Do you think it is ok to give kids Ritalin or other drugs because of their behav

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Dr. Wendy profile image60
    Dr. Wendyposted 13 years ago

Do you think it is ok to give kids Ritalin or other drugs because of their behavior?

2. Mandeeadair profile image60
    Mandeeadairposted 13 years ago

My immediate answer would be no.  However, I do keep an open mind because I know that some people have had extreme cases and I would hate to judge someone if I haven't walked in their shoes.  I would do everything else I could before giving my child drugs, everything.....I have heard of many horrible side effects of drugs to treat ADD and of its overuse in children.  I am no opposed to something that would better my childs life it the problem were that extreme, so I guess it would all depend.

3. Top Health Spot profile image62
    Top Health Spotposted 13 years ago

No! absolutely not. How about a little more discipline and more physical outdoor exercise. People are too quick to give drugs to children because they are unable to cope with raising spirited or hard headed children. Where was the Ritalin when I was growing up?

4. Cindy2011 profile image60
    Cindy2011posted 13 years ago

No - we need to source the problems, not apply bandaids, which is what I think of Ritalin fixes.  Is Ritalin needed by some?  Maybe there are some who do need it, but these days teachers are quick to request it of their students. Sometimes it's only diet and behaviour that need correcting.

I socialize with teachers, who are quick to chat about the benefits of Ritalin in the classroom. Benefits referenced seem to only apply to the teacher, not the student.

I think we need to be very careful with how freely Ritalin is being handed out.

5. london55 profile image59
    london55posted 13 years ago

I work within the field of youth justice and a number of the young people have problems with Attention Defecit Disorder. It is hearbreaking to see these kids trying to lead normal lives.  they cannot achieve to thier full potential, cannot fit into society, have little or no understanding the hurdles they will face through life. Trying to work with these young people is challenging.    I would say at least to be medicated and have a chance at leading a normal life has got to be preferable to leading a chaotic lifestyle that has its own dangers.  The parents of these kids also are suffering and may have other children to nuture and look after. I say YES, at least its a chance.  Parents need support, some young people will just refuse to take the medication stating that it makes them feel strange and different, it can also i believe, affect growth, so monitering and support is a must if medication in the preferred choice. I would have been for it if it was one of my own children,

6. profile image0
    hemustincreaseposted 13 years ago

I personally see absolutely no benefit (for the child) in giving them Ritalin. It masks the ‘problem’ rather than seeks to work through it and overcome it. Being able to give attention to something whilst on a drug as powerful and mind altering as Ritalin is surely not what we would want for anybody? Is that not merely training them to be totally dependent upon a drug to enable them to function? I have no doubt that certain children truly do suffer from some chemical deficiencies which cause them to struggle in certain aspects of their day to day living. But far better to accept limitation than drug them up under the pretense of expanding their abilities. This question has no short answers. There are so many variables. But ultimately the parents of each child have the God given authority to make these decisions.

7. Tatjana-Mihaela profile image48
    Tatjana-Mihaelaposted 13 years ago

I am so sad when I hear that.
    At first - kids are today as they are because of style of life they lead - not enough of outdoor activities , nervous and exhausted parents who don`t know what to do with their own children, too many aggression on TV, on video and PC games, definitely wrong diet... so how they can be "normal" (whatever "normal" means) ? In addition, some kids are on drugs while not being problematic at all (but for some parents or teachers even perfectly normal child is not normal and cannot cope with him/her).
    Something is wrong with society and style of life people have today, and certainly with the way how society solves the problems - mind altering drugs as ultimate solution for everything from the earliest age cannot create healthy future of such society.  If this process continues, in following decades everyone will be on mind altering drugs from the earliest age till the end of life- I doubt that this will this make people better, healthier and more able to solve their own life problems...

8. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

no i don't. to me it's just an easy way to control your kids and people have become so damn lazy and so into their carreers that anything that makes it easier to control their kids they do. giving kids drugs can't have a good effect in the long run but certain doctors will convince us otherwise.

9. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4596496_f260.jpg

NO! As in HELL NO!

From url http://www.class-action-lawsuits.biz/Ritalin.php

In children, cardiovascular injuries can be accompanied by disturbing hallucinations, as it was revealed by the New Scientist Magazine on March 31, 2006. As with other harmful drugs, there are groups committed to create awareness among patients prescribed with this medicine, and encouraging them to file a Class Action Lawsuit for damages received for the use of Ritalin.

From wiki:

The Ritalin Class action lawsuits were a series of federal lawsuits in 2000, filed in five separate U.S. states. All five lawsuits were dismissed by the end of 2002. The lawsuits alleged that the makers of Methylphenidate (Ritalin) and the American Psychiatric Association had conspired to invent and promote the disorder ADHD to create a highly profitable market for the drug. The lawsuit also alleged that CHADD (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder) deliberately attempted to increase the supply of Ritalin and ease restrictions on the supply of Ritalin to help increase profits for Novartis.

What is the definition of 'normal'

10. ThunderKeys profile image63
    ThunderKeysposted 13 years ago

It's always best to apply the least intrusive interention possible. I would research behavioral parent training and really learn about effective evidence-based  strategies that in many cases have been demonstrated more effective than medication and, of course less harmful....

11. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 12 years ago

No-  absolutely not. 
    all it comes down to is drugging kids for the convenience of the adults.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)