To edit or not to edit is it worth the unpublished status?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 12 years ago

I constantly look for ways to improve a hub, old, new or middle aged. It seems each time I'm brought back to a hub, by a new comment or notice any opportunity to change it I do so.

Now when we do that, the hub is no longer active until reviewed.  It becomes unpublished.  Most of my changes are cosmetic or removing old and or maybe dead links, and products that are no longer available, note the no amazon products etc.

Is it worth it to constantly improve and or edit hubs to keep them fresh and updated?

This is the message I get when I go into the editing format of any hub that is currently published;

Note: This hub is currently published. However, if you make any changes to it, it will immediately be unpublished until it has been re-approved for publication (which can take 24-48 hours).

How does this have an impact on the well being of the hub itself?

Thanks, Katie

1. viking305 profile image94
      viking305posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did not realise this is now happening.

Like yourself I always go back to see if my older hubs can be improved by re editing things here and there.  But I have not had the hub unpublished and had to wait for it to be reviewed first. Once I have made the changes I press Done Editing and the hub is still published. 

If this is the case I will not be editing any old hubs because if they are unpublished the hubs lose income and status on google search.

I will watch this forum with interest to see if this is now a new policy.

2. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most Hubbers will NOT need to submit their Hubs for republication after an edit.  Even Hubs that have been moderated in the past can be edited without a moderator checking it.  In some cases, Hubbers that have demonstrated poor practices on HubPages will need their Hubs to be checked by a moderator after editing.  This is not the case for most Hubbers and the average Hubber should have no problem editing their work and publishing it.  As for search engine rankings, it is a great idea to update your Hubs and keep them fresh.

katiem2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay so you say!  Anytime I go to the edit option, in any of my 301 hubs I get this message;

Note: This hub is currently published. However, if you make any changes to it, it will immediately be unpublished until it has been re-approved for publication (which can take 24-48 hours).

So your telling me I'm practicing poor practices, first I've heard of it!  Do elaborate!

1. Robin profile image86
          Robinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It might be best to take this offline and email Maddie or Norah about your issues and they can let you know the details.  My point wasn't to call you out on your "practices" just to let the community know that most Hubbers are not effected by editing their Hubs.  It is a great idea to update your Hubs when they need updating, and I didn't want other Hubbers to not update for fear that their Hubs wouldn't be out there in the cyber-world until a moderator republished them.

2. mdlawyer profile image44
    mdlawyerposted 12 years ago

May be it is part of the new initiatives of Hubpages admin. Editing may be required to undergo monitoring to ensure that no substandard editing is done.  I hope on review if found alright, it will be published.

Yes I'm sure that's there intent and yet maintenance editing is a must and benefits the community at large.  I guess I'll just need to continue on and face the fact that each time I edit a hub it is unpublished till monitored and re-released.

I just wonder how this affects the success and placement of the hub?

1. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If this is the case then HP are making a big mistake with this one.  We are told new mods have been drafted in, almost nobody drops in here from the office to deal with the mountain of questions - why do they want all that extra work from established hubbers tweaking their hubs ??

This is pretty stupid I would say - I waited more than a week for a hub to be republished - at that rate everyone could have most of their hubs down for months waiting.

Knock Knock - anyone up there listening ?????

Hey go check yours out and see if you get this message if you go into edit mode of one of your already published hubs...

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
            Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I went to check some of mine in edit mode and didn't see a notice.

Okay I must be in slap down, why I have no idea... hmmm and I've been working so hard to do a good job.  Thanks for the feedback.  smile

3. mdlawyer profile image44
    mdlawyerposted 12 years ago

A hub of mine was put up for revision for "wrong category" etc. After changing to a more appropriate category I submitted twice and the first message was repeated only and not yet published.

4. Peggy W profile image94
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

I was unaware that editing a hub temporarily caused it to be unpublished.  Does that affect ranking in Google and have to start over again?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It isn't required to unpublish a hub to edit it.
      If you unpublish a hub, depending on how long the hub is unpublished, then Yes, I would think it would have an effect. Otherwise, no.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Edit is always worth it. wink

I've always adhered to that train of thought, is it just me getting this message when I edit published hubs?

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Are you referring to hubs unpublished by HP or those that need to be revised for compliance (from a warning)? Those may have to be reviewed, but not a simple edit for hubs in compliance. I've never had to wait for a hub after editing. hmm

No I get this message when ever I go into edit mode of any hub that is currently published. 

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't get any message at all in edit mode. I edit and it's fine.

Something you may have to work out with HP, I don't know what to tell you. hmm  I'm sure it has something to do with all of the changes being implemented.

Do you know who I should contact to ask?

I'll contact the staff.

Thanks for the help

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would start with team@hubpages and ask for some clarification as to any issues with your hubs. I would insert this thread for reference. Have you received warnings on your hubs?
            I hope it all works out for you. I'm sure someone will be able to give you clearer answers.

Nope nothing serious with the exception of a few flagged hubs for having to many products per word, I corrected them and they were quickly republished. 

Who knows, I do have a few links back to my website on some hubs, not many as I've been eliminating them given the new standards. 

I'm sure I'll hear soon and correct what ever it is.  For some reason I'm being watched carefully.  Hmmm mysteries.

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
                Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear this.  I've been doing editing the whole day and have not come across any red warning.  Good luck , katiem.  I hope it's just a glitch.

7. TerryGl profile image58
    TerryGlposted 12 years ago

No its not a glitch. Katie asked were the pipe key | was on a keyboard. The next thing that happened was

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/72956?p … ost1590381

Now both Katie and I have the big red box. We have been tagged over a simple question that received a heavy handed response and the thread was closed to reply.

1. White Teeth profile image60
      White Teethposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's F'd up...

They were not talking about spinning hubs. They were talking about spinning short 100-200 CHARACTER (not words) blurbs for social bookmarks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)