Why is racism so prevalent in America?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. SEXYLADYDEE profile image63
    SEXYLADYDEEposted 13 years ago

Why is racism so prevalent in America?

Slavery ended hundreds of years ago yet institutions, churches, organizations and society still seems bound by an outdated and senseless traditions that keep certain races bound and thought of as less than.  Why is it necessary to destroy one to elevate the other?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

racism is everywhere and involves all races. one of the problems is that too many people want to blame white people but they fail to notice the racism among asians, blacks etc. to end racism admitting that it is something that all races are a part of is the first step. go on twitter and look at comments and look at who starts certain trending topics and you will see how different races offend others or talk ignorantly without regard for who may be reading their tweets. it's sickening.earlier there was a TT about women who don't give oral started by a certain race. now if that's not pitiful then what is.

3. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

Certainly there is and probably always will be some level of racism in our society just as there is various forms of racism around the world. Part of it is human nature and will be difficult to fix, part of it is sheer ignorance and requires a long time to breed out of generations.  At the same time, racism in America is big business.  There are people and organizations that make serious money off of the concept.  When it goes away so goes their source of revenue.  These are people who are quick to play the race card in almost any situation where they see opportunity.  These are people who stir the pot creating class envy and class warfare that ultimately only benefits themselves. The sad aspect is that some people of color still buy into this reasoning and constantly get used by these people.  I don't see this as true racism therefore if these activites went away, I think you would see an environment in which true racism was greatly reduced. WB

4. Levertis Steele profile image76
    Levertis Steeleposted 11 years ago

Slavery did not end hundreds of years ago. It was supposed to have been officially over in 1865, which was 147 years ago, but the laws of America allowed racists to create the Jim Crow Laws which put blacks back under slave laws. So, blacks were to think that they were free, but they were not! In some states, blacks were not allowed to look at whites or walk on the sidewalk when they approached. There were many ignorant and shameful Jim Crow laws. I marched in demonstrations myself just for the right to vote. So, my dear, slavery for blacks in America half-ended only a few decades ago. I sat at the back of the bus, endured whites spitting at me for no reason, and other shameful things that a person should not have experienced. Google those Jiim Crow laws to learn more about them. Those laws lasted until the Civil Rights Movement wiped most of them out. Blacks are not still fretting about JUST slavery. It is Jim Crow, an extention of slavery. But some want you to believe that we are hanging onto slavery. I do not hold grudges, but Jim Crow still affects me, and many who enforced those laws are still alive and well today. Again, I do believe that it is sinfully wrong to hold grudges, but do not expect me to forget my history. 

We should not blame present-day whites for slavery or Jim Crow, but I guarantee you that there are many whites today who would drag you under Jim Crow if they could. That is precisely why we blacks had better not forget slavery or Jim Crow. We should not use either to beat people over their heads, but we should recognize them as parts of our history. Most of black American history fell under slavery and Jim Crow. Good Lord! What history would we have if we pretended that those two did not exist? Forget your past if you are unwise! No white will forget their past no matter how you hate it! They have a right to remember theirs. You do too!

Whites in Mississippi hold onto the State confederate flag as if it is Jesus Christ Himself, although many blacks abhor it because it is also symbolic of slavery. It still flies, doesn't it? It is a fine reminder of slavery. And you are going to let someone make you feel guilty about remembering your past about slavery? Please! Mississippians have a right to keep the flag, in my opinion. Slavery happened, didn't it? I do not oppose the flag. It represents Mississippi. Mississippi is indeed a fine state. All history has good, bad, and ugly. That's life. All people should remember their history!

5. wendyb44 profile image38
    wendyb44posted 10 years ago

It is all about money.  Remember why slavery happen, it was to enslave a nation for another nations wealth.  That is what it was about, and if they did not keep a nation of people enslaved to work for them for free, they would not be where they are today, with the luxuries and benefits, that they have received from slavery.  These traditions live on in people and always will.  How do stop someone from believing they are better than, another.  It is impossible.  People are raised and breed with that mentality, and they believe.  How crazy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)