Why Choose A Rescue Cat

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Why Choose A Rescue Cat

2. lizistanton profile image60
    lizistantonposted 14 years ago

Okay -- rescue cat.  I started 2009 with six cats -- two left behind by a former roommate.  As the year draws to a close I find I lost one sweet cat to breast cancer, and two of the three dogs to age-related disease.  However, I now have nine.  You see, there was this proposition:  "Foster these kitties for a little while -- just until they're adopted." Las Vegas runs 110 degrees plus in the summer.  And I was loading these four adult cats into carriers, lugging them to the weekly adoptions and loading them back into the carriers and lugging them back into the house.  There was something wrong with this picture.  We were all suffering heat stroke. They hated the carriers.  And kittens (baby cats, mind you) were flying off the shelves as if on sale.  So, now I have quit "fostering" and adopted the four felines:  Rufus Samuel (aka Roofie -- a better name) age 2, O.J. (yeah, a marmalade tabby, but I didn't name him) age 3, Precious (a gorgeous black cat that looks amazingly like my other gorgeous black cat) age 5, and Sweetie Pie (whose toothless grin reminds me why I love him so) age unknown, likely eight or nine.
       That's why you rescue cats.

3. C.A. Johnson profile image68
    C.A. Johnsonposted 14 years ago

When I was young and lived with my grandmother, she taught me to have a soft heart for animals. As time has passed and I have gotten older, this lesson aged with me.

There is a tremendous population of abandoned animals throughout the country. Not all of them make it to shelters or rescue habitats. Sometimes the shelters in the area are over-populated and cannot take in any more. My love for the independence of the feline leads the strays and abandoned to me.

Over the years I have literally rescued dozens of starving, injured, and sick cats from the streets. Most find homes with friends, co-workers, and family. Some find homes with people who are looking for a reason to live. Some stay with me.

I live with ten cats currently. Eight belong to me and two belong to my mother. They all vary in shape, size, and color. They all have very vivid personalities. They have all been rescued from the streets and have found a home they choose to remain in.

Rescuing a cat, or any animal, requires a generosity of soul to give back and help. Despite animal funds and charities, animals are still largely overlooked; mostly because people think that someone else will help or that's what animal control is paid for. The life span at the hands of animal control can be short and too many people think that someone else will help.

Many choose not to rescue animals because they do not think they can afford the expense, especially when they are struggling. One cat saved from the streets eats very little, what a person spends on fast food during the week will often feed a single cat for several weeks. A saved cat that is sick or injured can often be treated without charge through a local veterinarian if you explain financial difficulties and that the cat is directly from the street. Most vets can offer affordable insurance for the animal to cover the major future expenses for as little as $6 a month.

Why choose to rescue a cat? Because cat's can be your friend, your love, and your salvation.

4. nifty@50 profile image68
    nifty@50posted 14 years ago

Be part of the solution, not the problem! By rescuing cats you are freeing up space so that cats in shelters have more time to be adopted before they get terminated. To be part of the solution, cut down the demand of the cat breeders, and get your'e cats "fixed" immediately! The most positive thing you can do is adopt a cat before it makes it's way to a shelter in the first place! Also, make sure your cats get all of their shots on schedule!  http://Hubpages.com/hub/Let-a-cat-Adopt-you

5. Leah-G profile image59
    Leah-Gposted 12 years ago

Because Bob Barker has told us to! Spay and neuter your pets!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)