Does free will exist?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. DeanMcDonnell profile image68
    DeanMcDonnellposted 13 years ago

Does free will exist?

In the Christian story of Adam and Eve, they were put into the garden of Eden and instructed NOT to eat from the apple.. Surely, if God knows all, he/she would have for-saw this happening right? Why put the tree in the garden? or better still, why draw attention to it?

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Yes, free will exists. Each person uses each and every day of their life. It is in every CHOICE each person makes, as is it in the thoughts they have before they make the choice.

3. DeanMcDonnell profile image68
    DeanMcDonnellposted 13 years ago

But with persuasion, conformity, compliance, how does one know if we aren't being directed towards a choice?

4. frequentflyer profile image60
    frequentflyerposted 13 years ago

Yes, God did see this happen, he gave EVERY man and woman alike the ability to choose. Temptation is very common, Adam and Eve were tempted by satan (in the form of a serpent) to eat the fruit and they CHOSE to eat it. God did for-see this, but he still gave them the choice.

5. dawnM profile image57
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

God has a path and we can choose to be part of that path or not, but the path will still continue weather we are on it or not.  So yes free will does exist.

By the way that was a great question!!!!

6. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Why not. He did not want to hide anything from humans.
    The choice was there and so was free will.

Free will is not choosing but understanding you don't need -better said, no necessity. Choice is deciding which to do -eat or not, good or evil, left right. Choice is a parallel within human consciousness.
    Free Will is outside of it.

7. profile image0
    Chasukposted 13 years ago

The best scientific evidence increasingly reveals man as a driverless meat puppet. Possessed of sentience, but trapped in the causal chain in the same manner that planets are trapped in their orbits.

In other words:

Determinism: 1
    Free Will: 0

However, I'm hoping that science is wrong. If it isn't, then composing this answer was destiny.

8. Dave Mathews profile image59
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

I believe that Lucifer-Satan had a discussion after God created man and woman, and it went something like this.

God announces to the angels of heaven that he created man and woman.

Lucifer asks why?? and God responds so that they will love me and worship meaccording to my will.

Lucifer, being jealous and envious of God, wishing to be God himself, asks;
    "Will these humans love you and obey you, because you created them and expect it from them?"

God replies "YES" I am their creator, I am their God.

Lucifer then tells God,

"Then this is not    'True Love'  for it to be true love, rather than blind obedience to their God their creator, they must have the right to choose to love you."

God responded; "Then they will choose whether to love me or not,whether to obey me or not.

I believe that this is how "Free Will" came to be.

Brother Dave.

9. angela_michelle profile image94
    angela_michelleposted 13 years ago

I have wondered the same thing many times.

10. terced ojos profile image60
    terced ojosposted 13 years ago

Free will is an enigmatic term that most people don't really think about in terms of truth.

Everyone in every society is socialized to go in certain directions; this direction is given on different levels and has varying degrees.

In the purist of minds free will is only possible apart from any indoctrination into any system.

I've never heard of any society poor or rich that does not have customs, culture, traditions, Gods, devils...

Adam and Eve will forever be a cunundrum for me.

Interestingly enough God kicked them out of the garden of eden because if they ate again of the "fruit" they would've become like God and his angels. I assume this to mean they would have been angelic and or God-like themselves.

11. Lady Rose profile image75
    Lady Roseposted 13 years ago

Yes. During our life span on Earth, God has limited Himself to not interveen in the majesty of our free will choice. Of course He knows the choices we will make, for there is no present, future or past to Him. As a good Father, He tries to guide His child the right way and warn him of the consequences of doing the wrong things, but ultimately He allows us to do what we want. And this is how we learn best. He is in total control.
    It is like when our kids are grown up and they make their own choices, no matter how much we try to talk them into not doing this or that because we know they are going to get hurt somehow, based on our own experiences. Even if they do the wrong choices and have to pay the consequences, we still love them and are there for them to help in any way we can. God does the same.

12. Alaster profile image59
    Alasterposted 13 years ago

I have heard alot of Christians say the God doesn't want robotic followers so it gives you a choice to have a closer relationship, at least that's what they say.

13. bibi16 profile image58
    bibi16posted 13 years ago

At least if you believe in it, you are choosing to be aligned with your outcome as harmoniously as possible. All that still sounds a little illogical to me. BB16

14. carolapple profile image74
    carolappleposted 13 years ago

Try reading Viktor Frankl's book "Man's Search for Meaning" in which Frankl describes how even in a concentration camp, after everything he owned or loved was taken away  - his clothing, his family, his career, his dignity - even his last scrap of paper on which he had written a precious manuscript - he found he could still choose something. He still had his free will.

15. Mitch Alan profile image79
    Mitch Alanposted 13 years ago

God created man to fellowship with and to love and be loved by.  Love can not, in any real sense, exist if the option to not love is not also present.  If free will did not exist, then we could not love God, but instead only be "programmed" to act in a certain way.  Free will, necessary for real love, also allows for sin.  God, knowing that we would sin, created us anyway.  He did this knowing that He would have to pay for that sin at the cross.  In light of this knowledge, He created us anyway.  That is how strong His love is for us.  He was willing to endure Calvary to share His love with us and through us.

16. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

Yes we have free will. GOD put the tree in the garden to see if man would trust in GOD to know what is best for human beings to stay in the relationship with GOD forever and ever on the earth for which he created the earth for this purpose with human beings. Human beings failed so GOD have a back up plan to restore the relationship with human beings to live on the earth with humanity in the future forever and ever when GOD will create a new heaven and new earth to dwell among mankind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)