Is it Good to use free Antivirus softwares or the premium paid ones? what is the

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image55
    Sujo Alexposted 14 years ago

Is it Good to use free Antivirus softwares or the premium paid ones? what is the difference?

And if you know some free fully functional antivirus softwares, can you please suggest some?

2. Kananesgi profile image62
    Kananesgiposted 14 years ago

Some people will say the premium AV is the only way to go.  I, myself, would say that there are indeed some good free AV options out there.  AVG Free Edition is a decent option, but my own personal recommendation would be Avast! Antivirus.  It requires registration, but is 100% free for home, non-commercial use.

As for the difference, usually it involves extra features like email scanning, indentity protection, spam protection, and spoof-site protection.  Most free AV programs will simply be that, an AV program, while most paid programs include the other features that you may or may not need.

Many seem to believe that having a big AV maker like Norten or McAfee means you'll get better virus definitions and more frequent updates, but this isn't entirely true.  My Avast! software updates every 24 hours, and I've never been hit with a virus since installing it.  My brother, running a complimentary one year subscription to Norten 360, got hit by two seperate trojan horse viruses that Norten did not catch until damage had been done.  Both of our computers are near identical, and we often visit the same kind of sites, so I would actually trust Avast! as much or more than a paid AV.

3. profile image52
    Pureyeposted 14 years ago

I have been building computers for people for over 10 years. I have a "package" of freeware that I set up on all these. I also worked for AOL for a while in customer service.Basic Antivirus software is by today's standards a simple task for programmers.They function pretty much the same. The user interfaces are probably the most different parts of each of them. If you are challenged by programs in general you will want to get something with an easy to use setup. In my opinion, the big names in software have been for the last several years focused on marketing gimmicks. Adding bloatware to their "packages" that really only slow down your computer and make it complicated for a normal user to discern what to use and what not to use. The free, more simple, efficient products are to me far more desirable. The two that I would highly recommend are AVG Free, And AVAST. Another is a program that is available as an online scan if you think you might have gotten a virus is Trend Micro's House Call. In my opinion there is no reason to pay for anitvirus software.

4. dabeaner profile image61
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

NOD32 has an excellent reputation.  ESET NOD32 (eset.com) costs a bit, but no more than Norton and others.  You get instant data updates that become active immediately.  And very easy to install and use.

5. bryanfkeller profile image57
    bryanfkellerposted 14 years ago

You can elliminate 99% of all adware, malware, viruses and spyware by using spybot search and destroy and malware bytes.  They are both free for personal use.

for more info

www.satechheads.com

6. BrianLeanza profile image59
    BrianLeanzaposted 14 years ago

Avira's free Virus Software (http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php) has one of highest best virus recognition ratios in the business ... and its free. As for the updates not being up to date with free antivirus software: this certainly does NOT hold true with Avira.

7. oblivliz profile image59
    oblivlizposted 14 years ago

Yes it is good. I use AVG, and no, the only difference is that the paid ones are more centered around big business or large social networking sites. And by the way, the guy above me knows exactly what hes talking about. If you want more info I have a hub for it.

8. profile image53
    jhonasposted 13 years ago

Actually paid and free antivirus softwares both are good in their own way. Free softwares are trial versions like for 20 days or 1 month but paid softwares are give you the security for 1 year. So according to me both are good.

http://www.bestantivirusreviewed.com/

9. profile image57
    stefan926posted 12 years ago

Actually there are some differences between them. the paid one has more functions than the free mode. thats the difference
    http://doctor.v9.com/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)