How to improve jump

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
    HubPagesposted 14 years ago

How to improve jump

2. hublim profile image68
    hublimposted 14 years ago

Build up your leg strength.

Go into a deep squat, explode upwards jumping as high as you can, using your arms to get extra height. Land with you feet shoulder width apart and repeat.

Do as many as you can in 60 seconds, take 60 seconds rest and repeat

3. stephenanfield profile image60
    stephenanfieldposted 14 years ago

Springboards work like a charm! They haven't failed me yet.

If you don't have access to a springboard, I'd say squats are pretty safe bet. My chicken legs weren't made for too many squats, though, so I tend to run to build up leg muscles.

When practicing, always remember practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Good luck!

4. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

Jumping is great because at he height of a jump you feel weightless. Jumping makes you temporarily lose gravity. My favourite jumping experiences are bouncing castles and trampolines, skipping ropes, jumping off heights with a soft, smooth landing and running up for a giant leap as in a Grand Jeté which is the closest you can get to the sensation to flying.

5. Phil Russo profile image41
    Phil Russoposted 14 years ago

The first thing you want to work on is stretching. Stretching is one of the most overlooked pieces of working out yet it can play a tremendous role. It has been found that stretching over the course of one month can increase your lower body strength by 15%. You will want to stretch after every workout of yours while focusing on the hamstrings, quads, hip-flexors and glutes.

Next, put more of a focus on your inner abdominal strength. While most are well aware of the importance of working out your rectus-abs, it is equally important you build the transverse abdominal wall just underneath. This will drastically improve your power movement allowing you to get better results. You can build this muscle by sucking in your stomach and holding the position for 20 seconds. Do this four times and continue this process a few days a week.

When trying to jump higher faster, obviously you will want to focus on your legs. You are not going to be jumping off of your arms which is why it makes sense to build the muscle in your legs. However, you can benefit from using your arms as well by applying a forceful arm-swing.

There really is nothing complicated or tricky about a forceful arm-swing. It is exactly as it sounds; you simply swinging your arms up fast while coordinating it with your jump. If you time it properly, the momentum from your arms can actually account for as much as 15% more lift than you typically get.

The last thing that few would ever think about when trying to increase their vertical leap is visualizing success. Think of it like the businessman visualizing living in Hawaii in owning his own business and then doing whatever it takes to accomplish this. If you visualize feeling lighter, feeling loose, and slamming the ball through the hoop, you will surprisingly see results. It is all about believing in yourself and your capabilities.

In order to jump higher faster you have to have the right mindset and work ethic. However, the secrets listed in this article prove that it is possible to increase your vertical leap with non-conventional methods.

6. rumbling profile image49
    rumblingposted 14 years ago

As a BasketBall player it is important for me to improve my vertical jump and in this hub I will show you some simple techniques that will help you improve it. Lots of factors contribute to in determining how high you jump but as far as I'm... read more

7. Set's All Set profile image66
    Set's All Setposted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub about skipping ropes. At the end of my hub I talked a little bit about my improved vertical hop. Though it was a side benefit, you would want to check it out.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Jumping-Rope-Ho … nd-Agility

8. profile image49
    c0zart7posted 14 years ago

I just wrote a hub on my 5 tips to improving overall jumping ability and explosiveness

http://hubpages.com/hub/JumpExplosiveness

9. H P Roychoudhury profile image43
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 14 years ago

There are two methods you can apply to improve jumping. To increase the length of a jump, you need to practice jumping in a place filled with sand and to improve the height you need to jump above a fixed height. The practice will increase the length of jumping on the one hand and the height of jumping on the other hand.

10. sportsguy12 profile image61
    sportsguy12posted 14 years ago

Pullups actually help very much.  You use your lateral muscles as well as core muscles when you do a pullup.  So remember jumping is not all about legs, but about coordination of your arms pumping up with you body as you jump and using your core muscles to lift.  Back Squats also help very much!  Remember to ALWAYS jump with both feet at the same time.  Your jump will increase very much if you follow these few rules.

11. profile image54
    emorehart1posted 14 years ago

Having a high vertical jump can take you from an average athlete to becoming an unstoppable force in the game. I wrote a hub on how to successfully increase your vertical jump.
      Check it out! You won't be sorry...

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Successf … tical-Jump

12. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 14 years ago

as the old saying goes, if you want to improve: practice makes perfect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)