If you had the choice to either be a stay at home mom or to go out to work, whic

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. TKLMommy profile image60
    TKLMommyposted 12 years ago

If you had the choice to either be a stay at home mom or to go out to work, which would you choose?

I know there will be people on both sides of this question. There are those that can't handle staying home, they don't feel accomplished if they don't go out to work and bring home a paycheck. While others would rather be a stay at home mom and be an active part in their childrens lives.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

I would have been a stay at home mum, but I wasn't.However I have only worked 3 out of the 21 years as a mum on  a full time basis, so I suppose that i have been lucky

3. danielleantosz profile image74
    danielleantoszposted 12 years ago

I would pick some where in the middle. I don't have kids, but I could see staying home for the first year or two, or working from home.  After that, not sure.  I know I want to be my own boss, but I also wouldn't want to work seventy hours a week and have someone else raise my kids.  I do not judge women who want nothing more that to be a house wife, but I don't think I would be happy with out a career. For better or worse,  I associate a career with independence.

4. Monisajda profile image60
    Monisajdaposted 12 years ago

I am a stay at home mommy and I like it. I love being able to be with my daughters all the time and enjoy them a lot. I also feel a need for regaining my own identity and this is now slowly becoming possible. They are getting older and I am having more time to myself.

5. chanroth profile image49
    chanrothposted 12 years ago

I would work part time during my children school hour and a full time mother when they are home. I don't have children but for me, it has to be a must go to work and bring home the check. I don't like to depend on people bring the check to me, I like to go after it and earn it.

6. Loveslove profile image61
    Lovesloveposted 12 years ago

Im old fashioned..I dont like the idea of having children and then putting them in a Nursery or with a Child Minder whilst you are out at work all day...if you have children its your responsibility to look after them ....however some women have to work to make ends meet or to keep their career ..in that case dont have children....dont  have what you cant afford.
    There is a Child Minder at the end of our street I see small children dropped off at 7 am and picked up again at 6 pm.....some ready for school at that time..what time did those poor children have to be up and ready....? What quality time do they have with their parents ....? sorry if I offend anyone with my old fashioned views but I think if you are going to have children then look after them if you cant be a mum  24 hrs a day , then dont have children.

BEING A MUM (PARENT) IS A FULL TIME JOB NOT A PART TIME ONE !!

7. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years ago

Just a few months ago, I was on both sides. I was a full-time working mom. My son went to my mom's for the day while my husband and I worked as teachers. I loved my job so much, and I knew he was in great hands and not just with strangers. When my daughter was born, something changed in me. While I still loved my job, I knew I needed to be home with my kids and raise them myself ( I wrote a hub about it..).
    The loss of a pycheck has been rough, but we're making it. While being a SAHM is not for everyone, it ended up being the best choice for me.

8. lisabeaman profile image68
    lisabeamanposted 12 years ago

In my 17 years as a mom I've done both at one time or another. Working away from home with little ones certainly has it's ups and downs. It's really not an easy thing to leave your child in the care of someone else - especially if there are problems. (And there are all sorts of possible problems). However, staying home with small kids has its ups and downs as well. I really struggled with being a full time stay-at-home-mom.

For me, I found that working part-time is a great solution (especially if you can find very creative childcare options like close friends/trading babysitting/grandparents/daddy's off hours) Working part-time still gives you plenty of time with your kids, gives you some income, gets mom out and talking to grown-ups a little each week, and can help your child adapt to being away from mommy for short periods of time. So to answer your question... if I had the choice (meaning money was not an issue), I would work part-time... no more than 20 hours a week.

Even when kids are older it can be difficult to work full-time. I'm very fortunate to have a flexible schedule at my work so that if I'm needed for any reason, I can be there. However, I constantly feel that I do not have enough time and have learned to let certain things go in order to make time for the important things in life. I hope that all of my kids know that they are much more important to me than my career.

9. profile image0
    Kari_24posted 12 years ago

I don't have kids but I would want to stay at home for sure.  My mom stayed at home with me until I got older then she worked part-time.  I know having her there was best for me.

10. G.L.A. profile image81
    G.L.A.posted 12 years ago

First, I question why anyone would feel 'less' accomplished by making an effort to succeed at parenting, which is the most important job/career EVER. My heart goes out to those who want to be THERE for their children, but are financially forced to work outside the home. As for those who 'can't handle it', or rather, 'won't' handle it,  shame on you for having children in the first place. We are living in the 21st century.   There's no reason or excuse for unwanted children anymore.

11. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

Looking backwards in life...............

I would give up ANY career goal, to be with my kids.

Women, you CAN have it all.   But YOU CAN NOT have it all at the same time.

Do not "save" it for the grandkids.................give it to your own children.

12. Katya Drake profile image59
    Katya Drakeposted 12 years ago

If I had the choice I would rather stay at home. Unfortunately I have to work right now because I'm the bread winner. Having said that I understand the need that some have to go and work outside the home. Since I've had to go back to work I have noticed that I do not take the time I have at home for granted and I spend more meaningful time with them. It is also less stressful b/c I know how hard I have worked that day and what my check will be.

13. emmice08 profile image61
    emmice08posted 12 years ago

I am currently a stay at home mom.  It's been a big adjustment with accepting this as my "job" and life.  I had this mindset, as some other women have, that I went to school and should use my education.  I kind of looked at being a stay at home mom for "myself" as not a real job or of value.  In time, I saw that going out to work for a paycheck wouldn't benefit my family.  Childcare would eat up that money and I would miss out on certain experiences with my children.  Plus, I have seen many of times I would have had to call off because of sick child.  I don't regret being a SAHM, though an extra would be helpful.  I plan to write a hub about my experience.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)