How do you feel about doctors?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Dr. Amilia profile image40
    Dr. Amiliaposted 13 years ago

How do you feel about doctors?

2. The Ordinary Guy profile image57
    The Ordinary Guyposted 13 years ago

Doctor work  is an important profession in the society . Sometimes sickness  are easy to treat , sometimes difficult , but the most important thing being asked from these people is consideration , compassion and understanding towards their patients .

3. Zubair Ahmed profile image75
    Zubair Ahmedposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4504251_f260.jpg

I think doctors do a wonderful job. Especially if the doctor is down to earth and really cares for his/her patient.
    One thing that will affect the personal 121 care doctors provide to individuals is the "productionsation - there i just invented a word" of medical services, as in factory floor mentality being applied to the medical services provided to people.
    Doctors will have less quality time with their patients as their targets will be to push through as many patients as possible in a given time slot.

4. mrpooper profile image36
    mrpooperposted 13 years ago

I admire the profession. I like them as people. I just hate being poked and prodded. I also hate most medical procedures. However, I really can't blame the messenger (the doctor).

5. fayehelen profile image57
    fayehelenposted 13 years ago

My Nan was recently in hospital for a few weeks and I was disgusted with the way they spoke to her - degrading, no compassion or understanding.

I work with the metabolic unit in a nearby hospital, and see the dietitians and nurses doing most of the work without much respect from the doctors. They often seem more interested in their own ego's - focusing on interesting and challenging cases rather than equally life threatening, but 'boring' cases.

Therefore, from my own experiences, I feel quite negatively. I know they do an important job (that many would never have the intelligence and confidence to do), but they often lack the real care and interest in people that they need to have.

6. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

Do they do important work?  Yes.
    Have I ever had good, helpful service from doctors?  Yes, and I'm thankful for it.
    However, they are also a pretentious, patronising, bullying group of people who think they are more intelligent than everyone else, and are overblown by their self importance.
    On a scale of essential professions, they come a long way behind, engineers, farmers, fishermen, hunters, builders, carpenters and many other craft workers, teachers...  Only the sick need doctors, and then, only when they are sick.  And I'm getting fed up with my doctor's surgery who keep summoning me for tests to check for this, to check for that, as if I haven't more important things to do than sit there and justify their existence.  If I feel unwell, I go to the doctor, when I feel fine, I don't.  I don't want a bunch worriers hovering over me incase there is something wrong with me.  I will live until I die, and that doesn't make a jot of difference to the world in general.
    Sorry for the rant, you asked the question.

7. n_sightful profile image59
    n_sightfulposted 13 years ago

I have a lot of respect for doctors. They have a noble profession and deserve our respect. I think if a person is not satisfied with their doctor they should find one they are more comfortable with. Yes, some might make mistakes (they are human too), but overall we should be thankful for the knowledge and skill they have.

8. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 13 years ago

They seem to be necessary but I have little faith in them at all.  Unfortunately there is no alternative most of the time.

I've suffered a lot from wrong or bad diagnoses.  I've had my records lost even.  I studied my problems and was lucky enough to cure myself of some problems.

9. Jarn profile image60
    Jarnposted 13 years ago

Doctors are given too much power and authority in our society, often over subjects they have no expertise in. Most of them don't believe what their patients tell them, and refuse to believe a person might possibly be sick unless it can show up on a X-ray or blood test. They want an easy answer to every sick person they encounter, and if they can't find one, they dismiss it out of hand, leaving the sick person to suffer. Frankly, they disgust me.

10. Dennis Pace profile image60
    Dennis Paceposted 13 years ago

I have a son finishing med school and a brother who just retired from Being a Doc.  Doctors are people, some trying to help others.  And others I wonder.  But the medical system  from med schools, to hospitals, big pharma,  insurance, nursing homes etc.  is a total contagious  plague.  One huge sick, terminal  cancer.  Students are taught in medical school, that Pills will not cure disease.  Pills are bandaids.  Has any one been cured  of any malady by a pill.?  Then why do they continue to give us pills?  And why do you continue to take them.   If you are not sick, after they get through with you , you will be.  Take two of these and call me in the morning, if your not dead yet.   The whole system is all about disease.  They know precious little about Health, Period... and even less about preventing disease.  The human body is designed to fix itself.  Any thing modern society does, contrary to nature, makes our situation worse.  Personally , I have no health problems, and I take no medications.  I Take responsibility for my body, and expect others to do the same.  Nature is abounding with natural things to enhance our health and well being.  Most are free, and are easy to learn and incorporate into our lives.  We can choose to live healthy and free, or sick and enslaved to modern medicine.    I have made my choice.  and I am Happy with it.

11. Iadore profile image59
    Iadoreposted 13 years ago

I think you have to have a certain personality to be a doctor. You have to be considerate and compassionate. It should not be all about the fact that you graduate med school with top grades. Because your dealing with people dealing with different things in life and coming with various emotional levels. You have to be able to put yourself in their shoes.

12. Singular Investor profile image70
    Singular Investorposted 13 years ago

I avoid doctors as much as possible. They do not impress me as being either particularly competent or particularly interested in what they are doing.  I live in the UK and the standard response from any doctor seems to be 'come back in 7 days time'.
    Clearly doctors are necessary but my own personal experience of them has not been good. So now I just hang on till I get better or poke around the Internet and find old herbal recipes, that way I don't have to put up with the local quack's arrogant quackery (they are free here in the UK i.e. paid for in your taxes in advance whether you need them or not, so money is not the issue - just their general incompetence and inflated opinion of their own importance)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)