Do horror films genuinely give you nightmares?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. EpicNoob profile image40
    EpicNoobposted 13 years ago

Do horror films genuinely give you nightmares?

Or do you just say that because you'd rather not watch them?

2. Kelley Harmon profile image60
    Kelley Harmonposted 13 years ago

I adore horror films. I don't consider "creepy" dreams nightmares. Battling monsters and surviving the zombie apocalypse are some of my favorite dreams. My nightmares are about much more mundane, realistic things.

3. BigbutSilent profile image59
    BigbutSilentposted 13 years ago

Actually not really at all.  It's all in your head. If you think more and more about the situation and the bad parts then you start getting scared, then you will generally be frightened. I'm not gonna lie I'm not the most bravest person but I get over it.  Also here's a tip to help you.  When I get scared of something, I usually watch the special or bonus features with the movie to see how the person really looks like or how they made the scene that got you scared. Ex. I was terrified about that movie drag me to he'll because of that old freakish lady so once I finished the movie I just watched a video interviewing her and she looked just like a normal person.  Once I saw that my fears went out the door.

4. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 13 years ago

As a child, yes. I still remember my nightmare as if it was yesterday. It was a mix of three different scary shows.
    #1 "The Body Snatchers"
    # 2  Karen Black's "Trilogy of Terror"
    #3  The Outer Limits episode of the monster who had no mouth ate some sort of goop floating like pond scum on the lake via it's shoulder.

JFC! I woke up in a bloody sweat!!!!!!! One of the very few dreams that I dreamt that I was flying.

It was dark and I felt like an outsider. I left the house where my family was all body snatched. I could tell because all the copies had one thing wrong. Like a funky eye, or mis-aligned ear.

I went to to the dog pen and petted my dog Princess and said, "At least I have you." As I was petting I noticed that the dog's eye was funked up. I went to the wood shed to get the axe  when the no-mouth monster was there.

I ran through the woods as fast as I could. But now the no-mouth monster was in front of me. I knew this aint no Hollywood movie set and assumed that there must be two. One in front and one in back of me.

I was in a patch of bramble bushes. I couldn't go left, right, forward or back. I couldn't go down into the earth so I went ....up.

I'm flying and the no-mouth monster is flying after me. I already knew that if I think about "Hey! I'm flying! - that I would stop flying.

I was flying over the parking lot of Red Oaks Mills Grocery lot and saw a lady packing her bags into her trunk. I thought if I dove out of sight fast enough into the trunk then the no-mouth monster wouldn't know where I went.

I tucked my arms as if wings and dived straight down like a falcon towards the open trunk just before she closed it.

Right before she closed it, The woman look up at me like Karen Black in the third vignette, where her mouth was filled with many many sharp little teeth like the scary little doll.

I swooped up at the last minute, and that's when I woke up in a sweat.

So Yeah, Hell Yeah ( when I was a kid)

5. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

No, but, in the 50s, as a kid, I watched Quatermass and the Pit from behind the sofa.  Later, as an adult I saw the film and find it disturbing, the thought of losing control because of behaviour patterns pre-set by an alien race.  I also find disturbing the scene where the frightened man falls in the church yard and the ground undulates beneath him.

6. Jarn profile image59
    Jarnposted 13 years ago

Hellraiser was the only film series that gave me nightmares. The villains were completely invincible, all knowing, and all powerful. It was simply a question of who could navigate the puzzle box maze first, the victim of the monster. I think the fact that the victim's suffering was either endless or they were converted into cenobites to propogate the doctrine of "blessed pain" was the source of what made it scary. No escape, no end, eternal torment in vivid detail.

7. MikeSyrSutton profile image71
    MikeSyrSuttonposted 13 years ago

Not anymore. When I was younger that was a different story.

8. profile image0
    MrMidNightposted 13 years ago

Yes for those who are children with wild imagination or just scary and forced to watched or adults who can't stomach horror anymore and let their dreams get out of control.

9. girlincape profile image77
    girlincapeposted 13 years ago

More than giving me nightmares they just keep me from sleeping. The only horror movie to ever really get to me (I generally avoid seeing them most of the time) was The Ring. All of the creepy sounds and images from Samara's tape kept me awake the whole night after I saw it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)