Why do people insist on calling fantasy science fiction? ...

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. dabeaner profile image62
    dabeanerposted 13 years ago

Why do people insist on calling fantasy science fiction? ...

Harry Potter and Twilight, for example, are fantasy, NOT science fiction.

Heinlein and Asimov wrote science fiction.  To see current authors, look up "Analog" magazine, for their stories and book reviews of real science fiction.

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

Yes, irritating  isn't it?  I think the the problem, perhaps, comes from lumping fantasy, science fiction and horror all under the heading of, speculative fiction.
    There are lots of quotes around by science fiction authors, I particularly like Rod Serling's definition:
    'Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible'
    I can't remember all of Orson Scott Card's definition, some thing about fantasy is in the village with forests, magic and nails, science fiction is in the city with computers, ray guns and rivets.
    Remembering those should make the difference easier; however, we also have to fight our way through the media who tell us what something is according to how the vendors want it marketed.

3. Mr. Happy profile image71
    Mr. Happyposted 13 years ago

To play the devil's advocate I'd have to say that science fiction and fantasy do have things in common: both genres are about things we imagine, things that do not exist in our day-to-day life. In that sense they do fall under the same category. On one side you get aliens (which can be lizard-men, giant insects, etc) and on the other side you get wizards and dragons ... more or less the same lol

4. glenn wallace profile image68
    glenn wallaceposted 13 years ago

This is a pet peeve of mine too. People always look at me like I'm crazy when I insist that Star Wars shouldn't be called Science Fiction at all, but rather space fantasy or something similar.

5. LobeliaToadfoot profile image61
    LobeliaToadfootposted 13 years ago

People who lump the two together probably aren't into either genre or work for a company that intentionally simplifies fantasy and science fiction.

Fantasy is mythological and spiritual; science fiction is scientific. Occasionally the two overlap, such as in Christopher Stasheff's Warlock series, but usually they're distinctly different. The similarity is that both are different quantum realities and can metaphorically represent this reality.

6. meow48 profile image67
    meow48posted 13 years ago

you are right they are different, but both escape reality, whether it is based on science/ technology vs, flights of fancy, myths, and legends.  But when people do mix them up, i think that the goal is for escape and with all things, aren't two escape routes better than one?  PLUS, when the first comics came out depicting tanks, lasers, computers, etc, like in the captain marvel series(forgive me if i got the name wrong, this is old trivia, hee hee), did that lay the ground work for reality... and garsh, star trek and their communicators design became cell phones??? so maybe the difference between the two genres is that sci fi can become a reality? the other is forced to stay in the imagination? just a thought.  me, i am into both and don't really care what it is called,  good question though, meow48

7. kaltopsyd profile image81
    kaltopsydposted 13 years ago

Because many people DO NOT KNOW that there's a difference. To many, the terms are interchangeable.  I recently discovered the difference. At times there can be a thin line between the two. For example, a sci-fi story set up in space could have some sorcery aspects... making it also fantasy.

8. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
    Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years ago

Or rather, the Insistence of calling ... Fantasy, Science Fiction ... is a matter that relates the Metaphysics, of Exact Sciences; thus, a looking into the limits of what could be made Possible, or what be humanly Desirable ... within the given Situation..

9. Tinsky profile image91
    Tinskyposted 13 years ago

Science Fiction is a sub-genre or spin-off of Fantasy.   Science Fiction Fantasy (SFF) includes creative works such as the Stargate television series and Doctor Who and lets not forget one of the original founding fathers of SFF, HG Wells.  SFF can  include other 'fantastical' species and physics that we simply don't understand and would classify as 'magic'  (or as some say, magic is an unexplained science).   There are many different genres of Fantasy and SFF is just one.  Harry Potter would in my opinion come under High Fantasy and Twilight is really a  Romance Fantasy.

10. profile image0
    surlyoldcatposted 13 years ago

Indeed, SF is more of a subgenre of the Genre fantasy. Think of it like this: You have drama, yes? There's crime drama, family drama, romantic drama, blabeddy blah blah blah.

And then you can break them down even further, but why bother, because I'm not a fan of crime, court-room, suspense, chilld, behind-the-scenes, upskirt, commercial-free, janitorial, canine drama.

Just can't eat popcorn to it.

11. Anaya M. Baker profile image76
    Anaya M. Bakerposted 13 years ago

People mix up fantasy and magical realism too. I think anything that deviates from traditional modes of viewing the world all get lumped into the fantasy genre.

12. dahoglund profile image72
    dahoglundposted 13 years ago

In my memory the two have generally  been linked in the pulp magazines of the 1940's and earlier.  The tile of one magazine was  as I recal "fantasy and science fiction" and published both genres. back then neither were considered respectable fiction. I myslef tend toward SF and am not a big fan of Fantasy.

13. etower036 profile image60
    etower036posted 13 years ago

I did some research on this very thing, and really there is no separation as far as I can see.  (you may disagree and this is just my observation.)

Fantasy
    -noun
    a supposition based on no solid foundation; visionary idea; illusion: dreams of Utopias and similar  (dictionary.com)

Science fiction
    -noun
    Literary fantasy involving the imagined impact of science on society (dictionary.com)

So to simply say science fiction and fantasy is two different areas of writing, we need to remember...  Jules Verne wrote Fantasies about time travel, and exploring the deepest realms of the sea, or discovery of a new world inside our own.

H G Wells even refered Verne to be "the Father of science fiction"   so there you have it....

Science fiction is fantasy.  Vampires, wizards and Aliens are fantasy, but are part of the world of science fiction.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I am an amateur author wanna be. (LOL)

14. Gyldenboy profile image63
    Gyldenboyposted 13 years ago

The misconception likely comes from 20th century mainstream media. Fantasy for a longtime, was commonly associated with the medieval age.

Throughout the 20th century, we saw changes in sci-fi too. Sci-fi would sometimes use supernatural and paranormal elements. Even, magic could find it's way in. Either as myths, advanced technology where you couldn't tell the difference between the two, or sometimes in co-existence creating mixed genres.

There's also debates among some, that you can only label a story with one genre even though it's a mixed genre. Example being, sci-fi with fantasy. Based on the amount of content relating to either genre, it's more likely to be marked by some as either sci-fi or fantasy. Not both. This is mainly for marketing purposes.

This, kinda makes fantasy a pain to explain to others. But, fantasy clearly uses magic and supernatural elements different contextually. There is no need for science, to make anything work or make sense of why this is possible.

Also, fantasy is so loosely defined you can have it work in any age and overlap with any genre. In the case of Twilight and Harry Potter, I'd say they are fantasy. It's modern fantasy. Which for some, is not easy to accept or don't understand the differences in the genres.

But, I think wikipedia has some great articles on both genres. If you wanted to make a point, on why one genre is this way and one is the other - this would be a great a start.

15. Chris412 profile image61
    Chris412posted 13 years ago

They are incredibly related. They are both part of the Speculative Fiction Uber-Genre, and in truth, with the exception of 'Hard Science Fiction'; most of the 'science' in science fiction is really fantasy.

I define things in degrees of how far away from reality they are. There is non-fiction, which is reality.

Then there is non-speculative fiction, which is not reality, but exists in a place of plausibility and even probability (this could be going on right now, or is going on right now). A fiction piece about a soldier in Iraq, would be non-speculative fiction, for example.

Then there is speculative fiction, which is not reality, and although plausible, isn't probable (for right now). However, even under speculative fiction, there is a major divide.

Hard Science Fiction and Hard Alternate History usually exist in the realm of possibility. This could've happened if a certain event happened, or this could be how it happens if a certain event happens.

General Science Fiction and Fantasy exist in a realm of neither possibility or plausibility, and therefore, are disconnected from reality. The vast majority of Science Fiction falls under this vein, even Star Trek (which fields high thinking concepts, but is based on very little actual science).

16. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 11 years ago

When I get to be King of the World we'll clear up this matter.....

17. TCaro profile image79
    TCaroposted 11 years ago

A  little bit of the confusion may come from the old pulp magazines and comic books that told science-fiction tales but had the world fantasy on their masthead.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)