Is It Morally Right For Men To Wear Earrings?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (24 posts)
  1. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Is It Morally Right For Men To Wear Earrings?

A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman's garment; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the lord your God. (Deuteronomy 22:5)

2. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Ngureco, the world has changed so much.  If men want to bling themselves with Earrings - it's their call. (but the fashion should be - just one ear).

That verse was referring only to the people who were being spoken to at that particular time, in the Bible.

There are tribes in Certain Countries where the men don't wear trousers. They wear a wrapper (which is normally used by women or a flowing gown. It's their tradition). Have they sinned? I am a Christian and in the Winter, you will never catch me in a skirt. I feel warmer with Trousers. That Biblical verse does not refer to our times now.

Lets not quote out of Context.  smile

3. Xaquizzle profile image60
    Xaquizzleposted 14 years ago

Women wear pants, some men wear makeup. I personally think that morals don't come into play here.

4. adsensesecrets profile image60
    adsensesecretsposted 14 years ago

of course they do in other parts of the world more so then here

5. point2make profile image61
    point2makeposted 14 years ago

Rabbinic teaching on Deuteronomy 22:5 is diverse and not without controversy.  You can easily find dozens of different interpretations of this particular verse by simply going to Google. To your point of morality  women wearing pants and men wearing wraps or robes, which is their custom,  is not a sin. If a women dresses in men's clothing in order to pass herself off as a man that is a sin as it would also be for a man who dresses in women's clothing as a deception. It is not the clothing it is the deception that is wrong. As for your earrings men wearing earrings goes back several thousand years. Men were adorned with jewelery
    as a show of position and wealth. It was not strictly a men or woman thing. What would be immoral, for example, would be if you went out and purchased a $5000 1 carat diamond stud earring while, at the same time, your children didn't have enough food to eat or proper clothes to wear. It's not wearing the earring that convicts you it would be your motive that would be your undoing

6. indianjohn profile image60
    indianjohnposted 14 years ago

no, i thing its not right because everyone be good at his/her position as men cant develop a pure and feeling full heart like women, so everyone need each other,  you cant express your self as woman by earring, i think all one should be in limit told in their personal religion..thats solve..

7. easetravels profile image59
    easetravelsposted 14 years ago

It is not a crime. Any body can wear.
    In India in those days male were allowed to wear the ear rings. That too, they had all quality stone studs. But Off late they found that it was in convenient to clean and to wear. And poor were not able to buy and wear.The Britishers were ruling then and during then they did not wear.
    But, infact wearing an ear ring is very good to anyone's health. It stimulates the Brain cells. Nervous system will be normal due to this accupuncture.
    Good looking also.Equality with the women is maintained.

8. profile image51
    jz22blueposted 14 years ago

What do morals have to do with earrings? Who's to say one item is affiliated with one sex and one with the other? In history, men have paraded around in skirts,what we would consider to be 'womanly' currently...Romans, Greeks, Scottish etc. Women currently wear pants, once thought to be a manly item. Earrings are for decoration or character and are widely accepted to be apart of men's attire. Does this mean women shouldn't wear A-shirts (wife-beaters), blazers, pant suits or jeans? If this is the case, women shouldn't have anything to do with home finances, working out of the house, or any major decision. Give me a break, women insist on equality on their terms. Give me all access, but I don't want to have to put up the same numbers, or pick up as much weight, or hit a ball as far (golf) etc. I can go on and on...By the way I am a woman.

9. lkeipp profile image60
    lkeippposted 14 years ago

Earrings are NOT soley a woman's jewelry; they certainly weren't during the period in which the bible was written.  If you're not aware of this, then perhaps you should look at the images, art, jewlery from the time period.  A quick search of the internet, a trip to the art museum and even to the natural history museum will show you that earrings have been for men and women both, in fact, more men than women wore earrings historically.

So perhaps it;s the women who are sinning here - consider that.

10. vanderhaven profile image72
    vanderhavenposted 14 years ago

I appreciate your reference to the Bible verse and just have to say that it can be interpreted in any way the reader of it wants to interpret it. I suspect of course that you have interpreted it as if an ear ring pertains to a woman and is somewhat of a woman's garment.
    A piercing of an earlobe in long ago  times was sometimes  a sign of ownership of a servant. A ring was placed in the ear so that the servant could be "branded" in a way and then others would know he or she was the servant of the one who put the ring in there with the mark of the household. So, anyone could have been a servant either a man or a woman.

In the United States culture for quite a while it was considered that women wore earrings and men did not so at first when it became apparent that men were piercing their ears it was unusual and strange to most people and it was a "change" and most people react negatively to change and prefer to keep things the way it has always been.

I personally, like traditional viewpoints and am very conservative but I have to say that it doesn't occur to  me when I see a man with earrings that he has greatly  morally declined- I generally make a judgement call on a person's morals when other things are in question not earrings.

Wearing earrings as a man, in my opinion, does not equal them having no morals. I think morals and earrings have nothing to do with one another.
    smile

11. profile image0
    pauls_boatposted 14 years ago

yes it is morally right for men to wear earrings where i am in puerto rico most men have large dimond earrings in both ears this is a strong christian country and no one thinks it incorect for a man to wear them.

what has clothes to do with morals? in some countrys it is said to be morally wrong for a woman to have her skin showing and should hide is that right?

everone should be able to make up there own mind as to what is morally right or wrong not depend on what others tell them.

12. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

Why would wearing earrings be a question of morals?  Are earrings actually considered a "garment", anyway?  I've seen both men and women wear a crucifix on a chain around their neck.  Does this qualify as an abomination? 

What about shoes?  Both sexes wear shoes, should it be considered "male" or "female" apparel and thus an abomination?  Or socks?

In my opinion, it is not morally wrong for men to wear earrings.

13. RachelLynn profile image60
    RachelLynnposted 14 years ago

Just because more women adorn their ears than men doesn't mean that it's solely an article that women should wear.  No one knows if men wore earrings or not in biblical times.  It wasn't addressed, and I don't think it's an issue worth losing sleep over.  If you are a man that wants to pierce his ears, go for it!  There's nothing wrong with it, and it does look nice if done tastefully.  I hope this clears some things up for you.

14. TheLoanConsultant profile image60
    TheLoanConsultantposted 14 years ago

Well "ngureco" you really ask some good questions don't you? I was just in a discussion about this because one of my friends use to be an "Apostolic" and they are always shoving this teaching down people's throats, according to him. I'll give you the answer I gave him on this. "2 TIMOTHY 2:15" States that we are to rightly divide the word of Truth and "2 CORINTHIANS 2:13" says that we are to compare spiritual things with spiritual and last but not least "2 TIMOTHY 3:16" says that all scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness." So using these scriptures as our major premise let us now examine GALATIONS 3:23-26. "Before faith came, we were kept under The Law...Wherefore The Law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. After faith came, we are no longer under the schoolmaster" (The Law) We are no longer under The Law of Moses. However some of The Commandments of The Law did carry over into the New Covenant. There has been a revision in The Law through the blood of Jesus, which is the blood of the new covenant. To find out which commandments still apply in the New Covenant, read the New Testament.

15. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

In the bible ear and nose rings were a sign of possession, on men. Men never really wore earrings for decoration. In today's world, vanity is a big reason men wear earrings and we know god disproves of a spirit of vanity. Some earrings have crosses on them, devils, rare gems.. this is some pagan practice that whatever you wear in symbology will become your reality. Indians wear spirit guides, like feathers. Gems are gemology stemming from a belief that a certain rock will induce magic powers, this is superstition and we know god dislikes superstitions.
    So basically Why would a christian, even a woman, want to wear bling.
    Isaiah 41:29   Behold, they are all vanity; their works are nothing: their molten images are wind and confusion.

1. profile image53
      abt79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a difference between wearing earrings and being over obsessed with vanity. It is not crossing they line to wear jewelry, as long as it is moral and not, say, devil-worshipping.

16. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 13 years ago

I see nothing wrong with a man wearing earrings.  To me, nothing is hotter on a man, especially if he has long hair and a well built body to wear earrings.  Bald men especially look hot in earrings!  Dear Ngureco, get with the 21st century.

17. nifty@50 profile image68
    nifty@50posted 13 years ago

I think it is morally ok, just in very poor taste fashion wise, unless you're a pirate!

18. Butterfly12345 profile image58
    Butterfly12345posted 13 years ago

It is morally not right for men to wear earrings but for fashion point of view men can do so.

19. Curtis Aron profile image70
    Curtis Aronposted 13 years ago

Morals?  Earrings?  It's not that serious.  I wear earrings in social settings and the ladies love 'em.

20. sumitparihar profile image41
    sumitpariharposted 13 years ago

yes it is ok..if it looks good on that person
    looks ...matters

21. jenisis profile image60
    jenisisposted 13 years ago

Yes, as long as his ears are pierced. (thats what those cute little holes are for)

22. profile image53
    abt79posted 10 years ago

Why would it be wrong for a man to wear earrings. I would never want to wear them, as they can be painful and get infected, but there is nothing wrong with them.
    An earring isn't always a "woman's garment". Take pirates, for example.

23. profile image59
    MikeyPeteposted 9 years ago

The thing is 99% of what men and women wear is decided by local customs. The bible states that women are to be proud of their long hair. BUT many artists portray Jesus Christ as having long hair. Is the Son of God an abomination of God? I hardly believe so. The Scottish and Irish kilt is a predecessor of the skirt and dress. There we are talking about a custom.
    When I wear earrings I do as being male, I identify myself as that, NOT as a woman wanna be. When I wear a kilt I do so out of my Celtic customs. I do draw a line by NOT calling myself a woman. That's another discussion in itself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)