Does it strike anyone else as odd that all of the questions seem to largely be d

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Offtrackmtb profile image60
    Offtrackmtbposted 12 years ago

Does it strike anyone else as odd that all of the questions seem to largely be debates over god?

No one is going to change anyone's mind. No Atheist is going to be swayed by the brilliance hidden in the Koran and suddenly believe, the reverse is just as unlikely.  Let's discuss writing! Anything! Who are your favorite Hubbers, what do you like to read? Do you think kids read enough? What did you read? What 'classics' truly are, and which aren't (there's a good unwinnable argument for those so inclined). What is the best book, hub, essay, you've read this year? Do you write elsewhere? Do you do it for a living?

2. epigramman profile image59
    epigrammanposted 12 years ago

....hold on .... you mean there is a God?

3. ShaneMorris profile image60
    ShaneMorrisposted 12 years ago

To your question, I agree wholeheartedly. We see this everywhere. On certain downtown street corners in the city I live in, on "go out nights", there are several groups that gather with picket signs that are meant to remind everyone of the horrible things they are doing. For example, one of the signs that I remember seeing read, "If you sleep with a woman who is divorced then it is blasphemous!" Now, depending on the religion or set of beliefs you follow, that is true - but it's not going to change anyone's mind. All it has done is motivated opinionated people to walk over and argue with them. What I'm saying is - people actually go over there and try to convince them they're wrong, or right, or are right but should be more humble. I'm sure the details of these arguments has gone to unfathomable lengths.

I will say that I have my own beliefs and I'm tied to them strongly, BUT I never push that anyone. Mainly, I don't do it because often through persistence the religious crowds have not only caused the people they are trying to help to walk away - but it sometimes even causes that person that walked away to begin hating that religious group, just by association.  Also, I have a roommate who doesn't believe in a higher power (You really wouldn't believe how hard it was just to get him to answer the question 'Do you believe in a higher power (a God)?') and although he wouldn't admit it he sometimes carries these same thoughts and I have to point this out to him. I tell him that he says that we should be appreciative of all things and accept people (to a certain extent at least)

4. Offtrackmtb profile image60
    Offtrackmtbposted 12 years ago

You guys are killing me!  (This answer is considered too short, who'd a thunk it? So now I am wasting everyone's time making it longer!)

5. Naomi's Banner profile image72
    Naomi's Bannerposted 12 years ago

This is really a lot of questions rolled into one and difficult at best to answer them all in one answer box short of writing a HUB. 
    I will pick the one near and dear to my heart.  It doesn't strike me as odd at all that many or most of the questions seem to be largely about God.  Our creator isn't hiding, He is out there in the hearts of mankind and He isn't going anywhere.  Man continues to seek after something to fill that missing spot in their heart when all the time it is God they seek after that unconditional love by a being so vast and so incomprehendable that learned scholars spend their lifetime understanding Him.
    No I am not surprised at all that mankind would focus on their creator that is the natural thing to do.  Just like a born baby focus's on its mother.  It is an enate desire built into us.

6. profile image56
    TajSinghposted 12 years ago

I don't think it's odd. This topic is very hot wherever you are in the web as well as offline.

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5428944_f260.jpg

Well, in answer to your question, all I can say is, "God only knows."  Sometimes I pray and pray that some of those religious questions stop showing up, for God's sake; and yet it seems there's no way in hell that's ever going to happen.  Why, in Heaven's name, so many lost souls, found souls, and souls in need of redemption continue to introduce religious questions and wording into a site that is clearly neither aimed at the Bible nor any other religious teachings, Heaven only knows.    Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...  I swear by all that's holy that the religious questions and under-tones on this site seem to multiply like the loaves and fishes.  Why, in God's name, a website must be so riddled with religious references and questions, I'll never know.  (Well, at least I won't know, maybe, until I rise up from the dead and take my place in the Kingdom of Heaven.  The Mass is ended.  Go in peace.  Thanks be to God (that the Mass has ended, of course).  Amen.  Bless you.  May God be with you on your quest to find the answer to your question, and I'll keep praying that you find those answers.

Jesus loves you, so watch for his face to appear on your next grilled cheese sandwich.  Mary loves you too, so watch for her face to show up on a dirty window the next time it rains.

8. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image60
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 12 years ago

i enjoy reading the ever brilliant disc world novels by Terry Pratchett, the whole god thing, i don't find it odd, just annoying, leave people be

9. skye2day profile image69
    skye2dayposted 12 years ago

Not at all. In the latter days there will be an outpouring of the Holy Spirit. There are many searching for truth. They are wondering about the future. People are struggling. God calls ALLto Him. It is written. In Love skye. this is hub material Praise God I say. Jesus is the way truth and life. Amen.

10. Eugene Hardy profile image59
    Eugene Hardyposted 12 years ago

It is what I would call "End Time Hysteria", where people so inclined to believe that it is the end of days, and the Mayan calender has not helped either.  It is also the primary way in which a certain segment of society tries to convert the rest of society to that religion.

That is all I'll say on that.

I haven't read too many books being that I'm focused on my own writing, but I'd pick these three science fiction writers:  Alastair Reynolds, Elizabeth Moon and Peter F. Hamilton.

11. Karmallama profile image70
    Karmallamaposted 11 years ago

It does not seem that odd since humans tend to answer seemingly unanswerable questions with "god". It only makes sense that people would think about it a lot and want to discuss it. 
    Despite what my profile says, I just started hubbing, and I am getting used to it. Hopefully, I'll have the hang of it soon, so I don't really have any favorites. If anyone has advice, please let me know. I would love to hear anything anyone has to offer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)