Why is it that American christianity is so different than other countries Christ

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. piccaly_ol_weasel profile image61
    piccaly_ol_weaselposted 13 years ago

Why is it that American christianity is so different than other countries Christianity ?

American preachers often live lavish lifestyles, have multiple homes, draw in lots of money, and tell people that Jesus was a capitalist and that God wants to bless you and He wants you to drive a Cadillac.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4784108_f260.jpg

2. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

Its not different, some people just  preach for the wrong reasons. The ? should of been "Why do some people use chistianity for profit and not the way god intended"

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

That is totally not true.  As the wife of a Lutheran pastor I can assure you that after 8 years of education, and working for under $30,000 a year--it is NOT about the money.  Yes, you will see TV preachers living a lavish lifestyle, but that is not the reality of everyday pastors.

Making this judgement is like judging all of American society by walking in the New York subways.  It simply isn't an accurate picture.

4. profile image52
    morducaiposted 13 years ago

Which christianity? If you look at the type of church that is usually standing for the message that "if you become christian you become rich, look at me!" it's an independent one without a fundament in earlier "real" churches. Leaders are often not really educated in the bible, like Benny Hinn, and usually preach what ever "they got revealed to them today". Sure they are obsessed with mammon and get rich quick!
    But if you look at traditional churches that doesn't have an authoritarian structure with an "infallible" leader in America you will probably see the same as you would when you go to your local church... Just because you see something more doesn't mean that it's more of it! For example, if you look at most american tv-shows most(or all) people will be slim and fit but in reality about 60% should be overweight and 30% obese...

5. Pedroemose profile image62
    Pedroemoseposted 13 years ago

I think I wrote a hub about this...but the short answer is that, since the beginning of America, Christianity has been the moral arm of the competition inherent in a Capitalist system (money is the economic arm, social position is the political arm, and education is the intellectual arm).  In other countries, Christianity is not employed by Capitalism and, in some cases, is not employed by any government whatsoever (especially in places where Christianity is outlawed).  What Christians need to do is divorce Christianity from the competitive mindset of Capitalism.  As long as the most respected member of the church is the person who is most popular, has the most amount of money, seems to follow the "rules," and has the highest social position...we haven't arrived.  As Jesus stated, the greatest among those in the church should be the servant.

6. PlanksandNails profile image79
    PlanksandNailsposted 13 years ago

It's called the prosperity gospel or "store up your treasures on earth" gospel.

7. piccaly_ol_weasel profile image61
    piccaly_ol_weaselposted 13 years ago

I think I am tired of explaining to my friends and family that my choice of religion is not based on money. Then I turn on the tv to see Benny Hinn and his Armani suit and rolex watch sitting there speaking about the gospel.
    Its like if you cant make money on anything else or have a good paying career, become an evangelical pastor....its pays well !

8. MilesArmbruster profile image60
    MilesArmbrusterposted 12 years ago

I have spent my entire adult life as a Bible teacher, counselor, and worship leader, and I have done it as a volunteer. I paid for my theological training, and I have rarely been paid for my expertise. I have never taught that Jesus was a capitalist nor do I have a Cadillac.
    There are always people who are willing to take advantage of religion to their own ends. There are always people who are willing to teach things that are misleading. There is nothing in the Bible that would encourage anyone to teach that we are guaranteed a wealthy life. But your question is an interesting one if we turn it around. What makes Christianity so amazing is that it can be a true faith for a very wealthy person with multiple houses and it can be true for a beggar. Christianity can change the heart of the youngest child or a hardened criminal. It can be found in communist countries, countries with kings, in capitalism, or anywhere. The amazing thing is that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the great equalizer - Galatians 3:28 says, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (NIV1984)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)