Is there really nothing new under the sun?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. HeatherH104 profile image77
    HeatherH104posted 10 years ago

Is there really nothing new under the sun?

Do you believe everything that is, once was? Is it true that there is nothing new under the sun?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8190782_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I don't believe it. If it were true, there would no new inventions and we can see new ones pop up every day. Sure, a lot of things might be simply recycled ideas to make them better or someone taking two old ideas and combining them into one, but I think that still makes something new.

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

However anything that is "invented" is done so with raw materials that were already here. Who knows maybe these so called new inventions existed billions of years ago and we had to start back from scratch after the planet died. :-)

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

From a material aspect I suppose it is true. After all anything one could make would come from various components which already existed it's just a matter of assembling them in a different way.

As for events I guess it could be argued as well that nothing is new. We don't know how the grand canyon came to be or how they pyramids were built without the use of modern machines. Maybe UFOs or aliens have been visiting this planet for billions of years! Who knows no one is here to bear witness everything that ever occurred on the planet. Having said that we do know man has killed man, wars have been around forever, prostitution, drugs, the rise and fall of nations have all been documented. If one is a believer of the bible they also believe the world was destroyed once before so even if that happens it won't be the (first) time. :-)

HeatherH104posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do agree with what you've said. Seems like there is more proof daily that "advanced" technology existed long before we believed possible. Makes you wonder the real story of the pyramids, etc.

4. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

Sun rises every day. The act itself isn't new, yet every sunrise individually is unique. Each has a different color to the light, pattern of the clouds, or smell in the air. In fact, I think you could argue that even if you lived almost to infinity, you'd never see the exact same sunrise twice. Does it diminish simply because its similar? I don't know, I think that depends on the mind of the viewer.

Truth is, I think it might actually be possible that no two things are exactly alike. Even mass produced goods which roll off an assembly line have microscopic (or even macroscopic) variations in their structure.

I had a professor who made that sort of a comment to the class once. I found it horrifying. Even if the realist in me will admit that there is a lot of sameness in the world, I sure as heck don't want to embrace that notion. Give me dreams and magic. Take kisses for instance. Realistically, they have some mechanical redundancy, but are they ever exactly the same? Are they ever the same enough to stop doing them? Who knows, but I'd rather spend a lifetime trying to find that out than to concede that they might be and stop now. If I am wrong, well, I'll die wrong but very, very happy.

HeatherH104posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful! Yes, our experiences and unique existence are new. Thank you for that view point, it does give a more hopeful perspective.
      I was thinking more of technology, society living, the mystery of what came before. Are we repeating what was?

5. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Everything is new!

There are an infinite possible combinations. If I had a perfectly exact clone, we would occupy two distinctly different locations in space and would thus have uniquely different experiences, even if we were attached at the hip.

The idea that there is nothing new is based on the idea that things are similar. But they are never perfectly the same.

6. Jynzly profile image63
    Jynzlyposted 10 years ago

Everything under the sun is just a repetition and an innovation of the old things and ways or manner of doing. Everything is made with the same materials found under the sun. The same minds worked and evolve. Those considered advanced technology and having seemingly new usages are actually just responses to the needs of the time. What is permanent is man's insatiable needs that trigger him to discover new ways to satisfy his needs. There had always been advanced technology in any given era they only differ in forms but the objective is the same..."to meet man's needs and satisfy man's curriousity in any given time", nothing is new.

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Except for ever-changing technology, no. Everything else, nature, humanity, God, all remain the same.

8. kess profile image59
    kessposted 10 years ago

All things exist perfect in its being as the first day of its creation.

Here in time we see images of these things. Now being images they portray the original, but not entirely. They are influenced by time, and their existence is cycled...

So they become, they age , they dies, they are renewed infinitely until time ceases.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)