who can truly yap about something having absolutely no idea of what they are speaking about and get through to someone who needs spiritual help.  Not only does it feel dull but ones spirit and soul does not received that which it needs to heal.  The most amazing words are those that are expressed from one who has gotten their feet wet so to speak and can truly be of assistance to you through words of wisdom as well as experience.

Vonda G. Nelson

21. BrianLeanza profile image61
    BrianLeanzaposted 14 years ago

Absolutely.

Why? Simply because there is not a single reason against it that holds against closer inspection.

22. profile image48
    Goddyposted 14 years ago

Answering the question is more like saying,should a woman allowed to wear clothes.We are all born into the house of God and created by one God..Genesis 1:26.If we have a quick look at Ephesians 2:19...we can see the glorious liberty in Christ Jesus according to the love of which he hath shown to the wjole world.We also,are compelled to follow the same kind of love in ministering the gospel of truth and life of eternity regardless of gender or creed.It does not require any particular gender to usher out the real truth of salvation where the case may apply.Therefore,to understand the real purpose of man is also to acknowledge the therapy that comes from it.Let us bear one anothers buren but if those who are sent to administer this therapy are not fully aware of what is required from them,does it really matter who God is using to save that dying soul from hell.This also applied to our Lord and saviour Christ Jesus himself,when he opened the eye of the blind boy.According to the religious group who did not tap into the special grace of God for all began to bite themselves to point fingers of injustice if he really had the authority to save that boys sight.Let us all do realise that Paul who wrote and commanded that wrote that for a reason for edification or perhaps for some unknown reasons.However,a woman can preach because in the house of the Lord there are neither jew or slave or gentile as many that have been chosen into the family of God and that selection is given in the book of John in the chapter number 3:16.

23. bryguy1 profile image61
    bryguy1posted 14 years ago

According to the Bible The Word of God proclaims, “A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent” (1 Timothy 2:11-12). In the church, God assigns different roles to men and women. This is a result of the way mankind was created and the way in which sin entered the world (2 Timothy 2:13-14). God, through the apostle Paul, restricts women from serving in roles of teaching and/or having spiritual authority over men. This precludes women from serving as pastors, which definitely includes preaching to, teaching, and having spiritual authority over men.

This is a very hotly debated issue in today's world.  The truth is that to every culture, religion, and society there will be a different truth to this question.  All religions and believers have their own opinion and belief in this respect so depending on the particular persons religious viewpoints this answer will vary.

24. alwaysabridesmaid profile image60
    alwaysabridesmaidposted 14 years ago

YES and YES.   Doesn't God say each of us are bestowed specific gifts that it is our duty to use?

25. HOOWANTSTONO profile image60
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 14 years ago

You did say Pastor.
    I dont suggest its a good idea especially if she is married. There has never been a woman as a Pastor in the bible, and never was encouraged, because of Gods order and design. An Evangelist, is a more accepted and God blessed ministry for a woman when led by the Holy Spirit.

Yes woman should preach its a Holy Spirit led ministry.

26. profile image0
    dracaslairposted 14 years ago

yes they should because men have gotten lazy,iv seen so many men get lazy or move to something else.

27. Silver Poet profile image69
    Silver Poetposted 14 years ago

The debate rages in churches around the globe.  Are women equal?  Are their ideas important?  Why do some churches only allow males to become clergymen? read more

28. Gresham profile image60
    Greshamposted 14 years ago

After reading carefully the bible, I personally think women should not be  pastors,bishops or whatever top positions in church.Women have their important tasks in the church, of which some of them are  doing the good works of giving to the poor and other support duties. In the bible, we dont find any woman who was used by God in undertaking important tasks like what Moses, Elijah, Daniel, Abraham etc did. There were lots of women but why did GOD refrained from using them? When Jesus chose the 12 apostles, why did He chose men alone? Why did the churches refused to elevate women to pastors , priests and bishops all along up until recently. Did they knew something but in order to please the women had some of them started to put them to such positions? lets be careful in these last days as the church had been infiltrated by the enermy.

29. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

If man is supposed to rule the house then i don't see why he shouldn't also rule the church. A helper is a helper in whatever capacity the male chooses to function, the woman is the helper. This was unconditionally given by god, that she help the man.
    We can't really go against gods garden words, can we?

30. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 13 years ago

Women can preach just as well as a man.  God did not ordain it to be men only.  It was the MAN who ordained this and in the Bible it is said that women should be as property of the man, which is rediculous.  God calls those he choses and MAN can't judge anyone or anything for that but himself.

31. micadeolu profile image48
    micadeoluposted 13 years ago

I was once against this belief until I asked the Divine Oracle of the Lord that made reference to a passage in the Bible where the two Marys met Jesus Christ after His death and resurrection.

The Bible made mention that they went and gave the news to the Lord's disciples telling them of his resurrection and that He had given a mandate to meet Him at Galilee.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)