Why Shouldn't You Drink Cold Water After Eating Food?

Jump to Last Post 51-90 of 90 discussions (92 posts)
  1. funmontrealgirl profile image65
    funmontrealgirlposted 12 years ago

I have heard from nutritionists that you should not drink water 30 minutes before or after your meal as it can affect your digesting.

2. Katana Haley profile image60
    Katana Haleyposted 12 years ago

Working as a waitress, I met a Japanese lady who always ordered hot water with her food. Of course I had to inquire why, she told me that the warm water helps aid in the digestion of food by not allowing the fats she eats to coagulate. Cold water allows fat to slightly harden making it more difficult to pass through your body. She said it was common in Japan to do this, but I don't truly know. I do know her figure is nice and trim though!

3. jLou03 profile image58
    jLou03posted 12 years ago

they say it can make your tummy big, idk any proof btw.

4. eveofdusk profile image61
    eveofduskposted 12 years ago

Drinking anything with a meal will cause your food to become a slurry mix in the stomach, therefore causing a person to eat more and be hungrier.  Slowly eating your meals, chewing thoroughly and as the nurse said in another post waiting 30 minutes after finishing your meal to drink fluids is the best way to make sure the stomach is properly filled.  These are tips and tools given to many patients seeing nutritionists, as well as bariatric surgery patients.  ((Psychology Major, Healthcare employee 20 years))

5. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

It depends on the person really.  But drinking cold water can change the state of things that you have eaten.  Which in turn could cause indigestion.

6. mrpooper profile image38
    mrpooperposted 12 years ago

If we all drank water all at once after eating, the line at the bathroom would be way too long. I suggest wearing a diaper if you want to try this.

7. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 12 years ago

I'm pretty sure cold water after or before any meal shouldn't do you any damage. I've heard cold water helps burn calories and adjust your digestive system.

1. profile image55
      hattersmenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I thought that water was good too! Although, I do believe that tea is what  you should drink after eating food.

8. Jessica741 profile image60
    Jessica741posted 12 years ago

Easy and very interesting question.....I'm the kind of person you asking of, I don't like to drink tea, or coffee after dinner, it goes like that in the morning I drink milk, and sometimes coffee, at lunch and dinner only water, at night I make some tea.

9. Nadeeshan301 profile image68
    Nadeeshan301posted 12 years ago

Going along with many of the hubbers who have answered this question I also believe that there is no problem in drinking cold water after eating food.
    Speaking in medical and physiological grounds cold water may slightly delay gastirc emptying (time taken for food to leave the stomach) and may infact be beneficial for patients with diabetes (but only in theoritical grounds).

10. ShaneMorris profile image59
    ShaneMorrisposted 12 years ago

Well, one thing I know is certain, water is very good for you. I've rarely seen people practice consumption of healthy amounts of water though. One way to know you're drinking enough is that you're urine will appear completely clear, the more yellow it is, the more dehydrated you are. Yes, in rare cases it is possible to have too much water, such as when water is retained. Another odd case I heard of once, which I can't quote to the source, but apparently a woman had died from water intoxication when competing in a water drinking competition. Water intoxication is when brain functions are disrupted because of over hydration, which is when the body compiles an excessive amount of electrolytes because of drinking too much water. Now, as far as the temperature of the water - no worries. In fact, I suggest drinking it cold - it's delicious. Often before I go to work I'll leave me water bottle in the freezer so a big 'ole ice cube's waiting to refresh me later when I get home.

11. Pdxrecycler profile image60
    Pdxrecyclerposted 12 years ago

There is nothing more refreshing than a cold glass of water after eating, so as long as it isn't going to kill me, I'm going to drink it!

12. bangla-news profile image41
    bangla-newsposted 12 years ago

I think cold water has a negative performance on digestion.

13. omnianonymous profile image60
    omnianonymousposted 12 years ago

the cold water will require energy to increase the temp. once its been ingested thus cause some shock and taking energy away from digestion processes. drink warm tea with your meal. ancient chinese secret.

14. anildutt profile image61
    anilduttposted 12 years ago

Hi,

i don't think there would be any problem ...water is most important life giving product on the earth.we should leave this type of doubts and take the advantages of water

Thanks

15. profile image0
    dankendkposted 12 years ago

In my opinion, drinking cold water after eating food is injuring to the stomach (also in over-all health). One contributing factor is the reduction of enzymatic activities of the hydrolitic enzymes produced by the stomach. We know well that enzymes work efficiently at an ideal temperature (i.e. 37 degrees centigrade). Hampering that ability of the stomach to hydrolyze food somewhat forces the body to counterbalance that negative input. Thus, instead of a smooth and easy digestion, a poor GI movement and absorption results... big_smile

16. East Texas Girl profile image60
    East Texas Girlposted 12 years ago

Ice cold water is more acidic than room temperature water.  It can cause heartburn in someone that is prone to it.  Raising the ph of the food and water that you put into your body can eliminate Acid Ruflux or GERD.  I have suffered from Acid Reflux for years and this is what works for me.   Here is a website that explains ph in drinks.

http://alkalinedietnetwork.com/ph-level … d-ice-tea/

17. rajan jolly profile image91
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

When we eat food the digestive juices of the stomach which help in digestion  are secreted.These are acids in nature when they act on food heat is produced. When cold water is drunk with food or immediately after eating, the juices firstly get diluted and are not 100% effective thereafter.
    Secondly its like putting cold water on fire. Igniting this fire again takes a long time and hence we suffer from indigestion.
    The best way is to drink water preferably cool not cold, say 30 minutes before a heavy meal or drink water an hour after meals.

18. sassyabby1 profile image64
    sassyabby1posted 12 years ago

Hmmm... may be an "Old Wives' Tale" you have blended in with reality. One theory was that water during a meal would dilute the stomach acids and hinder proper digestion; however, it's not true.

The majority of people don't drink enough clear water throughout the day. Most recommendations state 8 to 12 eight ounce cups of water per day. Water after meals probably have a cleansing effect.

19. Troppus1 profile image61
    Troppus1posted 12 years ago

I agree with the hubbers that have stated cold water affecting digestion (ice cold). But there are many benefits to drinking cold water that I've learned about cold water requiring you to burn extra calories to "warm" it up in your system...not sure if it's credible information, but H20 is good for u, anyway you have it (filtered of course!).

20. patientcarecenter profile image60
    patientcarecenterposted 12 years ago

i think we should not drink water after eating because it can disturb the ph of the stomach and stop the digestions of the food and may lead to complications if at any cost you have to drink water drink normal fresh water.

21. zatalat profile image40
    zatalatposted 12 years ago

It is true that cold water slows down the digestion process. The cold water after eating food also affects throat if food was oily or sours in taste.

22. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

Good question. I haven't read all the answers here yet. I only know not to drink anything while eating. This is because the digestion process starts with saliva and proper chewing. When it is washed away then that portion of the process becomes the weak link.

23. TorremochaJ profile image40
    TorremochaJposted 12 years ago

I heard that it's bad for the teeth but does not found any proof for this. I will still drink cold water after eating.

24. Dr Rockpile profile image61
    Dr Rockpileposted 12 years ago

It makes absolutely no difference. Your body will turn up it's internal furnace to keep your body at the correct temperature. If anything, drinking cold water helps burn more calories.

25. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 12 years ago

According to Chinese medicine, cold water, especially ice water, are a shock to the system, and also take a lot of energy to warm up to body temperature, and that effort drains us. At the same time, drinking water (perhaps with a little fruit juice) is excellent so that we stay well hydrated. There is evidence that it is best to drink it slowly - in small 2oz sips. Better to drink cold water than none, and better yet to drink cool, body temperature, or hot water or naturally decaffeinated or herbal tea. I used to find ice water essential. Then I learned it was becuase my body was out of balance. Now, balancing my health, I enjoy cool water, not cold.

26. LeisureLife profile image68
    LeisureLifeposted 12 years ago

BUT, cold water is just soooo thirst quenching !

27. terrektwo profile image80
    terrektwoposted 12 years ago

Not to sure it should matter if you drink cold water, I've had a cold glass of water plenty of times during supper, am I missing something?

28. Eight8Consulting profile image58
    Eight8Consultingposted 12 years ago

The most common problem that is incurred from drinking cold water during or after meals is the discomfort of indigestion. If you eat something that contains an ingredient that is liquid when warm, but solid when it cools (like some oils, cheeses, and fats from meat), the cold water will cause it to solidify in your stomach. For instance, if you eat a grilled cheese sandwich: the cheese is soft when you ingest it, but it will solidify if you pour a bunch of cold water into your tummy, which makes it harder - and painful - to digest. The body does need liquid to digest food, but it does not need to be consumed at the same time. Your best bet is to have a glass of tepid water 15-20 minutes before eating, and follow your meal with some warm or hot coffee or tea.

29. 88888888 profile image40
    88888888posted 12 years ago

Cold water results in stopping digestion fire so it can cause serious problems

30. CuriousVagabond profile image60
    CuriousVagabondposted 12 years ago

My Momma always told me not to drink cold water after finishing a meal but never told me why; I surely found out why in a Mexican restaurant a couple years back. Everything was wonderful until the last course of some type of freak jalapeno enchilada smothered in salsa verde that seared my tongue -first bite- all the way down my throat to my stomach pit. I swiftly took a few dozen gulps of my begging ice cold water-- which felt marvelous at first, mind you-- but something strange began to happen inside me... I felt the movement of a thousand horses galloping inside my tummy, my arms and legs trembling from the inside out, my heart pounding like an African drum and with one extremity after another I began to grow... I grew and grew and grew. I wish she would have told me the essence of drinking cold water after eating food does exactly what Alice experiences when she eats that cookie in Wonderland. Now I'm a 12 foot tall giant, freak, freak of nature living in the giant underground tunnels of SomePlace America searching for my shrinking potion.

No... I figured someone had surely already answered this question so I decided to take the more creative route. All I can say is that it's never done me any noticeable harm. Have a wonderful day! smile

31. profile image0
    Saugasfinestposted 12 years ago

Drinking cold water in general is bad for you.

I probably wont be able to give you the scientific explanation of the reasons why it harms you, but i know its along the lines of your core temp being 98.6 degrees and you cooling it down drastically with cold water OR foods which have the same effect.

Room temp is best.

32. goego profile image82
    goegoposted 12 years ago

cramps, and it takes energy from your body to "heat" the water up to body temp, lengthening the digestion process.

33. greatstuff profile image92
    greatstuffposted 12 years ago

Water, whether cold or otherwise, should only be taken 1hour after meal. This is to allow the enzyme to do the digestive work more effectively. In general we should avoid cold water (although ice cold water always taste better than a warm water) as the destructive effect will only be seen as we get older..Rheumatism, Arthritis etc will start to creep in.

34. couponsexpert profile image59
    couponsexpertposted 12 years ago

This is a totally wrong concept that cold water solidifies the fat in your body and harms your digestion, because before touching the digestive system, the water has already took your body's temperature. So, only if you usually have problems with digestion or you usually feel bloated, it is not advised to drink water after eating, regardless if it is cold or hot water.

35. Geonews profile image56
    Geonewsposted 12 years ago

after eating, the stomach working continue-sly and breaking down the food due to which more hotness create and after drinking water we become ill..

36. profile image0
    Deepunetfishposted 12 years ago

Drinking water immediately after food dilutes the acid produced in your stomach to digest food and causes slowing down of the process of digestion

37. innovationgeek profile image59
    innovationgeekposted 12 years ago

Cold water in general isn't AS GOOD as warm water. It helps with digestion and to settle your food. If you go to China, they never offer you water with ice because they don't think it's healthy. Instead, you will always be offered warm water in order to improve your overall being.

38. prashantpujan profile image60
    prashantpujanposted 12 years ago

It helps in digestion i believe.. Also possible you does not turn fat as it reduces a quantum of fat by increasing metabolism of your body to greater extent

39. thegamer1 profile image58
    thegamer1posted 12 years ago

You actually should. There is no medical reason to avoid it. Just a myth! Really!

40. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 12 years ago

Why shouldn't you drink cold water after eating food? This is one question that seems to raise very many contradicting answers. There are people who agree that drinking cold water immediately after meals is not good for digestion of food. There are... read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)