Will making a list of New Year Resolutions help you attain your dreams?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Debby Bruck profile image66
    Debby Bruckposted 13 years ago

Will making a list of New Year Resolutions help you attain your dreams?

Will your list be short or long? Is it a repeat of last year? Does it deal with character traits or hoping to attain a goal or accumulate some type of wealth? Do you believe the list will help you attain this?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4323829_f260.jpg

2. Beege215e profile image59
    Beege215eposted 13 years ago

Making a list is just that. making a list. In order to attain our dreams we have to do the work. Focus, act appropriately, follow through. If one dreams of buying something material, like a fast car, one would need to earn sufficient money to do that.  If one wanted to marry the woman of his dreams and have a fine family, he would have to develop the character to do that.  Put in the work, get the dreams.
    Making a list is fine for reminding us. seeing things written down can act as an impetus to get us moving in that direction, but it doesn't get the dream.  Work for it, earn it, and then cherish it.

3. profile image0
    Edliraposted 13 years ago

I don't believe in new year resolutions. If you want to change, achieve things in your life and have the will power needed any time is a good time to start and make it happen

4. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

I gave up making New Years resolutions years ago. I would just end up breaking them. When I want to get something done bad enough I will do it regardless. If it is weight I want to loose I go on a diet. I am a great believer of lists however just not as a New Years resolution solution.

5. sammyfiction profile image61
    sammyfictionposted 13 years ago

Ive tried manier time, and I even did a hub (My September Resolution) about it and then followed up my progress - and I didnt do good! Haha.
    Having a list does help motivation if it has the right itinerary then it does help improve one self smile
    Sammy

6. Ashantina profile image59
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

I've been making new year resolution lists for years now.
    I've looked back on past lists and found that I did eventually fulfil them, but not always in that year. The lists really work for me because it makes me prioritise my journey with more focus and clarity. I see it as my request to the Universe..
    I think its important to write them down.. or speak it. There is real power in words...

7. Rob Hanlon profile image60
    Rob Hanlonposted 13 years ago

Setting yourself small reachable goals will give a big score, and these achievements lay the foundation to carry on doing things that make one a better person.

The 'wealth' comes in maintaing a balanced lifestyle, knowing your own strengths and weaknesses.

Failing on achieving Resolutions shouldn't be seen as negative, but as a learning curve to approach things differently in future.

8. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

Definitely No! Just making a list of anything accomplishes absolutely nothing. Lists are only beneficial if they are realistic, and if they are attainable and completed, simply making the list does nothing more than maybe improving your penmanship.

9. profile image56
    ukmasterposted 13 years ago

New Year resolutions always helps to track the goals. Also it focusses the mind on what to do next.

I have written a hubpage on this.  Please visit http://hubpages.com/hub/Do-you-know-you … esolution/

10. tinaweha profile image60
    tinawehaposted 13 years ago

never has worked for me before, but I might make a list anyway. there's always a first

11. home witch profile image69
    home witchposted 13 years ago

I've always made a New Year list, not only at the time of the traditional New Year when I made a list for more tangible things or material things, but also at the start of the Pagan New Year which falls on Saimhain or Halloween. The list lets me think about where I am now, what I really want to achieve and then gives me the opportunity to find ways and means of making that possible.

For example, this year, one of my main New Year's resolutions is to lose the weight I gained over this previous year. So the list will include this, but it will also list that I want to start doing exercise again, at least three times a week for 40 minutes, that I want to stop eating so much chocolate and that I seriously want to limit the intake of carbohydrates from my diet. This gives me a proper plan. I do tend to use my resolutions and looking back I do generally achieve things on my list, mainly because I only put things there that I truly want to make happen in the year ahead.

12. profile image0
    KellyBowditchposted 13 years ago

Every year, I set myself a number of goals to achieve. Every year, I achieve a few of the simpler ones but fail at the harder/greater/more important ones and feel a sense of failure. This year, I'm not going to bother setting any 'goals' or 'resolutions' as such, just make a conscious effort to change a few of my behaviours.

13. DailyResearcher profile image61
    DailyResearcherposted 13 years ago

Discipline should come naturally, and blend with being enjoyable. Otherwise, things start slipping and being too rigid could lead to frustration and unhappiness.

14. Myra Tylor profile image61
    Myra Tylorposted 13 years ago

First I think it is a good question.Personally speaking, sometimes I will make New Year resolution.This is a way to push ourselves to realise our dreams. At the same time,  by making New Year resolutions, you will be clear about what goals you will achieve this year and how to achieve it.Life will be colorful and pleasant.

15. jtrader profile image36
    jtraderposted 13 years ago

I don't make New Year's resolutions. Throughout the year, whenever I see something that needs to be changed or something I want in my life, I set the goal and start working from that point in time.

16. dusy7969 profile image61
    dusy7969posted 13 years ago

I am going to make a list this year. I don't usually, the only resolution that I normally make is to lose weight. This year, my resolutions will be business related. If only google will cooperate!!!

17. profile image54
    SANTALIposted 13 years ago

i believe it will but u do as u please. smile

18. teamfusiongroup profile image61
    teamfusiongroupposted 13 years ago

For me, I use the new year to reassess where I've been and where I am going. Setting new plans at the start of the year puts the plan in motion then I act on it daily, adjusting accordingly.

19. Twilight Lawns profile image71
    Twilight Lawnsposted 13 years ago

I don't know whether you are asking the question generally or specifically to me.  I can only reply to what I do and have done every New Year.  I have never ever made any New Year's Resolutions.  maybe I am cynical or just practical, but I see all around me, people meaning well, yet doing nothing; saying the right words, but not acting on them; turning tear stained faces towards the tragedies of this world and yet not putting their hands into their pockets except to pay for personal pleasures or whatever,
    I can resolve to be a better  person, but I know as well as the next man, that the person I am is the best that he can be at this very minute.

20. LillyGrillzit profile image78
    LillyGrillzitposted 13 years ago

U.S. Taxpayers over withhold all year long, hoping to take care of a year's financial obligations in one day. The link to the IRS Withholding calculator is linked in this article. read more

21. Loves to Write profile image58
    Loves to Writeposted 13 years ago

My New Years resolutions have always seemed to help me stay on track but I try to pick realistic goals when I make them.

22. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

I don't think so. Attaining your dreams or goals requires much more.  If you understand it clearly enough to make a list, why do you need the list.  What we really need is the focus, the determination, the dedication to get to where we want to go with things.  It is just like the act of quitting in terms or smoking or drinking.  Unless you have made up your mind mentally that these things will happen and that you will prevail, the fact that you wrote down on a piece of paper that you desire to quit means little.  Life requires more than our token lists. WB

23. tyronecomania profile image61
    tyronecomaniaposted 13 years ago

Most have made a number of New Year’s resolutions throughout their lives. Yet, practically every resolution is broken a short time after being made. Why is this failure in achieving resolutions so common?
    Just face this to change instantly is really difficult!it takes patience and a lot of time to totally change your life but if there's a will,nothing is impossible.“What is the harm in wanting to change negative aspects of my life?” There is nothing wrong with aspiring to improve oneself. This desire to overcome weaknesses and problems is a proper attribute. However, it is a mindset that one should have all year long—actively trying to overcome every day—not just starting on January 1st and lasting just a few days at best.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)