whens a good time to introduce another siberian husky in family

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image52
    mariecposted 14 years ago

whens a good time to introduce another siberian husky in family

I have a 2 year female siberian husky, she is food aggresive and toy aggresive, This is the only problem we have with her. She loves other dogs, but scared to have problems.

2. profile image69
    Cowgirl0216posted 14 years ago

If your Siberian is food and toy aggressive, chances are she'll be aggressive over the attention you would give another dog. The safest thing to do would be to wait until something happens to her and then, if you want two siberians, consult with a reputable breeder and find out the temperments of the puppies and the parents. Perhaps you would be able to get littermates.

If you are willing to take on the risks and responsibilites of having an alpha Siberian and bringing in a new dog, here are some suggestions:

Try introducing a male instead of another female. Two females will fight faster than a male and female. You'll want to make sure he is fixed, of course. Puppies produced from a female with food aggression are likely to have the same problem.

Try introducing an older dog. You female will be less likely to hurt an adult. Introducing a puppy to her could mean risking its life.

3. stey_true profile image60
    stey_trueposted 13 years ago

Before bringing another Siberian Husky into your home you should try breaking the female Sibe of protecting her toys and food. One way to do this is hand feed your dog. Let her know that you putting your hand near her dish brings good things instead of her thinking you may take it away from her. My husky wouldn't eat her food when I first gave it to her she would guard it for hours and not let anyone touch it. It will take some time to break her of this..but you can either take little handfuls at a time and put them in her dish and when she eats that, give her another scoop. Or you can just hand feed her. She will learn you are the one giving the food, and will learn your hand is good.

For toys- a good way to break your dog from being toy aggressive is don't let her win the toy. Letting your Sibe win the toy is showing that she is more dominant than you are. Let her play with her toys and when you want the playing to stop put it up where she can't reach it. This will show that you tell her when she can play and when she cannot.

I think it is great to have more than one Siberian Husky. They give each other something to do. I have read that if you put two Siberian Huskies out ( in a fenced in yard) they will be less likely to try and escape because they have a friend ( another sibe) there with them.

I hope this helped!

4. siberblogger profile image60
    siberbloggerposted 13 years ago

Before you consider anything you are going to want to address the agression issues. For some dogs food agression can be easily curbed.

Number one, you eat first. With a Siberian husky there must be a pecking order and you need to be on the top of that. Second start to hand feed them but only after you pretend, (Or actually if it's a yummy treat) eat the food first.

They need to understand that the food is yours not theirs and that you are only "allowing" them to have some.

If this doesn't work then the issues can be more deeply rooted and I would HIGHLY suggest consulting a dog behaviorist. (I am not talking a pet smart dog trainer) but someone who knows how to modify a dogs behavior.

5. HuskyChaos profile image59
    HuskyChaosposted 10 years ago

I already have a hub on this subject:
    http://huskychaos.hubpages.com/hub/addi … husky-pack

A couple of additional points to consider in your situation:

Is your current female spayed? Not being so can add to aggression over food and toys.

I personally feel that adding a second Husky is best done while the first one is younger. This means they have a playmate as a puppy, as well as learning to be around a second dog in the home.

Dealing with her current food and toy aggression is important, whether you add another or simply keep the one. She needs to know this is not ok.

The fact is when you add a second, there will be a settling in period, so some problems may occur. The question is whether you are willing to work through the problems as they occur and not give up by getting rid of one of them too soon.

6. tsadjatko profile image66
    tsadjatkoposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8717194_f260.jpg

These are all great answers and the only thing I would add having bred Quality Siberian Huskies for over 25 years is this:

It may be too late to easily modify food aggression behavior of a 2 year old Husky that has never been broken of food aggression depending upon the dog's temperament and if you use hand feeding be prepared to get nipped in the beginning.

I assume your dog is spayed as keeping an intact female for 2 years as a pet is not reasonable and a food aggressive animal should not be bred as that trait will be passed along and can even be intensified.

Even though it is best to match pets with the opposite sex to achieve compatibility, dogs that exhibit aggressive tendencies may be so even toward an opposite sex dog if for some reason it doesn't like it and that reason may only be apparent to the dog. It could be it's sense of smell, body language, territorial instinct or just an alpha personality that makes it aggressive toward the companion dog. I had dogs who got along for a while but then something triggered a rift in that bond only they know.

So in the end you won't know until you try, but as others have said if you can break her of the aggression first that would be best but not required if she doesn't escalate from food aggression to dog aggression although you would have to feed them apart. Breaking the food aggression is easiest if started as a puppy and is mandatory if you don't want innocent children or others bit because they wondered to close to her bone, food or a plaything.

Of course if the dog is kept outside with plenty of room (and many husky owners do keep them outside as they are very hardy, love the cold and can be a disaster inside when they shed) food aggression would be less of a problem if they have plenty of room to avoid each other.

Finally I'd pick the friendliest most non aggressive (neutered when old enough) Husky you can find to be this dog's companion, young or old. It is most important that the new dog not be prone to react to aggression with aggression so when you get the new dog have it be on condition that you can return it within one month (or more if possible) in case they don't work well together. They may get along at first and when the newness wares off start having problems so give it as long as possible to work out. It is important your dog understands that you do not approve of any aggression toward the new dog so supervise their interactions as much as possible. http://hub.me/aaC86

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)