Do you spend much time re-editing your published hubs? I wonder if my perfection

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Laura in Denver profile image73
    Laura in Denverposted 14 years ago

Do you spend much time re-editing your published hubs? I wonder if my perfectionism is a waste.

2. profile image0
    daytripeerposted 14 years ago

Other than a small mistake that I try never to overlook, I don't spend a great deal of time re-editing my hubs after they are published. I try very hard to re-edit till I am blue in the face, before I ever publish one. Naturally I look for mistakes, however, I am much more concerned with how I said something. Sometimes I will take entire lines out, and, sometimes delete certain words that really were not needed. There is always a better way of saying something too. Perfectionism is never a waste. I can never attain perfection but it is not from a lack of effort, but rather, a lack of ability. :-)

3. lmmartin profile image68
    lmmartinposted 14 years ago

Yes, Laura, I do. It is a matter of pride that any work I do, paid or not, be the best I can do, so I seem to re-edit every time I visit one of my articles.

4. THFplumbers profile image60
    THFplumbersposted 14 years ago

It depends on what the purpose of the Hub is.  If you're just trying for AdSense bucks, then you may as well focus on quantity, as opposed to quality. 

But if you're trying to promote your business, or be genuinely informative, then it does pay to give each article an extra once over.

5. Springboard profile image83
    Springboardposted 14 years ago

I certainly don't think editing hurts. Besides, I'm a firm believer that if you are writing well, and well-thought out pieces, any money or traffic that generates money will come as a natural part of that process. If we just spit out a bunch of garbage, we may still get some folks in, but the work will be a lot more.

An analogy from a factory workers perspective; I can perform my job well by honing my skills on the job, and by setting up my machine properly. I can have a full and extensive knowledge of my machine, keep a watchful eye, and perhaps even avoid some potentially bad situations. I will not have to work hard, and therefore the value of every dollar I earn will be greater.

Or I could just show up to work and run my tail off because product doesn't want to go in the right places, I'd rather chit-chat then watch...

I'll walk out of the plant sweaty and though the money may be the same, I'll have worked a lot harder for it.

Write it and they will come. Write it well and they'll come back. The value of each new reader you reach has greater value.

Long and short; I'd rather work for 1 new reader to come back 10 times than work for 10 readers to come in only once.

6. J Burgraff profile image69
    J Burgraffposted 14 years ago

If I find a flagrant error with syntax or punctuation, I will edit.  If I reread my hub and a sentence sounds wrong, I will edit.  I'd like to think my hub was well written before I ever published it and it sounds like, with your perfectionism, that's probably the case.  What I do know is that I read a ton of hubs that look as if they were never edited in the first place.  I don't return to that hubber because I think they are essentially lazy and just trying to churn hubs.  If you care about writing, it's natural to be a bit picky about what you put out there for the public to read.  It's a matter of pride.

7. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I don't think I spend a lot of time re-editing a Hub, but in the three years I've been making Hubs, I know that each one probably been edited at least once.  Some of the content capsules that exist now weren't even here at the start.  A few have been edited more than that.  When I learn something that will really improve the function or performance of my Hubs, I definitely go back and do some retouching.  If some new news or info surfaces that is relevant to keeping the content the most useful to the reader, I'll edit for that.

8. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 14 years ago

I think Relache answered it the best. Sometimes making changes to titles (keywords) can do little help in traffic too.

9. avangend profile image60
    avangendposted 14 years ago

I definitely am a perfectionist when it comes to writing, but usually I do my editing before I publish something online. I will often save it, leave to do something else for awhile, and then come back with fresh eyes and scan for errors - poor sentence structure, tenses, spelling, etc. Your brain overlooks errors, even some that are blatantly obvious, because it knows what was meant to be conveyed through the writing. This makes it easy to skim over things too quickly.
    So yes. I probably re-edit everything I write at least once. I went through and edited this post, in fact. From one semi-OCD writer to another, I hope this is consolatory.

10. aidenofthetower profile image66
    aidenofthetowerposted 14 years ago

I do spend some times re-editing and updating my hubs. If I am re-reading it I will also fix errors that I see. However, I don't spend a lot of time doing that because I am here to make money. While quality is important, it isn't the most important thing. If your information is good then you are well on your way to a good or even great hub, even if there is an error or two.

However, your goals and the reason that you are writing here will determine whether or not your "perfectionism" is a waste. If you are writing purely for the joy of writing and you like it to be perfect that that is wonderful! If you are writing for money and feel you are spending too much time editing then that is also wonderful, but your "perfectionism" is going to slow you up.

Unfortunately, to make a lot of money writing online you need to have a lot of content...

11. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Ayup.

Back at my own site, I sometimes find stuff in posts that are many years old.

The only thing I do not do is rewrite history.  If I made a factual mistake or my opinion turned out to be wrong, I don't "fix" it.  I may add a note explaining the error, but I won't remove it.

Typos, bad spelling, awkward phrasing, poorly explained things, and newly found information: definitely and constantly.

12. Wayne Tilden profile image61
    Wayne Tildenposted 13 years ago

I do try to make sure that spelling, word usage, grammar, etc. are correct. I reread a Comment that I had made recently - on an Editing site - that was so poorly written I couldn't believe that I had written it - and it was too late to edit it. So I guess my answer is yes, but only enough to make it readable.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)