Would you ditch your significant other if they didn't want kids?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

Would you ditch your significant other if they didn't want kids?

Say you wanted kids,eventually and you found out the person you are dating has no desire to be a parent. Would you dump them?

2. profile image0
    dixie28714posted 12 years ago

yes, why waste each others time when in the long run you want different things in life, unless you really love them and decide yourself that kids aren't that important.  Good Luck!!

3. nycgrl profile image61
    nycgrlposted 12 years ago

I would try to find out that answer long before I got deeply involved because I very much want to have children. Even if I was deeply involved, I would have to let the relationship go. I respect the right that anyone has to not want to have children and I understand where they are coming from but myself I want to have 2 or 3 kids so why bother continuing when one or both of us will be unhappy? You should be with someone who wants the same things as you when it comes to the major stuff like children.

4. profile image56
    consentinoposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't say I would ditch them, but, it difinetly would be a problem for me.  If the person you are dating doesn't want kids, then I would end it nicely.

petsareagift.com

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

That would be the smart thing to do! Life is short!

It makes no sense to become emotionally invested in a relationship with someone who does not want what you want. Being "compatible" is the key to any successful relationship.

With over 6 Billion people on the planet the odds are pretty much in your favor that there is more than one person out here that will want the same things you want. Ultimately each of us is looking for someone who will love and accept us as we are. (That includes our mate's point of view. If you can't accept someone the way they are then they are not "the one" for you. We always say "communication" is important in any relationship.
    I'd say be thankful they were honest and did not say what you wanted to hear just to keep things going.
    The worse thing to do is to try and change another person. Most attempts lead to frustration on one's part and resentment on their mates.

6. puddingicecream profile image68
    puddingicecreamposted 12 years ago

I would try to come to an agreement and compromise. However, if I really, really wanted to have kids over that specific significant other, then I might choose to end the relationship instead of making both of us unhappy.

7. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 12 years ago

Yes, I would break up if having kids is ultra-important to me. So if I *really* wanted kids and the person I was dating didn't, then I would end the relationship.  It's too big of a thing to disagree on, in my opinion.

8. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 12 years ago

I think it would be a potential game-changer to find that out, but I wouldn't reclassify 'significant other' to  'ex' without giving the matter some serious thought first. And, maybe looking into the eyes of some of those parents down at the coffee house who are clearly not as besotted with the idea, now that little Johnny and Jenny have moved from an idealised dream, to a somewhat more challenging reality...

Certainly, if your definition 'significant other' encompasses husband or wife, then I'd be prepared to acknowledge it as something I should have found out before getting hitched, call it "my bad" and look forward to a lifetime of tables for two; with someone I'd still love.

9. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

This is a MAJOR thing!

I would know this about a man, long before he became " significant" in my life!

If he fooled or misled me over this, YES, it would be a deal breaker.

Ladies, take some charge and responsibilty here!

You will never endear a man to you by 'trapping' him........move on and do yourself a favor.

10. SpiffyD profile image82
    SpiffyDposted 12 years ago

I agree that it should be something that is discussed way before it get's too far. However, it's not as though that question pops up on the frist or second date. Therefore, if I found out that I'd hit the road. That would be a deal-breaker where one wants children or at least considers the possibility and the other doesn't.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)