Should homosexuals really be allowed to join the military?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. noturningback profile image60
    noturningbackposted 12 years ago

Should homosexuals really be allowed to join the military?

and allowed to be married by chaplains?

2. profile image0
    Mountain_Roseposted 12 years ago

Absolutely! They are born just as we are, they bleed the same color, they feel as we do, think just like everyone else...what does it matter if they prefer the same sex?

3. Mr. Happy profile image71
    Mr. Happyposted 12 years ago

I am not sure if there is a question of whether gay people should be allowed to join the army. I am quite convinced that they already can join the army. As Mountain_Rose noted, why do people's sexual preferences matter when it comes to one's job?
    The same goes about women in the army too - I know many women who could pass the physical and many men who couldn't. People entering the army should be judged on their abilities and not on their gender or sexual tales ...
    That's just my opinion though.

4. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 12 years ago

Back before sex with the same-sex was taboo, did you know that some militaries actually encouraged men to be lovers because they knew they would fight harder for their lovers than they would for their friends. I think they should be allowed to be part of the military even if it makes others uncomfortable. We will always find people we aren't comfortable around, but that's no reason to exclude them from protecting their country.

5. writer21 profile image56
    writer21posted 12 years ago

Of course! Why? Are there already laws that prohibits gays to join the military?

6. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

why shouldn't they be allowed. give me one good reason and maybe i will listen. any able bodied person should be allowed to fight for their country and their sexual preference should never be an issue. the want to stop gays from doing anything straights are allowed to do makes me sick. so do the fools who want these kinds of restrictions.

7. 910chris profile image76
    910chrisposted 12 years ago

Yes, because if a man or woman wants to fight and die for there country, who are we to tell them they can't? There sexual orientation should have no bearing on there right to join our armed forces. We are supposed to be an open and free thinking society, and as far as I am concerned; this should not even be an issue!

8. stephaniedas profile image71
    stephaniedasposted 12 years ago

Yes, I think they should. The fear that a gay person will somehow make his bunk mates uncomfortable is ridiculous- it is a myth that gay people have this uncontrollable sexuality and attraction to others. It is always inappropriate to hit on people at work, no matter the genders involved.

9. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 12 years ago

I'm pretty sure there are scientific studies out now that prove homosexuality is something you're born with, as opposed to a choice. So it's a mystery to me that anyone is still fighting it. They're human beings who were born a little different than us; why would that translate to fewer rights? It's like saying people with blonde hair can't join the military, or two blue eyed people can't marry each other. The opponents of gay rights are operating on an archaic mentality that is only still around because politicians and religious organizations use it for leverage. Just like with the movements for racial equality and gender equality, this boils down to our right, as U.S. citizens, to have equal treatment. Equal rights for the LGBT community are long overdue and to continue denying it is an insult to every historical figure that fought for our freedom.

10. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

Sure, I cannot imagine why not.  Alexander the Great was bisexual.  Do you think just because he slept with men that it somehow deterred him from being one the greatest military generals to have ever lived?  Ummmm, no.

11. platinumOwl4 profile image72
    platinumOwl4posted 12 years ago

The founding fathers patterned what is now known as America on a Roman model. The majority of the Roman soilders were same sex indiviuals. And they fought more feirce than some heterosexual males.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)