At what age does a person become "old?"

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. CWanamaker profile image94
    CWanamakerposted 12 years ago

At what age does a person become "old?"

I would like to hear people's opinions on this matter.

2. Jokylu profile image60
    Jokyluposted 12 years ago

People become old when they feel old. Age is a feeling not so much the number of years notched up. Some people are old at 50 while others are young at 80.

3. profile image0
    Daniella Lopezposted 12 years ago

Well as a kid I thought 20 sounded pretty old and 30 was ancient! However, I'm in between those two ages now and don't feel terribly old, so I suppose it's not as bad as I thought. 

I think it's all in how you feel. If you feel old and think of yourself as being old, then you're old. My 90 year-old grandma gets around better than I do and looks as if she were still in her early 60s. You'd never guess she's lived as long as she has. So it's definitely all in how you feel/treat yourself.

4. OutsideTheLines profile image61
    OutsideTheLinesposted 12 years ago

I think the answer depends on how old you are. I know when I was a little kid and my grandparents were in their forties I thought that was really old. Now I think it's somewhere in early to mid 80s.

5. youmeget profile image64
    youmegetposted 12 years ago

When you can't walk and talk, then you're old.

6. mcrawford76 profile image88
    mcrawford76posted 12 years ago

I think it's all very subjective. For instance, I know 70 year olds who are more active than I am at 35. I also think being a parent makes you old before your time.

But in the end I think when your body begins to fail you is when you're officially "old".

7. Larry Fields profile image67
    Larry Fieldsposted 12 years ago

By some measures, I'm a senior. Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer to the question. However I do know that as we grow older, our memory is the second thing to go.

8. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 12 years ago

I think you become old at the point you accept the label smile. I know some people who are hobbling around and contemplating the end of their life in their mid-60s....then on the other end of the spectrum, I recall a woman who stopped to talk to me while I was working at Wal-Mart some years ago. She was visibly an older woman, but in surprisingly good health and very active for what I judged to be her 70-some-odd years. We chatted about the horses she was to start training that spring, and about the trails she'd enjoyed snowshoeing on the month before....and in the middle of all this, she exclaimed, "And I'm 97 years old!!"

I'm 25 -- at the time I was 19 or 20 -- and in that moment, 97 didn't seem so old. That same week, a 67-year-old co-worker died. By his activity level and outward demeanor, I would have never guessed he was so young. Now I'm married to a 52-year-old who is convinced he's old, and I'm having a heck of a time explaining to him how no one is truly old when he can still curl up in front of a kung-fu movie with the 5-year-old and both of them giggle about the main character not getting a kiss from the leading lady.

9. MissA2011 profile image61
    MissA2011posted 12 years ago

When you stop seeing life with an optimistic and hopeful point of view...so, you really can be "old" at any age.

10. shwetha123 profile image60
    shwetha123posted 12 years ago

It depends on the person to person thinking. Some one behaves like a teenager even at the age of 50 while  some behaves like 50years old even at the age of 20.

So its all about your own thinking.

11. shop online fast profile image60
    shop online fastposted 12 years ago

one of my ex-co-workers told me that old is any body who is older than you by at least twenty years

so if you're 20, then old would be 40
    it you're 40, then old would be 60

but what if you're 60.  what would be old to you?

12. rjsadowski profile image69
    rjsadowskiposted 12 years ago

You become old when when you no longer have a dream and when you stop planning for the future. Some people become old at 50 and some people never grow old. As long as you are interested in living and continue to keep your mind active, your body will try to accomodate you.

13. oopsydoopsygirl profile image61
    oopsydoopsygirlposted 12 years ago

It depends on if you're male or female. A male has the luxury of becoming distinguished with age, while a woman grows old at the age of 35. It's all downhill from there for us women. smile I don't think a man becomes 'old' until he's well into his 70's.

14. Ronna Pennington profile image81
    Ronna Penningtonposted 11 years ago

The older I get, the higher that age mark gets. I say 90 is old big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)