Why do you write?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. emichael profile image60
    emichaelposted 12 years ago

Why do you write?

What is your earliest memory of your love for writing?
    What do you love about writing?
    What sparked that love?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5596906_f260.jpg

2. Esmeowl12 profile image68
    Esmeowl12posted 12 years ago

I write because I love to share words with others. I like to write true pieces that inform. I write about what I like - and since that's not always a top topic - I basically make no money from it. There's nothing quite like the satisfaction, though, of having someone give a positive comment on your work.

3. ambassadornchains profile image59
    ambassadornchainsposted 12 years ago

I began writing and illustrating stories when I was in 1st grade for my class - I loved the response I got.  Fellow students who hated reading found a new interest and I began writing more stories for my classmates and started teaching them to read!  This also began my first volunteer project which was a huge promotion to learn to read.

I loved being able to help others and boost their confidence and I loved having a creative outlet and interest others.

As I grew older, it became a "silent" outlet for my feelings/emotions that I was too scared to share with others and felt I had to hold in.  After attempting to write a book, writing about half of it, and then losing it due to an error on the computer, I lost all motivation for writing stories/books and began writing poetry and lyrics. 

I love that moment the pen hits the paper and your heart is poured out in a flood of words - sometimes beautiful and eloquent, other times ugly and harsh, but no matter what, it's a beautiful outpour of true emotion and nothing can beat that.  It's honesty in it's most pure/true form.  Writing everything down, relieving the burden of pent up ideas and emotions onto a keyboard or piece of paper, maybe even a type writer, is like getting lost in your own world where no one can touch you, no one can take back your thoughts or hold them against you.  Freedom.

I suppose that's what writing is for me...Freedom and passion, an art form.

I only wish I had more time to dedicate to this amazing art like I used to.

4. Dardia profile image60
    Dardiaposted 12 years ago

I started writing regularly to help myself through the grief of losing my father. It made it easier for me to deal with it. I missed him so much and wanted to talk to him. So I wrote it on paper. I also wrote to God to try to understand why He had taken my father away from me when I was so young. Didn't He know how badly I needed my father at that time? I never got my answer but I did grieve through the pens and pencils onto the papers. As I did this my heart and soul bled anger and loneliness as well as confusion. Somehow it eased the aching, little by little.

5. cre8ivOne profile image68
    cre8ivOneposted 12 years ago

I write because it comes naturally to me.  A day wouldn't be complete without some type of written tidbit of some sort.

6. kaydenlee profile image61
    kaydenleeposted 12 years ago

Middle school is probably my first memory of loving to write. I loved the response I got from school, and the feeling it gave me to know that what I wrote was good. I especially loved the pride my dad showed when it came to my writing, he used to turn my poetry into books for me, and show them to his friends when he had company. (I know, embarassing right?). Talked to him last night, and he told me how proud he was of me for publishing a book - I never thought about it before, but perhaps he was the one who sparked the love of writing.

7. Lilith Eden profile image80
    Lilith Edenposted 12 years ago

I write because I hope to combat ignorance.There is a terribly inequality in the dissemination of knowledge, and I wish to mend that rift in whatever ways I can.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)