Why are we so quick to label someone a 'conspiracy theorist'?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Sylvia's Thoughts profile image82
    Sylvia's Thoughtsposted 12 years ago

When someone has a different answer to an event other than the 'official' one, they are quickly discredited as a nut, or kook, or a 'conspiracy theorist'. If experts come up with radically different answers than the ones you have been told by the media or the government, shouldn't you at least give them the benefit of the doubt? There are on record, many so-called 'conspiracies' that turned out to be quite true. Why are we so quick to believe the very people who lie to us on a regular basis? Should you believe everything you read in the papers, hear on T.V., or are told by people in office?

2. justamber profile image61
    justamberposted 12 years ago

Thats probaly their way of of breaking us down. Trying to scare people from disagreeing with them.

3. 34th Bomb Group profile image61
    34th Bomb Groupposted 12 years ago

No, you shouldn't. One good thing that comes with age and experience is a healthy skepticism of all things said to us. This is more evident when it comes to politicians and the media. I remember my parents bashing both from time to time and I just didn't "get it."

What I'm having a REAL problem with just recently is being called a "racist" simply because I don't like the attitude and policies of certain Black politicians. I am NOT a racist. But I fear I may become one if they keep telling me that's what I am.

4. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 12 years ago

The fact is, you can't believe everything you read in a paper, hear on the radio, or see on television. It's foolish to accept everything as true without having discernment. To not question things that don't seem right and to just follow along as though everything's okay, inevitably puts the mind in a chained prison

5. ninacrimaldi profile image61
    ninacrimaldiposted 12 years ago

We are quick to give this label because unfortunetly most arevnarrow minded.

6. ibbarkingmad profile image58
    ibbarkingmadposted 12 years ago

Fear. People hate it when you go against the status quo. History shows that this has happened a lot. The pilgrims going to Massachusetts. Lord Baltimore founding Maryland as a refuge for Catholics from English protestants. Joseph Smith killed because people feared the Mormon faith. The Mormon's driven out of their homes and fleeing to Utah. Mahatma Gandhi's and Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassinations. All of these are just some small example of how people can justify turning a blind eye or even justifying a violent reaction to something that is not the "normal party line." President Obama recently called Tea Party members racist, ignorant people because of this same idea. The way Sarah Palin has been mocked by the media is just another example (I would never vote for her, but seriously, why do people have to be so mean?!?!). Fear of something different is the best thing that I can use to explain such behavior. Either that or hate.

7. MrMaranatha profile image73
    MrMaranathaposted 12 years ago

Simply put: Because its easier to Label them, than answer their objections.

Also: It is not uncommon for a "Conspiracy" to have a ton of proof behind it,  But even with all of the proof pointing at something being haywire, and that there is multiple layers of Lies and duplicity...  There is also a certain amount of Theory involved... because the truth of "Who done it" Or "Who all is involved in it" may be unknown or without tangible court evidence.

Lets face it...   take a look at the JFK assassination... go do some research.. are they still trying to say that Lee Harvey Oswald did it?  Thats a crock and everyone who has studied it knows it doesn't wash.  But if you try and talk about it, or about the greater and farther reaching ramifications of it.. what are you doing?
    Theorization of Conspiracies?  Right.

8. amysanders profile image59
    amysandersposted 12 years ago

Our society has become SO stuck on "if you dont think like me, you are my enemy"!  It is truly a shame that we can't disagree about things like we could years ago.  Politics, sports, religion... people can't just agree to disagree and leave it at that.  On top of it, not only do people get angry, they denigrate those who think differently, and usually do so hypocritically.  This group says that that group is nothing but hatemongers and talks about how they hope they all die....  not seeing the irony.

Embrace our differences.  If you don't like what someone is saying, respectfully disagree and disengage.  Its ok to do, you don't need to try to prove that you believe what you believe more than they believe what they believe.

9. shenessae profile image58
    shenessaeposted 12 years ago

I always wonder this myself. I question everything. We all should. It's ok to not blindly trust everything you are being told. People often have personal motives or political agendas that have nothing to do with the well being of society. It's important to gather your own information on the things you are passionate about or interested in. Do not rely on the media. Pick up a book or do you research on the internet. Remember, not everything you research on the internet will be true. If people want to label others who think for themselves as conspiracy theorists, so be it. I find those people to be a little narrow mindedand frankly, kind of scary!

10. WhatBigJohnThinks profile image61
    WhatBigJohnThinksposted 12 years ago

I think it's because humans always like to be seen as listed on the "in the know" category. Who wouldn't want to be the one that says, "I told you so"?

11. whiplashinfo profile image58
    whiplashinfoposted 12 years ago

The truth is, people as we are, we are judgemental. Without knowing that we hurt someone's feeling.

12. Nspeel profile image62
    Nspeelposted 12 years ago

In my opinion people truly do not want to know the truth, in my experiences people will only follow what many others appear to be leave. When it comes to things like 9-11 and things of this sort... people with actual facts, great points, and even a lot of them go as in depth to actually explain how theres no way it could have happened the way so many people be leave it did. Oh but the media says it did, which makes it appear that millions of people also be leave that fact is true. Do you know how many people think that a plane hit the pentagon? Yea a huge plane hitting the pentagon cause a little hole, and some how there was no jet fuel found anywhere? Well their facts make them a conspiracy theorist because they have more proof than the gov't. Its sad but many people are right to think the opposite and for this they do get called conspirators.

13. brooklyn00123 profile image59
    brooklyn00123posted 12 years ago

I think conspiracy theories scare people. They would like to believe that we live in a world where conspiracies don't exist, although they do and have for all of history.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)