Is it possible to remove the words YES/NO from our vaculabury?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Darknlovely3436 profile image70
    Darknlovely3436posted 13 years ago

Is it possible to remove the words YES/NO from our vaculabury?

Is it possible to remove those two words from our vaculabury? some might asked why, would they want too, what do you all think?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

i doubt it's possible and i wouldn't want to. it would be like trying to say maybe to everything. political correctiveness is like that and i will never be politically correct.

3. Angel McGee profile image60
    Angel McGeeposted 13 years ago

I highly doubt that is possible. It seems we have used those two words for hundreds of years so its basiclally hardwired into our brain. We learn it when we grow up and its hard not to say it.

4. Pamela N Red profile image83
    Pamela N Redposted 13 years ago

Not without coming across as wishy-washy. It's why many politicians aren't trusted.

People want a definite answer.

5. Gyldenboy profile image64
    Gyldenboyposted 13 years ago

It's those key words, every language has in some form. That everyone would find some difficulty to be without. In fact, these two words are more likely to be learned by those who don't speak English. Just as many English speakers are more likely to learn the yes/no equivalents of another language before traveling abroad.

Although, there are plenty of substitutes to 'yes/no.' But, since the words already exist, many people would probably prefer typing yes/no over affirmative/negative (among other variances). But not always. I often hear more variety in yes/no varieties spoken then I do see written.

So, it's here to stay. No need to change what works so well.

6. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

watch pollitics,.... it would seem that simple ol' yes and no have dissapeared from the laguage already.

7. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Certainly it is possible, we have plenty of other words in the language that mean very similar things, and are possibly even more accurate than the simple "yes" and "no" answers. The problem is, then people would actually have to expand their vocabulary to find the most appropriate word for their answer, which isn't quite as easy and therefore would never have widespread appeal.

8. ThunderKeys profile image63
    ThunderKeysposted 13 years ago

It is definitely possible to remove yes and no from your vocabulary. In fact saving your marriage or serious relationship may depend on it, to a certain extent. When couple's are distressed emotionally, they must learn how to listen for and locate core-relationship needs that have been frustrated. The best way to do this is through asking clarifying questions that are open-ended,- questions that don't easily lead to yes or no answers.

- Duddy.

9. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

I failed to understand why on God's green earth anyone would want to do that.  These words are absolutes and should be used as such.  "Can I have a drink of water"....Yes!   Can I play in the street....No!   Some things in too many instances do not warrant an explanation or a substantiation.  It is just fact.  Too many of us today avoid telling a child "no" because we feel compelled to explain it.  There is no explanation...it's "no".  When the time for discussion comes, you will let them know.  When parents decide to be parents, they start to understand that aspect...because the child does not...you have to help them until they can.  If they cannot understand the absolute aspects of "Yes" or "No", I seriously doubt they will understand why you want them to listen to you drone on for the next fifteen minutes attempting to make yourself feel good while you reinforce the word "No".  Give me a break...WB

10. Resilientmindz profile image61
    Resilientmindzposted 13 years ago

Probably not! Very necessary word's in my opinion.

11. Kamalesh050 profile image71
    Kamalesh050posted 13 years ago

I don't think its possible. These two short and simple words we have been using every single day since our childhood. I really don't see any good reason to have these removed.

12. Cordlessaccount profile image67
    Cordlessaccountposted 13 years ago

No it is not pos... touche, I see what you did there.

13. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 13 years ago

only if it's yep and naw- God forbid!  We can't replace them. They're the foundations of communication.

14. spookyfox profile image59
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

Sí.

15. Regi B. profile image40
    Regi B.posted 13 years ago

Is this some sort of trick question?

If yes, then I say yes.

If no, then I say no.

16. Joan1 profile image60
    Joan1posted 13 years ago

....Maybe.

Just try Darknlovely, Ask us that question again without using those two words.

17. profile image0
    wilbury4posted 13 years ago

We can't even answer your question positively without using one of them!
    Words like 'yes' and 'no' are necessary in language, we couldn't manage without them. Could use 'affirmative' and 'negative' instead but this still boils down to 'yes' and 'no'.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)