Excited about a new puppy!

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (23 posts)
  1. gamergirl profile image87
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Well, I'm taking the plunge.  I'm adopting a red and white husky this week, and I'm totally stoked.

My dad has this story he likes to tell about my love for huskies.  When I was two years old I pulled a husky puppy into my stroller with me and offered it some of my juice from my bottle.  The poor thing, it loved my bottle and I loved holding it. 

Well now, 23 years later, I finally get to own a husky.  I'm both nervous and thrilled.

1. easy1 profile image60
      easy1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good luck and congrats on the new puppy,We just got one as well, a little Jack Russel.

2. caspar profile image60
    casparposted 16 years ago

Aww how sweet of baby you to give the puppy a drink.  That reminds me that I once caught my baby son toddling around swigging water from the hamster's bottle (ugh) which he'd pinched from its cage - quite the opposite to you.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Oooooh, puppy!   Can I have a cuddle when he arrives (you'll have to do a Hub on new puppies so we can see a pic).

I love dogs but I'm allergic to them.  I can tolerate them for short spells so I tend to monopolise my friends' and neighbours' dogs whenever I visit.  So my funny story about a dog was when I was living in a rented house.  One day I spied a lonely little boxer pup in my neighbour's garden, tied on the other side of the low dividing wall.  He was so grateful when I reached over and gave him a pat.

I got into a routine of playing with him a couple of times a day.  Eventually, one day I was there when my neighbour came out of her house.

"What a gorgeous puppy you've got," I said.
    "Yes," she said in a severe tone.  "We WERE training him to be a guard dog."

She told me in no uncertain terms not to play with him any more.  All I can say is, if someone's idea of turning a dog into a guard dog is to leave him tied up all alone all day, they don't deserve to own a dog.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I forgot to ask, when's the puppy actually arriving?

You realise we'll expect a Hub on "how it feels when your first puppy arrives home" five minutes after you get him!

I think I'm just as excited as Gamergirl...

5. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Definately do a hub with loads of pictures!!

Congrats!

Check out my training hubs; training should start the minute you bring a new pup home. ;-)

Where are you rescuing the pup from? A shelter or a husky rescue?

6. gamergirl profile image87

I'm actually adopting her from a lady who found the poor thing out in the cold a few weeks ago, the puppy had no tags on her collar.  The lady posted signs, put word out on craigslist about a lost puppy, even went around the neighborhood trying to find the owner.  After she had no luck, she advertised for someone to take the dog home as her other two dogs didn't get along with the husky. 

She did tell me that the reason the other dogs didn't get along with the husky is because they were jealous of the attention the husky was getting.  sad

I just finished cleaning my living room, next is the mountain of laundry the three of us busy people create and then my house is ready for the pup!  I'm super stoked.

The puppy comes home tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting, and I will absolutely post pictures as soon as I can, I promise to write a hub about my experiences as a first time dog owner!

7. Whitney05 profile image83

Sounds great! One less pup that goes to the pound. Very cool.

Just wanted to let you know I added a pet name section, in case you haven't picked out a name yet. Like most of the sections, it sends you to another of my hubs previously written.

I hope the weather permits, and PLEASE post pictures and a hub!!  :-)

8. gamergirl profile image87

Whitney, you are the absolute bomb-shiggity.

Your information is going to be a HUGE help over the coming months.

I do have pictures of her now, but they are a couple weeks old (they're the pictures that Jen took when she brought the dog into her home while trying to find the owner.)

9. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I'm getting wistful just thinking about a wiggly puppy.  Have fun gamergirl!

Whitney, I like your advice that training should start the minute the puppy comes home.  My cousin and her boyfriend have a ridiculously huge dog.  He is still a puppy and weighs more than my grown cousin.  I don't think they have trained him at all!  A dog that big, untrained, scares the crap out of me.

10. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

Oooh...congrats!! I love huskies---sweet and beautiful dogs. My MIL had an Alaskan malamute for years, and that was another sweetie. He was huge, and the neighborhood kids thought he was a wolf, but he was probably the nicest dog I've ever known.

Can't wait to see pics of the new "baby" smile (Come on....you know you're totally going to baby it!)

11. Whitney05 profile image83

Stacie, I'll admit, it's easier to give advice  than to take your own...

My APBT puppy is a little over 7 months old, and near 60 pounds (and still growing). She started her training soon after she found her way into my home, but after a few months, I slacked... Now, we have this monster dog who only listens if you have a  treat or pretend to. She jumps and does all sorts of bad things... :-\ My parents are bad with consistency- they'll allow her to jump one time and not the next. I try telling them, but instead they'd rather blame me. And, yes I know I've slacked off training, but they certainly don't halp. Ha. When I do try to work with her or she's in time out, my dad falls for the sad puppy eyes and whines, so that's the end of that... And trust me... She's good at acting pathetic... She's worse than a child!

Anyway... gamergirl... please let us know if you get the pup today.

12. gamergirl profile image87

CM:  You're totally right.  While the puppy will definitely know who's boss, in my own special way I'm going to lavish her with attention and love.

For your viewing pleasure I have posted a poem with one of the pictures that the lady I'm adopting this sweetheart from sent me.

Only 7 hours away.. I am so excited!!

Whitney:  Do you think that I should clear out my living room as if it is being babyproofed and then gradually work back in items like books and artwork, or should I leave it as-is and try and define her space for her through positive reinforcement?

Lordie, I get to walk through the pet store tonight with my doggie!  I cannot tell you all how excited I am.  23 years of loving this breed, wanting a husky, and now I'm a few hours from owning one!

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Gamergirl: You will want to go ahead and set up a general play area for the pup. You dont't have to necessarily take everything out of the room, but make sure to keep forbidden objects off the floor, meaning don't leave things you don't want the puppy to chew on in her reach. I would say if the books are in a bookshelf, they should be fine, but if you notice her going near them, I would start there telling her 'no or ''leave it.' I prefer 'leave it' because 'no' is such a general word that's more commonly used in a conversation. You can come up with your own phrase, I just fine 'leave it' works best for me. But, anyway, if the items are in a special place, such as in a book case, then I'd leave them, and work with reinforcement and basic training. Otherwise, if they're just sitting on the floor, I'd find a better place for them.

Do make sure she has all her shots up to date before walking her in a petstore, because petstore floors are heavily laden with germs and doggie health issues. Making sure she is up to date with her shots will help prevent her from getting any disease from other dogs that have walked, peed, pooed, or drooled on the floor. You can consider putting a towel in the buggy and having her sit on the towel, if she's not current on shots.

13. gamergirl profile image87

More great tips.

I know that in the end everything will work out.  I have printed out nearly everything you've posted my way and have it on hand to peek at if I need to, the next step waits for me this evening when I actually get her home.

You guys, I'm so anxious right now.

14. Eileen profile image58
    Eileenposted 16 years ago

Tell us how it goes! please!!!! write a hub on it! big_smile

15. Whitney05 profile image83

I'm just glad I can help. If you need anything else just let me know, and I'd be happy to help. You may be interested in my agility hubs, as huskies are highly energetic, and it'd be a great way to burn the energy.

16. gamergirl profile image87

I've put up a hub which I am hoping will entertain folks as well as give my first impressions of the puppy. 

On the suggestion of some wise folks, I bought her a Nylabone to chew on, though she doesn't seem super interested in it just yet.

Thanks to all of you for helping me last the 28 hours from when I agreed to adopt the sweet puppy of my dreams till she arrived.

We decided to keep her name from Jen, who is the lady I adopted from.  The puppy's name is Sierra, and she's already being called 'momma's babygirl" around our house.

17. Whitney05 profile image83

A lot of times dogs don't like the plain nylabones. Did you get any particular flavor?

You may consider the healthy edible nylabanes. I haven't met a dog who won't chew them. They are a little expensive considering they don't last long...

You may consider a kong toy. Since she's over her teething stage, she may not want to chew the nylabone, but a kong will keep her occupied. You can stuff it with a mixture of dog food and treats and put peanut butter, cheeze whiz, or the kong spray stuff to clog the hole. It should keep her busy. (My APBT pup knaws on hers. She'll like it days after she's cleaned it and just continue for 30 minutes.) But, again, not all dogs like them.

You're going to have to play the trial and error game for a while.

Oh, and you may want to try jeffersequine.com and you should find a good number of discount and wholesale prices on toys and even heartguard. You can click the pet tab at the top of the page.

18. gamergirl profile image87

Well, it's time for an update on Sierra, which I'll go into more detail on my Hub.

Here's the reader's digest version:

We have upgraded Sierra to rawhide after she snubbed her nylabone (it was the chicken flavor, we are going to try the beef and see if she likes it.)

The destruction toll so far:

Two sets of window blinds, one 40 dollar baby gate, two books and one instructional CD (we don't know how she got this out of it's sleeve and jewel case, but she did.)

Progress!  She has begun to use her puppy pads to do all her business. 

All in all, she's a very very happy dog, and I love her intensely.

19. Whitney05 profile image83

Remember rawhides are undigestible. I've heard stories of owners who stop giving their dogs rawhides and years later rush their dogs to the vet. Turn out a rawhide was causing a blockage in their intestines. Just watch out.

Also, with potty pads, they tend to teach dogs that it's ok to potty in the house. The pads tell the dogs it's ok just pee right here in the house and you won't get in trouble. If that makes sense.

Remember keep things you don't want eaten away from her reach.

I've lost tons of window blinds. Metal ones that cause a trip to the vet for x-rays. Ugh.

Good luck. It's a long road. ;-) Remember a tired puppy is a well behaved one. Exercise is the key.

20. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

Congratulations on Sierra!  You must be super excited (not that I can tell at all from your posts...)  :-)

We've had pretty good success with the Kong toys.  They seem to be largely indestructible, though not without some significant trying!  Keeps the dogs busy and occupied.  Especially with peanut butter in the middle, as Whitney suggested.

Keep up the great work - sounds like a match made for you!

Steph

21. profile image53
    danelbrayenposted 5 years ago

Target stick dog training can be a bendy preparing help. dogs, felines, and distinctive creatures correctly determine out how to touch an objective for a target stick dog training. Touching an objective is moreover a simple habits for new clicker mentors to instruct. You might also make use of any protest for an objective.

http://dogstrainingtools.com/2018/04/30 … -training/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)