Hiding The Posts of Certain Hubbers - Is this practicable?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (78 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Hi,

Quite often, forum threads are taken over by serial thread spammers, whose only purpose on hub pages seems to be to annoy and disrupt any thread in which they take part..

I think it would be great if a flag could be set so we can choose to make posts from selected hubbers invisible.

Any chance of doing this?

(Either that, or give me a big red button where I can delete anyone I don't like lol )

cheers, Eric G.

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent idea.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

If Thine Face Offends Thee - Strike it Out? lol

Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd still have one to go. cool

3. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I've asked for a 'block' feature before too. Is that what you mean?

Some sites have a feature where you can block individuals. Other people see their posts, you do not.

I think it would be nice. Sometimes the trolls here get fed too much. smile

Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Exactly.
      (but a big red button would be great too! cool

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Maybe it could be Nuked in the newbie selection process.

5. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Could be a good idea. I just wish sometimes we could post anonymously, as there are times I have to restrain my fingers from my keyboard (lol) from giving certain responses.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I knew you had that fire  locked up inside you somewhere. wink

6. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Yes Yes =2 votes

seems like a logical option to block

so what time does the office open for business

I gotta $1..and fresh doughnuts smile

7. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

we all have fire within us.  Mind you, I've always been terrified of spontaneously ombusting.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep specially when its a hotflash lol sigh

2. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always get that vibe from you, Cindy. wink

8. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I'm desperate to start with the hotflashes, but menopause seems to be eluding me

well ask for it when its wintertime CV,trust me , its not a sexy look , I feel like a dam firefly ..lightin up my own space ..lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Be careful what you wish for, cindyvine!

9. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

What I'm confused on is the mere fact that some of you are giving your opinions, and acting the same way as those you don't care to hear.  Everyone has the right to free speech, everyone has the right to their opinions, everyone has the right to ignore, or comment. It seems to me that if you comment, then why would you expect that person to leave, when in fact your doing the very thing, he/she is after, to feed them exactly what they wanted. smile

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree. The forum is for everybody  And some people that have been here long are so dumb as the  people they want to ban big_smile

1. profile image0
        Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually--not Ban. If you READ what Eric said, it states IGNORE. It just gets more than a little old when the same hubbers pop up over and over again starting inane threads and leaving ridiculous meaningless comments to up their post count. We do ignore them as much as we can, but if my face was splattered around here half as much as certain others, you'd get tired of it too.

Some people who have not been here very long seem to think they know more than they do

Sometimes newbies don't know how to begin with and are attemtpting an approach. I've seen most of you being rude to some of them just because the question seems silly or pointless.

Im kinda an IB=in betweeny
            but I was new once , I hear ya
            and one day you will not be new and you will hear them too.

Tantrum IMO ,it takes two people to communicate properly.

I'm hearing them all right. I've been in hub pages for more than 8 months now, writing under different names. And a lot of you people are my fans big_smile  For example B.C is my fan in 2 of them lol

Cool so we joined around the same time , cept im just one person, boy do I have some catchin up to do lol..

2. manlypoetryman profile image82
                manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

IMHO, The forums should be open for everyone that is a hubber to participate in...whether they are a newbie or been here for two years. They are kind of unique...each one (forum topics). As writers we all should be able to keep up with spammers and the intelligent ones...alike. Then hit the report button if they blatantly foul out...over and over again with unacceptable behavior!

2. profile image0

I don't feel I've been rude to anyone...maybe I'm wrong. I can say I have gotten fed up a lot lately, not just within the forums, and have opened my mouth more than usual. I'm usually pretty good at just staying out of it--ignoring it. but there comes a time when you can't ignore anymore.

I answer questions all the time and have told newbies to ask q's anytime. I have seen others who have been around far longer than I give rude or short answers, but thats not what we're referring to. I am so tired of seeing three and four threads started in the course of an hour, all devoted to the same thing. I'm tired of hubbers (new or old) mouthing off about things they have no knowledge of. I'm tired of ridiculous adds to threads just to up a post count. Sometimes hubbers can be mean spirited too and that gets really old.

Yes, there is a report button but that is for spam and I would never report a hubber that was just voicing an opinion unless they were out and out rude or mean in their comment.

I do agree we should be able to voice our opinions as has been said in this trhread a few times--BUT that also means that those of us unhappy with the forums should be able to say so here without hypocrites telling us that opinion us wrong.

(BTW tantrum-im not calling YOU a hypocrtite, just used your quote)

yikes  Of course you're not calling me a hypocr..whatever. I've never quote that. I can't even spell that word right ! lol
              And if you were, I can't care less  big_smile

1. profile image0

lol well in that case, you're a hypocr...j/k big_smile

nothing intelligent 2 reply ?  Well more of the nonsense forum  big_smile  Bye ! Nice to meet you !( and here yes, I'm being hypocr.... lol )

1. profile image0

Hmmm...trying to push buttons?

2. profile image0
                    dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

one time, I called my dad a hypocrit...whatever, I went to bed without dinner. Ive never seen tantrum be bad? haha. you have to admit, that sounds a little funny...

2. profile image0

yeah, and like, its all written donw, on a computer. If soemone types words I dont care for, I dont read their profile. I dont read threads in certain forums if I feel sensitive. I can even trun off my computer!! SURE some people are unjustifialby nasty and wasting space, but I am pretty sure there is a little "report" button next to every single post. There is a chance sometimes things get taken wrong too. As not everyone here has the same first language, and you dont know if someone is joking cuz you cant see their face and all.

1. goodfriendiam profile image61
        goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that tantrum, I just think people like to complain, it gives them something to do. Been there myself at one time.......lol...intolerent.

Thats for sure, (cuz you cant see their face and all) We do have such a big language barrier, but I believe if you don't understand, move along, don't take it personally. do they know who you are. No, and in the end do they care to know, probably not, because they don't care for themselves more then likely. smile

3. Eaglekiwi profile image75

But dont you see it would be  good for everyone, if we had that button to click 'ignore posts' or 'make invisible' thats very fair. Its like saying ,well youre free to click me off too, anytime you want, today ,for a moment , or a week, and I wouldnt be any the wiser, Id just be typing to myself lol...
      I know people need to vent and this would also work for them.

Its not just the comments back and forth, they clog up a thread, they dont actually need to communicate, and if youre following an otherwise normal discussion ,it gets lost , who wants to scroll back past wierd pics or pages of ranting...not me

thing is they dont ( and I meaning the wierd posters) not people who have different opinions, they are very diff people IMO...in regular chat programmes these kinds of people would be banned from their first or second post..or simply 'on ignore'

Yea but I would have to click you off all the time.....LOL, just kidding smile but do you see my point, hell none of us would be visible because we all get offend in our own little way, there wouldn't be nothing to read and nothing to say....LOL...but of course this is only my opinion after all...LOL smile

Hey I wouldnt have a problem with you or anyone clickin me invisible or off (cuz I wouldnt know anyway) but point is...if ya got sick of someone ranting toooooo long or on repeat ..well I just say ..hell yes bring on the button lol
          and no im not that thin skinned, I read heaps of stuff n scroll past too...

Havent you ever been in a chat thing where the room is full of people chatting backn forth ,but then say out of 20/30 people , one dickhead ruins it and acts crazy...the majority will put him on ignore...but ya just click /unclick at random ,so its no biggy at all, but lets the majority enjoy their time as well.

1. profile image0

OH!!! see, Ive never been in a chat room, and here at hubpages is my first experience with forums. I suppose, a real IGNORE button would be helpfull, since thats what I do anyway, in my head,  and...Im pretty sure Ive been ignored at times myself...parkay...ha.  smile like, everybody has at one time or another been stupid, or annoyed, and yeah, I see where ignore would be cool. But so would an actual chat room? then forums could be used for what they are intended, and all us flighty people would have a seperate place to go without messing the structure up.

10. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Isn't that what the 'report' button is for?  To get rid of spammers or those that are off topic?

Yep but its not instantanous, like it has to be acted on by staff, which could be 24 hrs away.

11. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

Unfortunately,this isn't a chat room,its not designed that way.
    The easiest solution is just to ignore threads with nonsense or homophobic crap all over them. I've been avoiding posting in the forums for about a month after I started to get fed up with all of the rubbish being posted.

If you want a chat room, go and open one on paltalk or one of the other chat services then invite all of your mates into it and continue the discussion over there.
    It has the advantage / dis advantage of video and voice chat.

I do this every now and again if I've got something to develop as a project.It works reasonably well
    Regards
    Dennis

Yea well if we had another option ,you wouldnt have to avoid the forum for over a month.

I was trying to point out some of the options available that chat programmes use effectively is all.

On a side note, seems like certain hubbers prefer this forum to be like a chat site ,so they should be the ones moving there lol

12. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

if everyone talked like me, thought like me, agreed with me all the time, I would be dead from boredom, nothing to share, nothing to argue about, no one to ignore....LOL

Some people have to cope with their low steem and don't like to get into arguments

Heres an idea , create a newbies forum

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a great idea.  A probationary period for new people to post.  They would have to demonstrate that they have something intelligent to say before moving to the grownups table.

Well you're only a 3 month baby forum, so it's gonna b  all right 4 u  lol

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75

my feelers is hurt now lol

3. goodfriendiam profile image61

Hey crumb leaver,you would never graduate to the big leagues if that were the case...LOL smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Low steem? I have lots of energy myself smile

Talk therapy and self-affirmations can help with low steem problems....I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

13. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Eric? Admit it.

You just want that big shiny red button. Don't you?

If that's what you're after, I think you should be gifted with it.

A panic button. Only it's total wipe out smile

And as per the question - it's probably not that practical or doable but still, I can see where you're coming from.

14. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

No one is talking of banning anyone. I agree an ignore feature would be nice...

15. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I have to correct you...it is ESTEEM, not steem smile

So my therapeutical advice is no good? yikes

i don't take advices from a forum baby big_smile

Where are you forum baby ?  Changing your diapers? lol

Ya couldnt stand it any longer huh UW lol

3. tantrum profile image61

I't's not Grammar School Is it? I write fast and make mistakes. Everybody does around here big_smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just thought I would help you with your English...

thank you . Very kind of you

4. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hold you in high-esteem for pointing this out...

16. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

A forum is a free environment where anyone can share.  Sometimes it is intelligent, other times it is silly.  Not everyone comes online to have a thought provoking conversation about evolution vs. creation, or about power politics.

Some of the forums on here are meant for fun, so I see no point for a probationary period.  If I do not like the thread I stay away.  I just really like Hubpages the way it is personally.

I hate to say it, but I do see why some hubbers feel the forums are not as fun as they used to be.  A year ago people were having every type of thread under the sun, from serious to totally silly.  People still do have the fun conversations, but these are few and far between.

I wasnt refering to the majority SP ,just a couple(same [poster) who appeared to have hijacked the forum...9 threads (same topic)...
      anyway I like improvement no matter what it is ..but Im done so I hope goodfriend takes me off ignore now...lolj/k

I don't need a button to ignore, I just do, but I wouldn't ignore you, I find you very funny, and uplifting most of the time smile

2. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some of the threads are really weird.  There are too many threads on the same topic, I do notice that.  I try to stay within the same few topics lol

17. Eaglekiwi profile image75

I cant spell for shite either..

18. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

On almost any given message board you can put a member on ignore.  I'm not sure what platform Hubpages is on, but in general, you need to have a user cp where you are allowed to create your own settings & this is where you would put the members you don't want to see on "ignore".  Its not banning, its just ignoring and you can still publicly write whatever you want, you just won't see the answers of those you have chosen to "ignore".

19. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Heres an old proverb (from my native homeland)

If you must bow down
    Let it be to a lofter mountain wink

(then again ,if that mountains spewing molten lava, run like hell) lol

sounds like something you should practise big_smile

Why so defensive?

20. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I'm not in favor of any form of censorship.  I don't think there is a need for a button to ignore people, I can do that pretty well on my own. 

I've only been here 4 months so I'm still a newbie too and very much appreciated all the help I received when asked for.  Being new to this site does not mean I'm new to the internet or the ways of forum etiquitte.  We can all spot the spammers and the trolls and we have to restrain ourselvs from feeding them.

http://a5.vox.com/6a00c225264172549d00fa969c99250002-500pi

21. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I'm being ironic, not defensive

22. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Everybody without any exceptions should be responsible for anything they say. If someone thinks he or she has balls enough to voice an opinion in a public forum, then he or she should be prepared as well to receive whatever responses as a result, whether they be harsh or favorable. You cant expect everybody to fall in line with you like a bunch of mindless zombies. There're still people who hold their grounds, irrespective of what the popular notions might be. Call them troll, call the spammer, who cares. Now that's my opinion. Ha ha ha smile See the beauty of a forum, I can say whatever the hell I want or think is right, and anyone can choose to say he's right or he's dead wrong. That's life. You dont whine about it, you move on. Pure and simple.

Now that is intelligence smile

The only thing Pure and Simple is Toilet Tissue my friend lol

( I agree) Parkayyy

23. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Tantrum I feel like you got some kinda axe to grind or ya just bein a smartass lol

you'll never know  big_smile   An now i leave cause

I'm off to the beach
      with some lovely chick
      and a bunch of 'piƱa coladas'
      You're so nice to meet !
      so 'clever' so 'sweet'
      oh yes !...   Thank you !... De nada !  lol

1. profile image0

buenos nochas
        hasta manana

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)